found disc

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

found disc

Postby redspexxx » Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:24 am

i was recently playing one of my local courses when i stumbled upon a black disc with no name on it. it feels like a rock or a cobra, but im not sure. it has a gold stamp on it that says 1998 disc golf hall of fame on it. anyone know what type of disc this could be?
redspexxx
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Frank Delicious » Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:36 am

It is probably an Avair. I say that because of this
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby TexasOutlaw » Tue May 02, 2006 9:22 am

I also believe it is an aviar though I can't remember if the year on the one I was thinking about was 1998.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue May 02, 2006 9:27 am

clickly the linky, they are all aviars and have been made since 1993.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby TexasOutlaw » Tue May 02, 2006 10:19 am

Frank_Delicious wrote:clickly the linky, they are all aviars and have been made since 1993.

Oh ok; he's right then. I didn't realize it was a hyperlink.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby redspexxx » Thu May 04, 2006 8:07 am

is it like a special kind of aviar? it feels like a roc or a cobra, with the bellish shape and the notch lip, is there like a special kind of aviar that has there features? also, is this like a collectors disc?
redspexxx
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Weebl » Thu May 04, 2006 8:17 am

It possibly could be a Roc/Cobra I'm not too familiar with hall of famer discs. It is a big collectors item, if it's in good condition save it for prettiness, or keep on chucking it.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby bigs348 » Thu May 04, 2006 8:37 am

I'm definitely hesitant to say that they're all Aviars, because I do remember a few of them being much more midrange-looking. (And that site also says they're limited "addition" instead of "edition", so I don't want to trust everything I read there.)

Anyway, one of my friends has all of them since they started (signed by each year's inductees), so I'll ask him this weekend.
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby discmonkey42 » Thu May 04, 2006 9:20 am

I have a similar question. I found a darker green, champion disc. The only marking on it is the Innova champion star in the middle and it's kinda small. Has a rim that's kinda rocish, kinda mrvish, etc. The plastic is like jelly. Very flexible and plyable. I know with that stamp, it could be somewhat valuable, but I'm more interested in how I find out what it is. Someone at the course said it looked like "one of those worthless spiders", but I've read here and other places that people like the spider. Just wondering what other clues I can look for. I don't have a local shop to go to to compare it to anything.
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby bigs348 » Thu May 04, 2006 9:27 am

Most likely a Spider -- like a smaller diameter Roc but with a more rounded rim, those first runs were very pliable and soft, jelly feeling. I don't use them anymore, but the Spider is a pretty good disc. But people have their opinions, and if one guys thinks its worthless then more for the rest of us.
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu May 04, 2006 9:54 am

I loved the CE spiders, but those were hard, mabey its a first run champion spider, or mabey proline? either way I know people who search those out, probably offer $$ on ebay
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

CE spider

Postby twmccoy » Thu May 04, 2006 2:45 pm

I found a star stamped champ spider at badlands a while back. Haven't thrown it yet though. This is the only one of these I've ever seen.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu May 04, 2006 3:04 pm

is it fairly firm, the CE plastic (pearlish white usually) if it is Id reccomend selling it, I had a guy interested in mine when I was still throwing it, he offered me 25$, should have taken it :-\. Terry you might like it, you threw spiders a bit before right? it will proably be a bit more overstable than the regular champ spiders, and will hold a line better (firm plastic generally does)
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby presidio hills » Thu May 04, 2006 6:13 pm

redspexxx wrote:is it like a special kind of aviar? it feels like a roc or a cobra, with the bellish shape and the notch lip, is there like a special kind of aviar that has there features? also, is this like a collectors disc?

if the rim is shallow like a midrange (sounds like it is) than i would guess it was a roc from that era... perhaps a san marino or ontario. of course, all aviars say 'san marino' on the bottom... but the rim is deep. i *think* (but i'm not sure) that ontarios are smaller diameter.
i say that because i once found an 'ontario' made disc that's smaller diameter than a rancho roc... the writing on the bottom was long gone, no other markings, with a 'nor cal' stamp on the top. looking online i found some rancho rocs and the pictures looked similar. plus it's definitely not a spider and i don't know what other small diameter midranges innova makes...

the star stamped clear gummy plastic sounds like a spider to me, too. if you like the way it throws, use it... don't let local joe tell you what midrange to throw. i've seen a few people use those for putting, too.
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Discmonkey42's Mystery Disc

Postby Barbikes » Thu May 04, 2006 8:55 pm

That's interesting! If it's an Innova disc on the underside in the middle just written with a ballpoint pen it should have the weight and a letter or two. The letters are the discs abbreviation. Like "O" for orc or "WR" for wraith. Sometimes the ink is worn off but if you hold it just at the right angle under a strong light you can still make the letters out. -OR- Post a picture!
Barbikes
Barbikes
Tree Magnet

Next

Return to General Discussion