Disc weight and plastic

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Disc weight and plastic

Postby redspexxx » Mon May 08, 2006 8:54 am

all my friends keep telling me that i am throwing discs that are too light. they all play with max weight discs, and i try to stay in the 160-167 range. should i try to start throwing max weight discs?

also, is it true that dx plastic flys longer than Pro, CE or Star?
redspexxx
Fairway Surgeon

Postby distantdg » Mon May 08, 2006 9:44 am

I would say you should not go to max weight if you do not feel comfortable with max weight. You should throw the weight range where there is a good balance of control and distance. The lighter weights have more glide, while the max weights has more momentum to keep it going. As for the dx being the farthest flying plastic, yes this is true.
distantdg
Noob

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon May 08, 2006 9:47 am

How long have you been playing? I was taught to throw the lightest weight you can control. I still carry a 165 avenger though most of my discs are 171-173 now. Notice that they are still not max weight.

You want max weight if you want max stability or for dealing with wind; otherwise, YOU are correct in the weights you have. On the other hand, if you find yourself throwing with a lot of snap/power, you can start to consider stepping up in weight.

For Innova, DX flies farther than the others. The order of most flight is DX, pro, champion, then star (I think).

For Discraft, x, d, z, then esp.

Seeing that I don't have a cannon for an arm, I don't throw max weight and stick with x plastic most of the time.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby redspexxx » Mon May 08, 2006 11:53 am

i have only been plaing for 5 months, and currently i carry:
2 CE Orcs(161,160)
1 star valk(164)
1 dx firebird (167)
3 rocs, 2 dx, 1 SB( 165, 165, 180[special blend])
1 classic roc (167)
1 dx aero (167)

i can usually throw about 200-250 with the orcs, but after reading some things on here i am thinking about getting some dx eagles and trying to move up to a heavier weight, like 169-173. any advice?
redspexxx
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Blake_T » Mon May 08, 2006 1:43 pm

if you are only going 200-250' with orcs, then going heavier is NOT the answer. i would actually say drop the orcs for slower, flippier discs until you can break 300' with the slower discs.

very few players SHOULD throw max weight. these are usually players with tons of power and need the weight to add stability even though it sacrifices some distance (they have D to spare).

honestly, i would say unless you consistently break 400' should max weight for most discs even really be an idea, unless you use that disc for max stability rather than D.

it's easier to measure with putters/midranges since they will actually fly farther in max weight IF you have the arm for them. most players do not, and would get more midrange/putter D with lighter discs. btw, this means like, 375'+ power with a roc.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby redspexxx » Mon May 08, 2006 1:52 pm

what disc would you recommend for being "flippy"? like an eagle or teebird?
redspexxx
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Blake_T » Mon May 08, 2006 2:09 pm

nowadays a lot of people equate slow with flippy, but i would never call a teebird flippy. champ eagles are quite stable/overstable as well.

i have 3-4 articles on disc selection in the instructional articles section of the main site.

i would suggest reading up on them as it covers everything, weight, plastic selection, discs for power level, etc.
Blake_T

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon May 08, 2006 4:47 pm

TexasOutlaw wrote:How long have you been playing? I was taught to throw the lightest weight you can control. I still carry a 165 avenger though most of my discs are 171-173 now. Notice that they are still not max weight.

You want max weight if you want max stability or for dealing with wind; otherwise, YOU are correct in the weights you have. On the other hand, if you find yourself throwing with a lot of snap/power, you can start to consider stepping up in weight.

For Innova, DX flies farther than the others. The order of most flight is DX, pro, champion, then star (I think).

For Discraft, x, d, z, then esp.

Seeing that I don't have a cannon for an arm, I don't throw max weight and stick with x plastic most of the time.

you think Z is longer than ESP? Could you be throwing a broken in Z avenger against a new ESP avenger ;-)? Ive been working on breaking in my ESP avenger to fly more similar to a new X (although it wont be as long). right now it flies almost identical to my beat z avenger. and is a bit less stable than my new Z avenger. I would say my new Z is shorter than a new ESP.

and topic related, I have a bit of an arm and still perfer X plastic for more distance (while Z for shorter more predictable), and do not throw anything max weight. (168-173 for me!)
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Blake_T » Mon May 08, 2006 9:42 pm

the only esp disc i have thrown is the surge, so there really isn't anything to compare to.

a limited run avenger was probably one of discraft's worse marketing decisions over the past year when they sorely need more discs coming out in esp to give any kind of weight to the line.
Blake_T

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon May 08, 2006 10:01 pm

I agree, and I dont plan on buying any more unless they become a normal run. If I lose it It could be replaced by a new X avenger fairly easily. I am going to keep it in the bag though, Its getting close to that new x avenger stability and it would be nice to have one that will stay in that spot a while. (btw I am loving my avengers more and more, after watching two pros playing doubles throwing wraiths, most the time they needed eachothers shot because each time one of them were off the intended line, while my avenger was flying just how I intended...)
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Return to Equipment