Re: what I throw now

Postby Pagan » Thu May 11, 2006 9:43 pm

soaresjo wrote:Champ Valk 170
Champ Orc 167
Champ Teebird 174
Pro Shark 177
KC Pro Roc 175
KC Pro Aviar 172

Those are the discs I like the most and they all get about equal use. I am happy with those discs but would like to try out some new ones and like what discraft has to offer. With that being said I also need to fill in a couple gaps. From the discs I already normally play with what additions would you recommend?
thanks
-john

As far as discraft and my little 2 cents:
Aviar = Challenger Elite-X Soft
Pro Roc = Elite X Wasp (if ya preffer overstable. for Stable go Buzzz)
Valk = Xs
Teebird = Cyclone
Orc = Crush
Most of my bag is Discraft so I'm biased...

Pagan
Wizard, Roc, Teebird, Wraith
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Addicted since October of '05
Pagan
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby Blake_T » Thu May 11, 2006 10:48 pm

from the look of things:

you are missing a very overstable driver. z pred, z flick, champ firebird, champ monster, etc. come to mind.

the valk and teebird compliment each other well.

if you beat the crap out of a roc it eliminates the need for the pro shark, which will be discontinued soon.

i wouldn't spend too much time thinking about what manufacturers to throw. everything is similar nowadays with subtle differences.

unless your valk is way beat, i'm guessing you don't have anything super understable. you may want to try something else in dx you can beat the crap out of and take that place (e.g. dx valk, dx orc, dx teebird).
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby sleepy » Fri May 12, 2006 7:35 am

Blake_T wrote:the pro shark, which will be discontinued soon.

:shock:

I didn't know that! Well, I guess picking my midrange just got a little easier...

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Blake_T » Fri May 12, 2006 7:51 am

they've only made 1 additional run (all white) of sharks since the initial release of the pro shark.

basically, a lot of the pro discs are being discontinued. right now they are in the "selling out the rest of what we have" phase and it won't be officially discontinued until they are very low/out of stock.

there was only 1 run of pro teebirds (> 10,000) and it took 14 months to sell out, but they never ran a second batch.
the pro aviar is finally going away (was done in the same manner).

other discs on the chopping block: pro cobra, pro classic roc, pro birdie, pro valkyrie.
Blake_T

Re: what I throw now

Postby Thatdirtykid » Fri May 12, 2006 8:01 am

Pagan wrote:
soaresjo wrote:Champ Valk 170
Champ Orc 167
Champ Teebird 174
Pro Shark 177
KC Pro Roc 175
KC Pro Aviar 172

Those are the discs I like the most and they all get about equal use. I am happy with those discs but would like to try out some new ones and like what discraft has to offer. With that being said I also need to fill in a couple gaps. From the discs I already normally play with what additions would you recommend?
thanks
-john

As far as discraft and my little 2 cents:
Aviar = Challenger Elite-X Soft
Pro Roc = Elite X Wasp (if ya preffer overstable. for Stable go Buzzz)
Valk = Xs
Teebird = Cyclone
Orc = Crush
Most of my bag is Discraft so I'm biased...

Pagan

Avair = Magnet
Avair X = Challenger
?? If avairs were as stable as challengers I probably would still be using them (I had a stack then decided to change to a different putter)
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby sleepy » Fri May 12, 2006 11:15 am

Blake_T wrote:they've only made 1 additional run (all white) of sharks since the initial release of the pro shark.

basically, a lot of the pro discs are being discontinued. right now they are in the "selling out the rest of what we have" phase and it won't be officially discontinued until they are very low/out of stock.

there was only 1 run of pro teebirds (> 10,000) and it took 14 months to sell out, but they never ran a second batch.
the pro aviar is finally going away (was done in the same manner).

other discs on the chopping block: pro cobra, pro classic roc, pro birdie, pro valkyrie.

Man, you learn something new every day! Glad I hadn't fallen in love with any of the pro discs yet.

Do you foresee this happening to the KC Pro Roc, or is that one safe since it's a signature model? I haven't tried it yet, but wanted to give it a whirl while trying to pick my main midrange.

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

pro shark

Postby soaresjo » Fri May 12, 2006 11:45 am

crap I double posted! look down plz
Last edited by soaresjo on Fri May 12, 2006 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Shark Loves Free Slurpees!
soaresjo
Noob

pro shark

Postby soaresjo » Fri May 12, 2006 11:45 am

I have two sharks actually and I think I like my dx more than my Pro. I bought my Pro because it had a nice wieght and my dx was getting real beat. aka i am not attached to the fact that it is a "pro".

When they do discontinue the shark should I be looking at more dx sharks or a news more durable plastic to replace my pro?

As for my lack of overstable discs I think i am going to pick up a firebird. You guys think this is a good choice or would a say predetor/flick/monster.... be better?

-john

p.s. thanks for all the help. You guys have been awesome, you have answered all of my questions and many more. I hope soon I will be able to give input to posts like this instead of making them.
Last edited by soaresjo on Fri May 12, 2006 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
soaresjo
Noob

Postby TexasOutlaw » Fri May 12, 2006 11:50 am

What role does the shard fill in your bag? There are better mids. I gave mine away.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

shark

Postby soaresjo » Fri May 12, 2006 11:56 am

the shark is my go to disc from about the 70-120ft range. Also for good glide ins around trees. If I need to throw it far and straight I can trust it as well.

The shark was the very first disc I ever bought over a year ago and I have just really grown to love it. The best shots I have ever made have been with this disc.
...its magic!

I have a roc and getting a buzzz so I plan on eliminating one of the three... chances are it isnt going to be the shark! (it loves free slurpees)

-john

p.s. to clear the free slurpee thing up. My friends and have a thing going where the winner gets a free slurpee after the round. The shark has won me some slurpees in its day. I cant help yelling out "the shark loves free slurpees" after I make a nice shot with it... yea, I know im a freak :wink:
soaresjo
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Fri May 12, 2006 12:11 pm

the kc roc will likely stick around for a good while.

it is a different resin base than the other pro discs (the aviar and whippet are similar).

unless it's 70'-120' with a very low ceiling, that should be a putter shot.

if you like the dx shark better than the pro, there is no reason to even carry the pro. there's about 29 other threads where i have ideas for slowing down the break in of dx plastic.

as for overstable drivers, the firebird is getting really dated. while it's a fine disc, there are other discs i consider "better." there are about 10 other threads where i have talked about this :P
Blake_T

Postby Rooster » Fri May 12, 2006 12:30 pm

man i don't like this phasing out of these pro discs. admittedly i don't thro the ones that are going out but it makes me scared that i won't be able to get my favorite plastic anymore :( in a few years. i love pro plastic. innova better not get rid of my discs in pro.
Rooster
Fairway Surgeon

Postby TexasOutlaw » Fri May 12, 2006 1:14 pm

If you like the shark that much stick with it, but there are better disc. Give the buzz a try and then decide.

As for the phasing out of pro plastics, I was very surprised when pro and x first was being developed; I was thinking it would hurt the sale of their premium, more expensive stuff (champ, z).

In almost all cases, I prefer the x to the z version. The buzz and the predator are the 2 discs I like in elite z better even though I now also carry a d buzz as well.

Btw, the z buzz will season without becoming understable.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Blake_T » Fri May 12, 2006 2:22 pm

the x replaced discraft's signature line really, which was the elite pro line.

as for pro, it's not a shock they are phasing it out. they did the same thing to special edition discs and to the old kc pro stuff.

i woudln't doubt it if champ plastic gets phased out for star.

this has been a pretty constant trend over time. there were two major changes to dx plastic during the 90's that inflated the prices on the "old good" plastic. oddly enough people were paying $25 for dx discs that 5 years before they were paying $25 a disc to get away from.
Blake_T

other than a firebird

Postby soaresjo » Fri May 12, 2006 8:46 pm

any suggestions on a better version on a firebird or a link to a thread talking about comparisons? thanks
soaresjo
Noob

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment