could you recommend me a disc?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

could you recommend me a disc?

Postby monter_masher » Mon May 01, 2006 10:13 am

Hey everyone, I think that its time to get a new driver but im not sure what to get. So I was wondering if you guys could recommend me a straight flying driver with minimun fade(I think its fade I want a disc that wont go so much to the right at the end of its thrown and I thrown side arm). and I was also wondering for anyone that has used the new innova star plastics are they grippier than the champions? I cant even throw a champion it just slips out of my hands.
monter_masher
Noob

Postby Solty » Mon May 01, 2006 10:33 am

straight plus little fade = Teebird L?
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Postby monter_masher » Mon May 01, 2006 10:52 am

can a teebird be thrown as much far as say a valkryie? right now I have a teebird and I can throw it pretty far put when I get a good throw with my archangel it blows the tee bird out of the water disctance wise but I want something that flys straighter.
monter_masher
Noob

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon May 01, 2006 11:13 am

a teebird on a good rip can go a long ways past an archangel, but if the archangel is fading too much on you the teebird would fade more. The archagnel is quite understable and shouldnt fade much. How far is a good throw with the archangel?
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Aaron_D » Mon May 01, 2006 11:18 am

if im not mistaken the teebird holds the 2nd longest throw of all time...something like 750 feet...which is insane.
Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby monter_masher » Mon May 01, 2006 11:34 am

Oh I probally just cant throw to tee bird good enough yet I just got before winter last year so ill keep trying it out.
monter_masher
Noob

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon May 01, 2006 11:57 am

I would recommend a D cylcone or maybe a tracker. Cylcone is slower I believe.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Blake_T » Mon May 01, 2006 3:29 pm

the teebird held the distance record for about 45 minutes and was the first disc to break 800' (810'). the valk broke the teebird's record later that day w/ 820'.

teebirds can go as far as valks (and for upper powered players, farther on a golf line since they are more stable), they just require more height.

something you should choose between is straight OR max d, as you really won't find a disc that will be both.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby TexasOutlaw » Tue May 02, 2006 8:24 am

Actually if you throw sidearm, I was wrong about the cyclone. I think you need some overstable plastic for sidearm. The local players use monsters, x clones, flicks, and firebirds for sidearms.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed May 03, 2006 8:59 am

using stuff that overstable dosnt help teach the best form sidearm, and they also wont yield the same distance.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby roadkill » Wed May 03, 2006 9:53 am

Thatdirtykid wrote:a teebird on a good rip can go a long ways past an archangel, but if the archangel is fading too much on you the teebird would fade more. The archagnel is quite understable and shouldnt fade much. How far is a good throw with the archangel?

That all depends on whether he is throwing a DX Archangel or a Champion Archangel. The dx will be rather flippy and less stable than a teebird especially at the beginning and middle of flight. Whereas the Champion Archangel is drasticly more overstable than its dx counterpart and may actually be more stable than the teebird.

It's hard to reccommend a disc without seeing the thrower in action or knowing his power. One general principle appears to be the longest discs tend to have a little more fade. That aside if the thrower has decent smooth power I'd reccommend trying an X avenger. I've found them to be longer than a teebird without too much low speed fade.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed May 03, 2006 9:56 am

I cant disagree with the x avenger, they have a remarkably small amount of fade for the speed distance and stability they have. Once theyre alittle beat up I can see them being alittle beginner friendly, they have a ton of glide (my girlfriend can flick my beat up 168-9 x avenger further and more consistantly than her 164 dx valk or 153 champ valk
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby Blake_T » Wed May 03, 2006 3:08 pm

the x avengers vary a ton based upon their weight (similar to dx valks).

the lighter weight ones are straight but the max weight ones are pretty overstable. i do dig the sub-170g x avengers though.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Return to Equipment