The Reason I Push Disc Minimalism

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby bigs348 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:50 pm

I looked for the quote from Blake, but I'm not sure where it's at.

That would be 8 molds. The L mod makes the disc a new mold.
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby disc_golfing_fool » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:55 pm

Blake says 8
~~~some rise, some fall, some climb to get to Terrapin~~~
~~peace.love.disc~~

OM
disc_golfing_fool
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: ROC

minimal discs

Postby Toney » Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:27 pm

I'm just delighted that my growing sidearm game doesn't force me to play different discs. Still the same discs, T-birds and rocs. Well, and maybe a firebird for super skips.

toney
Toney
Noob

Postby CJ1998 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:29 am

I'd have to say, that in my limited experience, that I agree with Blake here. I have 10 distinct discs right now, but I just put in an order for 2 champ teebids. My goal is to have a few of the same kind of mold so that I can really focus on learning every shot with one disc.
CJ1998
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby dvlcek » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:19 pm

I completely agree with keeping the molds down. Keep It Simple Stupid was something I learned from a teacher years ago and it has stuck with me for a long time. I have four drivers, a mid and putter that will always be in the bag. I have just recently decided to start trying some of the newer, faster drivers for max D.
dvlcek
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Piranha

Postby Jsw » Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:05 pm

Hey guys, just started up and i couldn't agree more. I love just carrying around my driver and putter. Keeps me more focused rather than if i had 10+ discs to choose from. I'm loving my Leopard for and all-purpose driver, but i'm having trouble picking a putter and weight thats great at approach AND putting.

Guess i'll just have to borrow and test.
Jsw
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: DGR's Night-Owl

Postby Fritz » Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:30 pm

Jsw wrote:Hey guys, just started up and i couldn't agree more. I love just carrying around my driver and putter. Keeps me more focused rather than if i had 10+ discs to choose from. I'm loving my Leopard for and all-purpose driver, but i'm having trouble picking a putter and weight thats great at approach AND putting.

Guess i'll just have to borrow and test.

Search for a putter that feels good in your hands. IF it's not comfortable in YOUR hands then you won't be any good with it. Just keep that in mind when picking a putter.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby Jsw » Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:20 pm

Sage advice, I' just ordered a Medium S Wizard(169g) - seems to be a widely used putter at an average weight and firmness. I'll probably use it exclusively for a few rounds to learn it in and out. Then add in a mid range. Perhaps a Roc or a Shark, I tossed a 150g shark and it seemed to be easiest to throw. But i'm not sure which weight is good for mids.

Anyway i'm done hijacking this thread. I'm just trying to create a nice 3 disc bag for my beginner level.
Jsw
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: DGR's Night-Owl

Postby the invisible tree » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:28 pm

Fritz wrote:
Search for a putter that feels good in your hands. IF it's not comfortable in YOUR hands then you won't be any good with it. Just keep that in mind when picking a putter.

I disagree. Just throw the wizard until it starts feeling better if you don't like it in the beginning.
the invisible tree
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: eagle

Postby rehder » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:08 am

So is throwing DX ranchos and (2007) ontarios one mold or two, and what happens when the San Marinos come along later this year?
Last edited by rehder on Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Z-Pred, Z-Force, Destroyer, (M,S,Q)OLF, Roc, Wizard&VP
rehder
1000 Rated Poster

Postby dgdave » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:16 am

rehder wrote:So is throwing DX ranchos and (2007) ontarios one mold or two, and what happens when the San Marinos come along this year?

3 molds, 3 different discs.
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby Parks » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:17 am

dgdave wrote:
rehder wrote:So is throwing DX ranchos and (2007) ontarios one mold or two, and what happens when the San Marinos come along this year?

Exactly.

However, in my book its kind of a cheat. If you are used to beat Ranchos, you have a very good idea of how a newer Ontario will feel and fly.

Its three distinct molds for sure. However, if you throw Rocs and you don't currently have a beat Roc to put in the bag, then an Ontario Roc will be a more minimalistic choice than a Buzzz or a Stingray.

Some may disagree, but that has been my experience.
We're at our best when it's from our hips
Parks
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Fritz » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:00 pm

Parks wrote:
dgdave wrote:

Exactly.

However, in my book its kind of a cheat. If you are used to beat Ranchos, you have a very good idea of how a newer Ontario will feel and fly.

Its three distinct molds for sure. However, if you throw Rocs and you don't currently have a beat Roc to put in the bag, then an Ontario Roc will be a more minimalistic choice than a Buzzz or a Stingray.

Some may disagree, but that has been my experience.

Absolutely.

What would you say about the same disc, in different plastic? i.e Champ, Sirius , X, etc...
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby garublador » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:21 pm

Fritz wrote:What would you say about the same disc, in different plastic? i.e Champ, Sirius , X, etc...
Here's how I'd rate all of it from most to least minamilistic:

1. Weight change
2. Run change
3. Plastic change
4. "Related" mold change
5. Mold change

So, if you're going to carry multiples of a mold, having everything be the same plastic, weight and run would be the most minamilistic. To be slightly less minamilisic you could vary the weight. I believe Blake's original post assumed that 1-3 could be changed without defeating the minamilst philosophy. I've found that changing 1-3 will normally give you a slight variaion on how the disc flies, not a whole new flightpath like you normally see between mold changes.

I'm curious to hear what others think of this, this is just my first stab at it.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby tushamajig13 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:21 pm

I completely agree. even though there are slight variations in a mold between plastics, it is essentially the same disc. The difference between a star orc and a star wraith are definitely noticable, while the difference between a star orc and a champion orc is much less. I believe that disc minimalism is a technique used to take the emphasis off the disc and put more emphasis on the shot. If every disc feels the same, it must be executed and the correct version of that disc be chosen. Also, it takes out the adjustment necessary when switching from a flat, straight drive to a sweeping hyzer.

Just my thoughts.
tushamajig13
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard

PreviousNext

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion