Sports/Activities

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby garublador » Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:05 pm

TexasOutlaw wrote:Those sound like what you do if you're a quarterback to strengthen your arm. Where would I get those bands.

I've seen them at Target. They're called resistance bands and you should be able to find them online, too.

I've actually started lifting weights and I've been trying to incorperate rotator-cuff exercises like the ones given to help with disc golf. I guess we'll see how well they work.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby krusen » Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:58 pm

garublador wrote:
TexasOutlaw wrote:Those sound like what you do if you're a quarterback to strengthen your arm. Where would I get those bands.

I've seen them at Target. They're called resistance bands and you should be able to find them online, too.

I've actually started lifting weights and I've been trying to incorperate rotator-cuff exercises like the ones given to help with disc golf. I guess we'll see how well they work.

Yeah, I bought mine at target.

The biggest thing with these exercises is strict form. You have to try and eliminate your back or other large muscle groups from the motion. After doing it a few times you will feel what I'm talking about.

I used to lift a lot of weights and always targeted the chest too much. Eventually I developed a muscle imbalance and my shoulders hurt like hell when I would do bench press. Ever since then I do these exersizes before every workout. Shoulder pain is gone for the most part, but I still have some rotator cuff damage from HS sports and snowboarding falls.
krusen
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Old Mold DX Beast

Postby TexasOutlaw » Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:23 am

I know what you're saying. I believe my back and shoulders to be my weakest muscles. Also, you guys are correct about isolating the muscles (eliminating big muscle groups).
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby TexasOutlaw » Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:25 am

Oh one other thing. Do y'all remember a device a few years back that was liek these bands with a handle. It was supposed to add distance to your throw. It came in 3 resistances based on your throwing ability.

Anyone purchase one? I had a friend that bought one, and he did improve. But, I'm not sure if it was due to that thing or just his natural progression.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby jase » Wed May 10, 2006 7:31 pm

I golf, play hockey, and other random sports like wiffleball and whatnot.
jase
Noob

Postby Frank Delicious » Thu May 11, 2006 7:42 am

Ball golf, Mountain bike, hiking and if we include random hobbies I would include pool and tennis.

I use to play a lot of darts but moved away from it because it lost its interest for me. I do think it is really funny when competative darts come on T.V. because the announcer tries way to hard. Like WAY to hard.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby TexasOutlaw » Thu May 11, 2006 1:43 pm

Frank_Delicious wrote:Ball golf, Mountain bike, hiking and if we include random hobbies I would include pool and tennis.

I use to play a lot of darts but moved away from it because it lost its interest for me. I do think it is really funny when competative darts come on T.V. because the announcer tries way to hard. Like WAY to hard.

Cool, I too am a tennis player. I have slowed way down on dart competitions because I am trying to cut way back on my drinking. It is difficult for me to throw in a league game in a bar and not drink. I can do it at the house, but not at the bar with all those bottles serenading me.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby jHarr » Tue May 30, 2006 8:52 am

my other activities have been fairly limited to my main addiction-
skiing...
& hiking to get to skiing (next to the patrol-only lift)
(yes... I had a beat dxBeast hyzer-flip up to flat and just f-ing GO from up there once- it might still be flying)

but since the wife's medskool has taken us away from the mtns for a few years- disc golf, biking, playing at the lake and pool, and general mr mom duties fill my time... (and posting on internet forums :roll: )
look forward to livin out west again and helping to develop the local disc golf scene out there in bozeman mt where we're finally getting a public 12 hole course I guess- we've got a summer-only 18 pay-to-play...
www.nrdga.com <---- not very current, but some kewl pics
jHarr
Noob

Postby cmrichar » Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:59 pm

Well I play just about every sport
cmrichar
Tree Magnet

Postby MR. WICK » Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:31 am

I play all sports on a mediocre level. With a little practice I can be decent at any sport. Baseball was always my thing it's the only sport I would say I am great at. I'm 27 now played AA for a while but the road sucked!!!! and so did the $ so I kind of "gave up the dream" and now play a local semi pro league. I recently discovered disc golf and I can play that with my friends so we'll see if I play baseball again next season.
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: the one in my hand

Postby domromer » Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:30 pm

Fishing,darts,yoga,scuba,bicycling,hiking.
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Postby Mark56 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:09 pm

The main sport I do is competitive swimming. I've been swimming for about the last 4-5 years I guess. It's had its good times and bad to say the least.
Mark56
Noob

Previous

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.