Dye Job

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Dye Job

Postby schla104 » Wed May 17, 2006 11:53 am

Well, this is first dye job that i've done thats required some masking. it turned out pretty well. i knew i should have masked off the entire rest of the disc because i knew i would get some that would run off, but i didn't so you can see that. other than that it went very well.

~Pred~Wraith~SOLF~XL~Roc~Warlock~Wizard
First Ace
4/4/06
schla104
Tree Magnet

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed May 17, 2006 1:32 pm

not bad at all, what were you using to mask, It took me a while to get contact paper to not run, then just a couple learning how to use vasoline right.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby schla104 » Wed May 17, 2006 3:33 pm

well, i started with contact paper and just used elmers glue on everything that i did'nt want dyed the pulled up the contact paper and let the glue dry. i should have smeared the glue all the way out to the edges so i didn't get that mark on top.... oh well though. i'll admit it is a little weird having a disc with your face on it, but it would be hard for someone else to steal.
First Ace
4/4/06
schla104
Tree Magnet

vaseline

Postby twmccoy » Wed May 17, 2006 5:55 pm

Thatdirtykid wrote:not bad at all, what were you using to mask, It took me a while to get contact paper to not run, then just a couple learning how to use vasoline right.

That vaseline works pretty nice huh? I've dyed a few discs that way and they all look good, much better than I could do with contact paper.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby spitfire » Wed May 17, 2006 6:52 pm

how did you make the picture of you face like that. i assume you used a regular picture then did something to convert it to a stencil.
spitfire
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: pro wraith

Postby schla104 » Fri May 19, 2006 11:10 pm

I took the photo and got it into photoshop. I adjusted the threshold of the photo. I then printed it out and went around the rougher edges with a black marker to make it look nice and smooth. i placed this under the contact paper and used it as a guide ( i can see right through my contact paper) to cut. I placed the contact paper (for the black part) on the disc. I then smeared elmers glue around it and on everything i wanted to stay yellow. i let the glue sit for a few minutes, not so it dryed but so it would stay in one place when i pulled the contact paper up. I let the glue finish drying. i then just painted on my dye. waited, rinsed, and repainted the dye again. let it dry, rinsed, and thats it. if i had a little more glue i would have went all the way to the edges of the disc to prevent what happened to the top.
First Ace
4/4/06
schla104
Tree Magnet

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sat May 20, 2006 2:20 am

schla104 wrote:I took the photo and got it into photoshop. I adjusted the threshold of the photo. I then printed it out and went around the rougher edges with a black marker to make it look nice and smooth. i placed this under the contact paper and used it as a guide ( i can see right through my contact paper) to cut. I placed the contact paper (for the black part) on the disc. I then smeared elmers glue around it and on everything i wanted to stay yellow. i let the glue sit for a few minutes, not so it dryed but so it would stay in one place when i pulled the contact paper up. I let the glue finish drying. i then just painted on my dye. waited, rinsed, and repainted the dye again. let it dry, rinsed, and thats it. if i had a little more glue i would have went all the way to the edges of the disc to prevent what happened to the top.

or if youre cheap like me and dont have ink for your printer, tape the contact paper right to the screen and trace ;-)

you would think me being an art student i would know how to freehand... mabey thats why I like ceramics so much!
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Return to Equipment