Week 1 - 5/1 through 5/8: Line Shaping

Sets of drills targeted at developing a full skill sets of shots and mastery of flight characteristics. Players taking part are encouraged to post their experiences and feedback.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby didihitatree » Sun May 07, 2006 7:51 pm

Yeah I broke it out today, my friend was like "What was that?!?" :lol:

I found I can go anywhere from a high knife-like shot to lower sweep-ish shot that glides out with good control. I just can't do a shot that goes straight then turns right. A semi-shallow C is about the best I can do. I think the trick is to use a hyzer-flip but I haven't really mastered those yet. I can get them to plane-out flat, but not turn over.
didihitatree
Noob

Postby krusen » Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:13 pm

I learned something last night while tossing around some cheetahs that I recently bought.
Throwing an understable disc with the right amount of hyzer will result in a flight path which curves left at first, then continues straight. Kind of a hyzer flip, but not quite to the flatten stage. In comparison, an overstable disc thrown flat will curve at the end instead of the beginning. This may not be anything new to some of you, but I thought I would contribute anyway

I will definitely be throwing more hyzers with understable discs in the future.
krusen
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Old Mold DX Beast

Postby Blake_T » Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:41 pm

the throw you are talking about is a flavor of an air bounce that flattens either due to torque or extreme speed. easiest way to pull it off is to throw hyzer but finish like a flat shot.

a broken in d cyclone was famous for this flight path.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby krusen » Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:46 pm

I did follow through high on the plane of my throw. The light headwind probably had a hand in the peculiar flight since I don't think I have extreme speed. I will have to try it as you described when the wind is lower. I can't think of any tee shots that this would be useful for, but can definitely see how it would come in handy for a bad lie.
krusen
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Old Mold DX Beast

Postby bernie » Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:01 am

Went out and worked on assignment #1 last night. Discs I used: Champ.Firebird, Champ Sidewinder, X Stratus, Z Buzz, APX Swirl, & Pro Rhyno. The straight shot was pretty much normal except that I found that I had to put severe (more than I expected) anhyser on the Firebird in order to get it to finish on my projected straight line. The stratus flipped flat and flew very straight.
The sweeping hyser was more comfortable as this shot I use often. I was surprised with the distance and air time of the stratus.
The S shot was interesting as I only had done this before with my drivers. I found that I needed much more height in order to have the understable discs time to flex back. Again, I had to put severe anhyser on the Firebird-that was cool.
The turnover shot was more difficult. It was obviously the easiest with my stratus and apx swirl. I was able to get the sidewinder, rhyno, and buzz to hold the line. However, I could not get the Firebird to stay going right. Any tips with that would be helpful. I was playing with nose angle but didn't get it right for the firebird.
Overall, I discovered the following: Hyser flips can be used for super straight shots, an overstable disc can take a huge amount of anhyser, and an understable disc can handle an extreme hyser release. I was also surprised at the air time of the stratus on the S shot. On to assignemnt #2. Bernie, Michigan
'The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese." Steven Wright
bernie
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:52 pm

However, I could not get the Firebird to stay going right. Any tips with that would be helpful. I was playing with nose angle but didn't get it right for the firebird.

it's the opposite of s-curving understable discs.
crank a firebird really low and hard anhyzer and it will hit the ground before it has time to fade :)
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:43 pm

my best luck having my overstable (pred) holding a anny is controlled wrist roll, I am surprised that I accually will use a controlled wrist roll, most often to get a wizard to turn right and straighten out.
I also found (im not sure wether this is coincidence or practice or what) that after learning how to intentionally roll my wrist I do it accidently much less often.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby zealot » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:50 am

not to elaborate too much, but this is my daily routine (theres a field right outside my apt) and it has helped me so much. got my backhand s curve going now!

i love disc golf!
zealot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Pro Rhyno

Postby rehder » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:20 am

These excercises are awesome and they will be included in training program for the 08 season in our club.

I think you could devote single sessions to the hyzer and anhyzer. I was fiddling around with anhyzer that were pretty much thrown like a very steep knifehyzer (basically straight up into the air). It was very interesting to see the flightpaths, that different discs would create. Essentially my spikes and rocs would hold the very steep line although my most overstable rocs would tend to rise a little bit from the steep angle. The drivers would rise more and more until I got to a point where they would come out of the turn and fade.

This last shot can be useful if you need to throw right around or over something but still need it to flatten out or finish left.
Z-Pred, Z-Force, Destroyer, (M,S,Q)OLF, Roc, Wizard&VP
rehder
1000 Rated Poster

Re: Week 1 - 5/1 through 5/8: Line Shaping

Postby ChaseJuggler » Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:03 pm

I gave this practice a try, and it made a really big change in the way I play (at least for now)

I did this drill with every throw being a backhand. I have been playing for about 3 or 4 years, but only seriously in the summers usually. I'm comfortable reaching 300 foot stuff, and get really excited when I throw anything further than 340 or 350 on flat ground.

Anyway, I've always sort of avoided uncomfortable throws in my game by simply making up a more comfortable way to throw it. If there was ever a way to make a tomahawk, sidearm, or roller replace a shot with an uncomfortable amount of hyzer/anhyzer, then I would take it. But this drill forced me to get comfortable with them without the risk of an embarrassing scorecard :)

That said, as I was doing this it was largely trial and error to figure out how much hyzer I needed to make an understable driver still fade, a putter go straight for 250 feet, etc. It had always been just guesswork for the past few years, but this drill allowed me to make sort of a system for it.

The system is this, and feel free to evaluate it for better or for worse. On every throw, the basic mechanics of the shot is the same. The only thing that I change is which part of my body I throw the disc from. To be specific, I have nose, shoulder, chest, bottom of the ribs, belly button, belt, belt with disc pointed to the ground, and belt with disc pointed to the feet. So with this system, if a disc went right when I wanted it to go straight, I just moved it down another notch in the system.

So for me, this drill really built confidence for me because I am no longer throwing shots by feel, but I am just duplicating a shot that I already know works. Teebird needs to go right? Just throw it from the ribs. No more guesswork involved in my rounds, it's just a simple plug and chug formula.

I think this has also helped my form because my throw is simpler now because I simply line up the disc at the correct position BEFORE the throw, so it takes a lot of thought out of the process for me and allows me to just focus in a good clean throw without worrying about where it goes.

The only thing that worries me is if this system is going to mess up my throwing mechanics in the long run. Any comments?
ChaseJuggler
Noob

Favorite Disc: Champion Teebird

Postby masterbeato » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:54 pm

this is exactly the drill I use when I warm up before every tournament

a perfect way to get yourself ready and focused more on the how to manipulate the discs and not worry about the woods or anything.

no one does this that i have seen in a warm up and i highly recommend this drill before every tournament or league.

you will be surprised at the results!
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby the unwrinkled ear » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:57 pm

this is the first training assignment i read (was looking for stretching exercises yesterday) and i decided to give it a go today. wow - unbelievably educational. what i used:
straight disc: 170 champ valk, seasoned
understable: 166 champ sidewinder, seasoned
overstable: 169 champ 11x firebird, newish
midrange: 174 supercolor z buzzz, used
putter: 172 esp banger gt, used

straight shots: not a problem with any disc

hyzers: not a problem with anything

s-curves: surprisingly hard to get my valk to come back after the turn. i've been throwing it with hyzerflip for a long time as a straight drive, and couldn't seem to get it to have any low speed fade back (a great characteristic when i want it straight but not for this shot)
also surprisingly: the firebird was unbelievably controllable for this shot, and went a lot farther than i thought it would (this is probably b/c i had to use more force to get it to do the shot and with the other discs i wasn't putting quite that much energy into it, but still - a very nice thing to learn and know). also - i could NOT get the buzzz or banger to curve back. it was kind of like their taglines: whatever line i put them on they would not come off of.
the s-curve with the sidewinder was subtle, but still there a little bit. i chalk that up to my consistent use of this disc as a straight long range driver with hyzerflip, and me not figuring out quite how to get it to make more of an S

turnovers: no problem with anything. but the firebird surprised me again as being a lot more controllable than i thought it would be

consider me enrolled in these assignments: very educational. thanks blake
most recent Ace: 7/16/09: Chavez Ridge/ Dodger Stadium, CA, hole #6, Soft APX
the unwrinkled ear
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby elnino » Thu May 07, 2009 12:06 am

Step 1: Straight Flight.
Step 2: Sweeping Hyzer.
Step 3: S-Curve.
Step 4: Turnover.
Step 5: Straight Flight forehand.
Step 6: Sweeping Hyzer forehand.
Step 7: S-Curve forehand.
Step 8: Turnover forehand.
try them forehand too! my forehand was awful before and i only throw forehand once or twice a round but now it is a weapon not a no other option situation.

I think i first did this at 200 feet max throw now my max is over 350 standing still!!! thanks!
discs i use
1 teebird
1 roadrunner
4 beasts
3 wraiths
2 firebirds
2 teerexs
3 bosses
Positive feedback 56 Trade
Destroyer=Firebird=Striker=Roc=Wizard
elnino
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Firebird/wizard

Postby elnino » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:54 pm

elnino wrote:Step 1: Straight Flight.
Step 2: Sweeping Hyzer.
Step 3: S-Curve.
Step 4: Turnover.
Step 5: Straight Flight forehand.
Step 6: Sweeping Hyzer forehand.
Step 7: S-Curve forehand.
Step 8: Turnover forehand.
try them forehand too! my forehand was awful before and i only throw forehand once or twice a round but now it is a weapon not a no other option situation.

I think i first did this at 200 feet max throw now my max is over 350 standing still!!! thanks!
discs i use
1 teebird
1 roadrunner
4 beasts
3 wraiths
2 firebirds
2 teerexs
3 bosses

wow how things change....i can now crush wizards 200 and and rocs 250 straight as arrows

Question is how to get a wizard to S that thing just falls out of the sky like i shot it with buckshot!

discs i use THANKS FOR TRADING!!
10teebirds
9 Rocs
12 firebirds
11 bosses
14 Wizards

my snap was huge today and got to see the bosses not handle the wind....but my one blue 167 is like a wind fighting freak of nature...why is that disc so stable....
Positive feedback 56 Trade
Destroyer=Firebird=Striker=Roc=Wizard
elnino
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Firebird/wizard

Postby marmoset » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:45 am

elnino wrote:why is that disc so stable....

Wwe have theories on that.
Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic. ~Author Unknown
marmoset
King of Calipers

PreviousNext

Return to Disc Golf Review Training Assignments