PDGA Board

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby TexasOutlaw » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:25 pm

Together is the key....

If you play tournaments though, joining is probably a good idea.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Roc_n_Roll » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:44 pm

Just gotta add that I cruise the PDGA board almost everyday and the flaming and bashing is just way out of control even with the ban of non-members....just take a look at the last couple pages of the new T-Rex thread.....this saddens me deeply

:twisted:
Someday......I will get that ACE!
Roc_n_Roll
Noob

Postby Jwt4412 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:55 pm

It appears people go there to tell others what they already know or think they know...

and...

people [read "me"] come here to learn about what they need to know...

jmo.
Jwt4412
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: DGA D-Line Reef

Postby discmonkey42 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:47 pm

The Trex thread is so bad I almost want to email the board and complain. If access to the board is going to be a benefit of membership, then it should be worth the money I'm paying and not a bunch of little kids calling each other names. :?
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby TexasOutlaw » Tue May 02, 2006 9:27 am

Roc_n_Roll wrote:Just gotta add that I cruise the PDGA board almost everyday and the flaming and bashing is just way out of control even with the ban of non-members....just take a look at the last couple pages of the new T-Rex thread.....this saddens me deeply

:twisted:

I think it's gotten worse.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby krusen » Wed May 10, 2006 8:46 am

I paid online for a membership over a month ago and have not recieved anything besides a copy of the Disc Golf World News. I can't post on the board until I recieve my membership card with my password. What kind of circus are they running that it takes over a month to send out a new member package?
krusen
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Old Mold DX Beast

Postby TexasOutlaw » Wed May 10, 2006 10:12 am

It says alot about many in the game. As it is when ppl find out I play disc golf, it is normally accompanied by , "got any weed?" The people on those forums are very mal-hearted individuals that give disc golfers a bad image.

The worst you will find here is spirited sarcasm, not malicious comments. I've even received private appologies from people on here that felt maybe I would misinterpret their comments as flaming.

I'm glad the good-natured have found their way here.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby krusen » Wed May 10, 2006 1:30 pm

I guess I wasn't really concerned with being able to post there considering the way many posts turn into a pissing match. I'm not sure why that happens. I guess most people view message boards as a place to get in a fight without getting their teeth knocked out. That said, I'm very thankful for this site.

I was just making a statement about the PDGA in general (OK I was ranting). If they can't keep their due paying members happy, how will they move the sport into the mainstream. C'mon, seriously...five weeks to ship out a membership card and a couple items. I've recieved mail order crap from cereal boxes faster when I was a kid.

Then there's the public image of hippy pot smokers that you referred to. If people have barely heard of the sport, that seems to be what comes to mind. It's a tough sell. I'm currently trying to get a course established in my town, and that's probably the main roadblock.
krusen
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Old Mold DX Beast

Postby Frank Delicious » Wed May 10, 2006 1:39 pm

I go to the PDGA board to check the "Ask ____ about ____" threads, they are quite useful. But most other topics always turn into this:

Poster 1: I like the Teerex, it flies well.

Poster 2: I hate the teerex, it doesn't throw nearly as well as my CE 1st run tye dye firebird!

Poster 3: You suck! Teerex sucks! Innova sucks! DISCRAFT!

Poster 1: I don't really like CE firebirds but I can't live without my CE 2001 Roc. Here is a picture.

Then it just degenerates into a D*** measuring contest.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby TexasOutlaw » Wed May 10, 2006 2:36 pm

Too many sponsored players. My conversations were more like:

me: What do y'all recommend for a fairway driver?

the Innova ppl: Innova!

The Discraft PPl: Discraft!

Innova ppl again: Discraft sux!

Scooter: Gateway!

But, it does seem like they are flaming each other now. The higher rated players go out of their way to make the lower ranked ones think they shouldn't voice their opinions.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed May 10, 2006 3:46 pm

TexasOutlaw wrote:It says alot about many in the game. As it is when ppl find out I play disc golf, it is normally accompanied by , "got any weed?" The people on those forums are very mal-hearted individuals that give disc golfers a bad image.

The worst you will find here is spirited sarcasm, not malicious comments. I've even received private appologies from people on here that felt maybe I would misinterpret their comments as flaming.

I'm glad the good-natured have found their way here.

A lady kept us from getting a course or two put in in west denver because she convinced the city that disc golfers would bring more drugs to the park...
Now theyre putting a course in (which Im quite excited for) in a fairly bad part of town. Im more convinced that regular park traffic (which dg definatly premotes) is good for neighborhoods... which doesnt keep some "stereotypes" from keeping the sport from advancing.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby jiwaburst » Thu May 11, 2006 12:50 am

I love to fight stereotypes and refine perceptions, it is one of the high horses I ride.

But... in my experience, as someone who is still fairly new to DG culture, there is a ton of doobage out in the open, and also a butt load of drinking. There is still a legit reason why that perception persists.

I used to go to Dead shows back in the day, so it's not a big deal. But DG is about the only place outside of concerts where people will light up in front of strangers (i.e. golfers they've never met before) in a public place.

<as an aside, even though the substance taking appears to be a real factor in DG (at least in my area), these same people are very good about picking up all litter, and really trying to be friendly , donating to the course, and in general being good citizens-- just that weed does often come with this package>
jiwaburst
Tree Magnet

Postby sleepy » Thu May 11, 2006 6:16 am

jiwaburst wrote:<as an aside, even though the substance taking appears to be a real factor in DG (at least in my area), these same people are very good about picking up all litter, and really trying to be friendly , donating to the course, and in general being good citizens-- just that weed does often come with this package>

Unfortunately, the police and local soccer moms aren't going to overlook the drugs and drinking just because those people also pick up litter.

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Rooster » Thu May 11, 2006 7:06 am

it seems like i am the only non-weed smoker i ever play with. i don't understand why the stuff is so prolific in disc golf. i understadn the drinking, i drink on the disc course and on the ball golf course but the amount of weed i see every round is just astonishing....
Rooster
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Frank Delicious » Thu May 11, 2006 7:38 am

Rooster wrote:it seems like i am the only non-weed smoker i ever play with. i don't understand why the stuff is so prolific in disc golf. i understadn the drinking, i drink on the disc course and on the ball golf course but the amount of weed i see every round is just astonishing....

A casual round of Disc Golf does not require a whole lot of motor skills. I am talking about the guys who come out with two super beat discs and take eight throws on every hole. Those guys can be stoned out of their mind and still play the same. Also most discs golf courses wind away from where most passer byers can't see the players and unlike ball golf courses, are not patrolled by rangers or anything like that. Perfect place to smoke up.

I would like to add I don't smoke pot but those seem like the logical reasons to me.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion