Bag Frame

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Bag Frame

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon May 08, 2006 10:11 pm

I have been oogling the revo and gateway bags with frames instead of dividers, but I have very little $ so.... I made my own :D

Im kinda proud of it, here it is...

Testing it today i decided I like it.
It makes my bag alot sturdier, which in turn makes it more manageable to carry, and it dosnt catch, fold or interfere with the loading or unloading of any discs.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby calvarycoffee » Mon May 08, 2006 11:43 pm

schweet!

i upgraded to a frame bag last fall(revolution mini). i love it.

dave
Do not resist chances. . . and there will be one less thing you cannot do -ACG
calvarycoffee
Tree Magnet

awesome

Postby soaresjo » Tue May 09, 2006 1:37 am

that is sweet I must say. I have been wanting to attempt the construction of a leather bag. However, I really dont know where to start. If ever completed I am sure it would be an unique bag! Any ideas on dimensions?

-john
The Shark Loves Free Slurpees!
soaresjo
Noob

Postby garublador » Tue May 09, 2006 5:44 am

Nice. That looks sturdier than the frame in my Gateway bag.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby Jestyr » Tue May 09, 2006 8:02 am

Outstanding job!

It looks like you used acrylic for the sides -- what did you use for the rods? If you used acrylic like it looks, it is likely stronger (better) than the revo frame.

One suggestion I have, a clever bit on the revo bag is that it put a ribbed piping on the outside of the dowel (rod) to keep the discs from sliding. You could probably find something like that at Home Depot really cheap (or in a junkyard/trash bin, like my old art school days). Or, if you wanted to get really clever, you could cut the ribs yourself, but that might make the unit less structurally secure.

Really nice job. You could probably sell a few to make a few extra bucks to buy the bag part of a revo or gateway. :)
Jestyr
Noob

Postby TexasOutlaw » Tue May 09, 2006 8:36 am

That is awesome! I've been toying around with making my own for year just haven't gotten around to it. I was going to use plexiglass for the sides and cover the wooden dowels in the kind of thing used to run computer wires through.

What did you use?
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Jestyr » Tue May 09, 2006 9:15 am

Texas Outlaw: If you do end up using plexiglass, ask for "Clear Acrylic". Plexiglass is the brand name for clear acrylic, so you can almost always save money by getting the generic stuff.

It *looks* like ThatDirtyKid used a colored acrylic, which is like clear acrylic/plexi, only with color. The reflective shine in the photo is what makes me think that.

The acrylic is a very good choice, I think, but it can be a *little* tougher to work with than a wood product. The best way to cut it is to do multple scores and then snap. This can sometimes yield less than desireable results. It would also be harder to get a rounded edge to the board. You could use a power sander to do that.

I think a masonite board would also be a good choice.
http://www.pearlpaint.com/shop~ocID~500 ... D~9863.htm
It is very thin, but is relatively solid with a good resistance to warping. It is harder to work with than plywood, though. So be aware of that if you use it.

All of this is theoretical -- I've done a lot of these kind of projects in the past so I have some experience, but I've never actually done this project. TDK hopefully can give more info.
Jestyr
Noob

Postby adidadg » Tue May 09, 2006 10:24 am

TDK I would love to hear what you used and how you put it together, I want to add something like that to my PDGA bag.

you did an awesome job, is it lightweight?
adidadg

Postby sleepy » Tue May 09, 2006 10:38 am

Friggin schweeeeeeeeet.

And don't even think about not sharing the details of how you did it. I want one too!! :D

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue May 09, 2006 11:08 am

It is the colored acrylic plexi, I had some scraps in the garage. The pipes are just 1/2" pvc. And for ribs I was accually thinking of some wire conduit (probably what texas was talking about) I accually have some left over from rewireing my car.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby TexasOutlaw » Tue May 09, 2006 11:37 am

Thatdirtykid wrote:It is the colored acrylic plexi, I had some scraps in the garage. The pipes are just 1/2" pvc. And for ribs I was accually thinking of some wire conduit (probably what texas was talking about) I accually have some left over from rewireing my car.

Probably so. The kind we have here is probably the industrial vareity as it comes in huge spools.

What did you use to attach the pvc to the panel?
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue May 09, 2006 3:52 pm

I drilled out the plexi the diameter of the pipe and that was a pretty strong bond in its own, but then I epoxyed it tight. It seems to be holding up well.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby Blake_T » Tue May 09, 2006 3:56 pm

you should make em and sell em on ebay. could even get the dimensions on other bags and custom make them.

could likely get $20 for a "stock" insert and $30+ for a custom one.

the innova deluxe and pdga bags come to mind as "stock insert" models.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Jestyr » Tue May 09, 2006 4:34 pm

TDK: If you do decide to sell them, you may want to consider a dowel instead of the pvc pipe -- it should reduce weight.

Also, besides the bag standards, many people might want them for storage. You could do an extra large one for storage of extra discs.

Super good job, man. :)
Jestyr
Noob

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue May 09, 2006 5:21 pm

Those are some good ideas right now, but not a priority right now. If anyone would ever be interested in one I might be up to making one if you gave me dimensions. To be honest I dont know where to get the plexi. It was scraps that I had laying around.

I put some conduit on it and discs are standing up fairly well at 3/4ths full (they would slide some for every disc you take out)
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Next

Return to Equipment