Small hands, reeks of cabbage

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Small hands, reeks of cabbage

Postby BThree » Mon May 09, 2005 8:20 pm

I've been throwing for about a year now, and have kind of hit a plateu in terms of distance-I'm able to reach about 380 when I'm throwing well, but day to day average is about 300 with accuracy.

This isn't bad, but what is killing me is consistency-I'm unable to find a repeatable grip that I feel comfortable with-I have very small hands for a full grown adult (about 7 inches from heel of the palm to the tip of my middle finger), and I have a hard time wrapping my fingers around the rim of most discs with a full four finger grip. What works well for me so far is throwing a beat up DX beast very hyzer (90 degrees to the ground on the pull through) with a two finger grip-however, counting on having a consistently beat DX disc in your bag is difficult.

When i throw something like a champion beast level, i get the flight pattern i should, but I still feel like my grip is off-after playing about 60 holes on Saturday, I've noticed a nice spot on the tip of my index finger that is rubbed raw, which has never happened before on a 60+ hole day for me. Also, I'm only rarely getting the "rip," and i'm pretty sure its coming from the grip-I do not feel at all like I'm holding the disc nearly firmly enough.

Basically, what is happening is the grip thing has led me to much experimentation and thus inconsistency in my throws, so, any suggestions on grips or maybe different discs or something. What my goal is to throw a little longer while keeping my accuracy.
BThree
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Mon May 09, 2005 9:48 pm

one, it sounds like you are throwing with a lot of torque. unless your beast is THRASHED, you probably will not have enough power to flatten it from a 90 degree hyzer without consistent 400+ power without torquing it up/over.

i have small hands as well, about the same as yours, mine measure 7 1/4"

i suggest consulting:
http://www.discgolfreview.com/resources ... ipit.shtml

if you are getting the placement correct, and still having trouble, then you may have your index finger at too obtuse an angle to get good pressure. keep in mind nearly every driver made after the valkyrie in late 2000 (with the exceptions of the talon and sidewinder) have extremely wide rims.

if you find yourself unable to use any grip that involves an index finger rip, i suggest using a middle finger rip grip.

if your index finger gets rubbed raw, you likely have more of a slip grip than a rip. i'm not sure what you refer to as "rip" but i'm guessing you mean an audible pop. an audible pop says nothing about your throw other than you have a tight grip, as you actually get louder pops on slips.

if you feel the need to go to a narrower disc, the teebird and eagle are 2 very good narrower discs.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Blake_T » Mon May 09, 2005 9:49 pm

also, as for your comments on having consistently beat dx plastic... i carry 2-3 of each mold in dx plastic and don't have too much trouble as long as i rotate them out and keep a few broken in.
Blake_T

Postby BThree » Tue May 10, 2005 9:45 am

The beast *Is* trashed.

Perhaps a better explanation would be the throw I use to throw a wizard about 200'. Hyzer release, flattens over, finishes left.

Gonna go out on the field and try tweaking the grip some more this evening.

Perhaps your point on off-axis torque is more on point though-for instance, I often find myself turning things over-bulldogs, for instance, unless released hyzer, thrown hard, they turn over.
BThree
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Tue May 10, 2005 2:14 pm

i would guess you do have some torque over... as a bulldog really shoudln't turn over in most conditions.

sufficient grip experimentation with rip points, finger placement, etc. will probably help you settle in to someting.
Blake_T

Postby BThree » Tue May 10, 2005 6:41 pm

Ok, two hours of throwing in the vacant lot near my yard (and approximately 6 people stopping to stare at me throwing "frisbees"), I figured out the grip-I've found something that gives me a consistent nose down level release-Now throwing about 330 with consistent accuracy-I'm thinking the next thing to fix is my "whip" part-I noticed that I was hitting my left arm on the pull through, so I'm thinking I'm opening my shoulders before my hips, and thus screwing myself up.

Thanks for the help
BThree
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Tue May 10, 2005 11:10 pm

hitting your left shoulder is indicative of 1 of 2 things generally...

either
1) you are throwing too hard/with too much arm.
or
2) you are keeping your shoulders parallel during your throw and thus have a vertical axis of rotation through your body. ideally, the right shoulder will drop a bit during the reach and then finish a little higher. i suggest taking a look at chris heeren or micah dorius in the throw analysis section to see what i am talking about.

the right shoulder should open faster than the left shoulder and thus, the left arm/shoulder/pectoral should be out of the way on most flat/hyzer shots, but may still have some affect during annies/rollers.
Blake_T

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:23 am

Blake_T wrote:hitting your left shoulder is indicative of 1 of 2 things generally...

either
1) you are throwing too hard/with too much arm.

Sounds like trying to muscle it. Blake, what about a power grip with only 3 fingers instead of 4?
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Blake_T » Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:31 pm

please read the grip article on the main site.

will answer further questions after that.
Blake_T

Return to Technique