woodsy course discs

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

woodsy course discs

Postby presidio hills » Tue May 09, 2006 4:15 pm

as our local club rep. is gaining more ground hacking through all the blue tape needed to get our local course back up and in permanent status. it's looking like i'll be back to playing my old tightly wooded course, golden gate park in the next couple of months.

when the course got pulled i was throwing a beat in pro starfire (after ditching the sidewinder) almost exclusively. since then i've completely ditched the ultra high speed driver class and reverted to learning DX eagles, D XLs and how to throw rocs and putters farther. there's no high end plastic in my bag anymore and i feel like my form is coming along better.

my question is... should i keep throwing DX plastic? just buy like 10 eagles and keep rotating them through? OR should i find something that flies similar to a worn in DX eagle but in premium plastic? I want my XLs to be flippy so at most i'd switch to beating in some X XLs... we'll see how the Ds take it first.

i'm leaning towards the DX carnage... but thought i'd ask for some input first.
thanks,

ps: if anyone wants to help out the SF club and contribute money towards our course you can become a club member... i think $37 of your $40 membership goes straight to the course getting in the ground plus you get a bag tag. if you want to be a part of SF disc golf history visit www.sfdiscgolf.org
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue May 09, 2006 5:26 pm

go with your gut, if you never really try to hit a small gap at full power dx really dosnt beat in that fast. Playing more a control/finesse game (which dx is best for) will get you better scores anyways.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby lacrimosa » Tue May 09, 2006 10:56 pm

Do you ever visit stafford lake dgc in Novato? I'm a regular there, so I may have run into you.

also, is there a set date on when the sf course will re-open? I've been looking forward to playing there. stafford isn't very realistic as far as most courses go, heh.
lacrimosa
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Tue May 09, 2006 11:41 pm

the only thing that can ever truly fly like a broken in disc is another broken in disc. that being said, it's not really feasible to break in a champ disc.

anything that is as straight as a broken in dx eagle in champ/z when new will be very unpredictable.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby presidio hills » Wed May 10, 2006 1:15 am

Blake_T wrote:anything that is as straight as a broken in dx eagle in champ/z when new will be very unpredictable.

thanks for the response blake. that's the info i needed to hear... to be honest i won't mind having a plethora of dx eagles broken in at different stages.
thatdirtykid, unfortunately i sometimes try and hit small windows at near max power... but that's me being stupid... what i've learned is to ease up enough to MAKE SURE I HIT THE WINDOW... but sometimes i forget and get anxious.
lacrimosa, stafford is an amazing course... i wish it was my home course... everytime i play there i learn like 5 very important lessons. my name's kim and i'm a lefty. i've played stafford about 6 times in the last 4 months so it's possible we've met. word on the street is SF will be back up as early as june, but my gut says july or august. 18 holes and concrete tees baby!
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Weebl » Wed May 10, 2006 7:52 am

DX plastic holds up better in the woods than the set courses for me... I'm guessing less rocks or some other fluke. When I play The Old Sawmill, a very very wooded course, I throw only teebirds/XLs, Leopard, Roc, Aviar/Classic Roc. The TeeBird, XL, Roc and Aviar all in DX/pro D plastic. (Pro D holds up decently for me in the woodsy courses)
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby TexasOutlaw » Wed May 10, 2006 8:21 am

You can't beat a beat in dx or d plastic disc; however, they are tough to stick with for wooded courses. The best solution is what you suggested: get a stack of 10 and rotated them, but they beat up fast. I played 18 holes with my d cyclone and made understable(I did it on purpose for a right turn disc), so you would definately have to rotate.

How about keeping one premium for when you think there is a high chance you will hit something. I carry 3 premiums: a z avenger, z predator, and z buzz. I throw my z instead of x avenger when there is a good chance I'm going to slam into a tree.

One other thing, for discraft disc, I prefer x rather than d on almost all discs, except my cyclone. They seem to have better flight characteristics to me. They do beat in but not as quick as the lower end plastic.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed May 10, 2006 10:42 am

TexasOutlaw wrote:You can't beat a beat in dx or d plastic disc; however, they are tough to stick with for wooded courses. The best solution is what you suggested: get a stack of 10 and rotated them, but they beat up fast. I played 18 holes with my d cyclone and made understable(I did it on purpose for a right turn disc), so you would definately have to rotate.

How about keeping one premium for when you think there is a high chance you will hit something. I carry 3 premiums: a z avenger, z predator, and z buzz. I throw my z instead of x avenger when there is a good chance I'm going to slam into a tree.

One other thing, for discraft disc, I prefer x rather than d on almost all discs, except my cyclone. They seem to have better flight characteristics to me. They do beat in but not as quick as the lower end plastic.

I carry Z avengers too, but more for their flight, I almost consider them a completely different disc. I use mine for 350-400 on most lines, and my 3 x's for anything over 400'
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Return to Equipment