filling out my bag with an order (help)

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

filling out my bag with an order (help)

Postby soaresjo » Thu May 11, 2006 12:11 pm

I am planning on making an order tomorrow to fill out my "first bag". I am going with the minimalist approach and what to know A) if I have all my bases covered and B) if any discs are too similar not to just have one. I know posts like this are annoying but I am a beginner and could really use the input... thanks blake.
I am planning on buying the following:
Discraft Avenger X 170-172
Discraft Buzzz Z 175
Discraft Cyclone X 172 (not sure on this plastic choice)
Wizard SuperSoft 170-172
** Millinium Sirus Orion (LF) I have heard a lot of good things about this disc but am not sure if it would fit a purpose I dont already have covered. What is your preference from the Orion and Orion LF?**
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Discs I already have in my bag:
Champ Valk 170
Champ Teebird 174
Champ Orc 167
Pro Starfire 175 (sometimes comes with me, liking it more and more)
Pro Shark 177
KC Pro Roc 175
KC Pro Aviar 172 <--- will be replaced with wizard

so combine those two sections and you will get an idea of what my completed bag will look like. Think I have any holes? Any discs I should still look at? Any discs not needed? Any suggestions? Thanks for everything guys, I promise my annoying posts will end.... NOW!

-john
The Shark Loves Free Slurpees!
soaresjo
Noob

Postby Frank Delicious » Thu May 11, 2006 12:26 pm

How far can you throw? How long have you been playing? If you are a beginner I would suggest not buying the X Avenger or the Z buzz. I would get a buzz though but in X or D plastic, it would be better for you.

Also if I ordered that I and I had to make your bag I would go

Cyclone
Champ Teebird
Roc
buzz (I know it overlaps the roc but try it and see which one you like)
Shark
Wizard
Avair

I know you said the aviar was coming out but I would keep both of them, one for putting and one for driving. That way you don't have a putting putter with giant gouges in it, plus it will last longer letting you get used to it. Plus I would invest in a few DX, D drivers until you get the feel of driving. Just the normal recommendation Valk, Teebird, Cyclone, Eagle etc. The slower stuff that is easier to learn with.

[edit: can't delete useless sentences while proofing}
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

yes

Postby soaresjo » Thu May 11, 2006 12:31 pm

agreed.
I was asked how far I was able to throw the other day by blake and said 350-400. However the next day I went out and was let down when I found out the actuall number was more like 300-325.
This is my second spring playing. I go out everyday (most of the time play 2 rounds a day, back to back, OUCH!). Probably played 75-100 rounds in my short career.

Anyway I was wondering about the putter. I am kind of afraid that the supersoft will be TOO soft. I kind of like a stiffer putter. I think I am going to get a Wizard S Medium instead.

I really like my orc and valk. They are probably the two discs I throw the most on drives. The teebird is awesome for straight shots and fits that bill perfectly. I have access to an eagle and dont like it very much =\

hmmmmmmmm what about an XS?

too many discs to choose from ahhh!
-john
soaresjo
Noob

Postby bigs348 » Thu May 11, 2006 12:38 pm

i bet the supersoft will be plenty stiff enough for you. gateway's idea of supersoft is anyone else's idea of a regular slightly firm putter. it's really got a great feel to it. firm and medium wizards are great for driving, but just way too dang stiff to putt with, imo.
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

thanks

Postby soaresjo » Thu May 11, 2006 12:42 pm

thanks! supersoft it is! I have not been able to find a putter I really feel comfortable with. I like the Aviar a lot but there is still a little somethign missing. I am hoping that the wizard is what I am looking for.
soaresjo
Noob

Postby Frank Delicious » Thu May 11, 2006 12:43 pm

The SS Wizard is soft only in name, it is still way stiffer than most putters I have used, especially the new ones.

As to the drivers, watch out when throwing those faster drivers like the orc, they tend to mask form problems. I am impressed that your champ teebird goes straight, my 174 champ teebird just loves hyzering, I feel like I have to throw it too hard to keep it straight. It is a great headwind driver though. I would have to again suggest picking up a few DX teebirds and using those as your drivers, they will go farther than your Champ plastic and are just all around good throwing discs.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

interesting

Postby soaresjo » Thu May 11, 2006 12:52 pm

huh. My teebird thrown flat will go straight to where I want it and then fade off to the left right to the pin. There is a straight shot backhand throw at the course I usually play at about 300 feet. I have been shooting birds on that most of the time now with the teebird. Lovin it
soaresjo
Noob

Postby garublador » Thu May 11, 2006 1:00 pm

What gaps are you trying to fill with the discs you're ordering? It seems like ordering a bunch of different discs kind of goes against the minamalist approach.

I'm no expert, but here's my take on it.

I'd go for a medium Wizard if you like stiffer putters. The supersoft isn't super floppy, but it is still soft. A medium will work well for putts, drives and approach shots. The soft is good, too.

You seem to have the midrange covered well. I don't know why you'd need a Buzzz. If you want a back up, get another Roc.

I'd swap a DX Teebird for the Cyclone if you want to stay minamalist.

The Orion and Avenger would just overlap with what you already have in your bag. If you want more discs in that range, look into different weights and plastics of the Valk and Orc. You might want to look into a dedicated overstable driver, like a Spirit, Predator or Firebird, though.

It sort of goes against a full on minamalist bag, but I like an overstable mid-fairway range driver, too. I use the Blaze but I'd imagine something like a Viper or Whippet would work, too. I think it's nice to have something that will fly overstable at a midrange type distance in a headwind. I use my Blazes quite a bit. You could always try using something a bit faster like a Banshee for to take this place and the place of your dedicated overstable driver. After throwing the DX version a vew times I could see how having a few of those in different stages of wear would be cool.

I don't think your posts are annoying at all. Keep 'em coming if you have questions.
garublador
Disc Whore

Re: thanks

Postby garublador » Thu May 11, 2006 1:03 pm

soaresjo wrote:thanks! supersoft it is! I have not been able to find a putter I really feel comfortable with. I like the Aviar a lot but there is still a little somethign missing. I am hoping that the wizard is what I am looking for.

IMO, the SS Wizard is a bit too soft for driving with, but then again, I think the same thing about my E Wizard. I'm also skeptical on how well they'd handle faster tree hits. If I were you I'd definitely get a medium, but you could also get a SS just for putting. That's what I do.
garublador
Disc Whore

cool

Postby soaresjo » Thu May 11, 2006 1:20 pm

I have been thinking about getting a firebird...

I am most likely not going to get an orion. I have just heard cool stuff about it and thought it might be fun to try out.

valk
teebird
orc
avenger
cyclone
buzz
shark
roc
aviar (drives)
wizard
*+firebird for a more stable disc?*

final cut?
soaresjo
Noob

Re: filling out my bag with an order (help)

Postby TexasOutlaw » Thu May 11, 2006 1:37 pm

All the discs that you are purchasing are in my bag now. My bag (minus the discs I'm trying out) is avengers, buzzes, wizards, and cyclones. (I have trackers too that will probably be out soon).

I would stick with that order; you will have to decide which you like between the buzz and roc as they overlap. I like the z buzz.

I know you are a beginner, but you seem to have something missing in the overstable department. In my bag, this spot is taken by a z predator. I use it for long hyzers and headwind. The innova alternative is a firebird I believe, but the predator goes further for me.

I am currently trying out the orion LF to see if it will become my super fast wide-rimmed driver. I am excited about it, but my wraith is better right now.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby adidadg » Thu May 11, 2006 1:39 pm

the Buzzz , Roc and Shark are all used for the same purpose , just pick one of these molds and stick with it. One is enough to start with, then when it gets beat up, get another one but still keep the old one for right turning shots. Or you may want to experiment with some different weights within the same mold, but IMO diversity isnt too important with midranges as they are very versatile.
adidadg

Postby Woodchuck » Thu May 11, 2006 1:42 pm

11 molds is no where near a minimalist approach.

valk
teebird
orc
avenger similar to the Orc
cyclone similar to the Teebird
buzz - you have 3 very similar midranges, pick one mold in a couple different plastics to cover under, stable and overstable.
shark
roc
aviar (drives)
wizard
*+firebird for a more stable disc?* - My suggestion would be get rid of the Orc and pick up an X and Z Avenger, the Z Avener would work well as an overstable disc, the X Avenger will beat into a good striaght to slightly overstable disc
Woodchuck
Noob

yes

Postby soaresjo » Thu May 11, 2006 2:00 pm

yea I realise with that many discs my bag would seem cluttered.
I guess what I should say is that I am hoping to try all of those and after a few months of play be able to narrow it down even further. For instance...
orc/avenger (pick the one I like)
valk
teebird
firebird/something else (pick the one I like)
cyclone
buzz/roc (pick the one I like)
shark
wizard

if I can do that I will have it down to 8!

p.s. I keep the shark in there not only because I really like the mold but it has sentimental value as well. It has made the most long birdie puts of any disc I have and it always seems to show up when it's game time! Like I always say "The Shark Loves Free Slurpees!"
soaresjo
Noob

what I throw now

Postby soaresjo » Thu May 11, 2006 5:34 pm

I guess what I should have done is this:

Right now when I go out and play disc golf I carry around with me six discs. They are the following:

Champ Valk 170
Champ Orc 167
Champ Teebird 174
Pro Shark 177
KC Pro Roc 175
KC Pro Aviar 172

Those are the discs I like the most and they all get about equal use. I am happy with those discs but would like to try out some new ones and like what discraft has to offer. With that being said I also need to fill in a couple gaps. From the discs I already normally play with what additions would you recommend?
thanks

-john
soaresjo
Noob

Next

Return to Equipment