Week 3 - 5/15 through 5/22 - 3-Disc Rounds

Sets of drills targeted at developing a full skill sets of shots and mastery of flight characteristics. Players taking part are encouraged to post their experiences and feedback.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Week 3 - 5/15 through 5/22 - 3-Disc Rounds

Postby Blake_T » Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:39 pm

Where to perform the drill: On the course
What you will need: 1 Stable Control Driver, 1 Stable Midrange, 1 Stable Putt & Approach.
Optional:
To get the most out of this drill, use 1 disc from each the lists below in new to slightly used condition (you will break them in as you go).
Stable Control Driver
dx gazelle
dx eagle
dx cheetah
polaris ls
d cyclone
dx raven
dx teebird
x xl
voyager

Stable Midrange
dx/kc roc
dx shark
dx/champ spider
dx goblin
dx/champ coyote
d/x/z buzzz
d/z wasp
d/x/z mrv
d/z hawk
s element x

Stable Putt & Approach
dx/kc/champ/star aviar
dx/champ classic roc
s wizard
d/x/z challenger
d/z magnet
q-mega
titanic
#2 upshot

Task:
Play 3+ rounds using a set of 3 discs. After your third round, compare your scores to your usual scores. If there is more than a 5 stroke difference per round, you will likely benefit from more limited disc rounds. At this point, make a list of holes that simply are not well suited for those 3 discs. Ideally, these will be extreme holes, such as 90 degree left fades (anything moderate should be reachable with those 3 discs). After evaluating the extreme holes, add 1 disc to your selection and play 3 more rounds, again comparing your scores to your average rounds.

Your goal is to force yourself to learn how to make discs work as well as develop and hone course management skills. Also, you will likely better learn disc break in characteristics as playing with limited discs will break them in much faster than normal.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:48 pm

you didnt mention sabre as control driver? any reason, or was it just forgotten?
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Blake_T » Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:33 pm

the sabre isn't versatile (read as: low speed overstable) enough to be used for the entire array of shots. the leopard, ace, roadrunner, etc. also suffer from this.
Blake_T

I've started doing this very thing

Postby jiwaburst » Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:33 pm

But I've been using a Champ Valk for this driver spot.

And sometimes I'll use a classic roc/Champ Valk/ and a Star Tee Bird for my three disc challenge.
jiwaburst
Tree Magnet

Postby Blake_T » Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:53 pm

you can use whatever discs you wish,

the list i wrote above were my recommendations as i see them being more versatile than the majority of discs. also, some of these shots will require a lot of "working" by the disc, which is best suited for lower end plastics.

i know if i were playing a 3-disc round my choices:
1) d cyclone or dx gazlle (dx eagle if it were a longer course)
2) dx roc
3) s wizard
Blake_T

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:16 pm

Blake_T wrote:the sabre isn't versatile (read as: low speed overstable) enough to be used for the entire array of shots. the leopard, ace, roadrunner, etc. also suffer from this.

thats understandable. Ive been using sabres and they dont hold a line anywhere near as well as a d cyclone, but I love the resistance to turn for straight drives.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby jiwaburst » Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:19 pm

I'll try it both ways (Champ Valk as driver and DX Teebird as driver), I'll see what I learn. In my game, I'm afraid of playing without a very low trajectory disc. But perhaps It's not as real a concern as I think. Anyways I look forward to it all...
jiwaburst
Tree Magnet

Postby Blake_T » Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:35 pm

i think of it more as a throwback assignment.

the valkyrie (released mid-late 2000) was really the first disc that could break 400' on a line below 15' of height. there were many quality rounds shot before 2000... go for that :)
Blake_T

Postby Blake_T » Thu May 18, 2006 9:04 am

we are onto this week now, anyone done any 3 disc rounds?
Blake_T

Postby garublador » Thu May 18, 2006 9:29 am

Blake_T wrote:we are onto this week now, anyone done any 3 disc rounds?

I tried one at Plymouth Creek to test out the D Cyclone I just bought, but ended up losing it in the muck on hole 12. While that isn't a course I play often, I did learn quite a bit about how to control my discs, especally my midranges (Element-X). I even got my first 4 on hole 8 the other day.

I tried a couple at Basset Creek with a QJLS, S Element-X and S Wizard and I find myself reaching for those disc more often now. It also made me realize that I don't really have a good use for my E Wizard. My beat up S Wizard is stable enough and is more controlable.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby jiwaburst » Thu May 18, 2006 2:54 pm

Did one this morning, or most of one before it got too hot (going to hit 98 today).

I rarely used the roc, I used the putter (classic roc) a lot, and felt that I was stretching out my comfort range with it. I still need to feel more comfortable using my roc for shots 260-300. Carrying fewer discs forces me to throw hard and clean, it takes away some of the overhand and fade heavy shots I've been falling back on.

Oh yeah, I used the Teebird as the driver. Did get some amazing shots with it, shots that I wouldn't normally go for if I had access to other drivers. Essentially learning how to throw it low, hard, and straight like I would the Champ Valk.

Again though, I still have a lot of Roc work to do, to find the right line in between hucking a putter and hucking a Teebird.
jiwaburst
Tree Magnet

Postby presidio hills » Thu May 18, 2006 4:30 pm

i've been using dx eagles, rocs, and wizards.

i played a course yesterday which was mostly wide open with a few trees to go around, or branches to go under on the tee shots. the course was also a little windy, about 15mph.
one thing i've definitely learned is that i can throw my rocs farther than i thought. where normally i may have thrown an XL i was either throwing my roc straight at the target (or slight left... i'm LHBH so it fades right), or i was putting a little more weight forward on my dx eagles to make them turnover. i really like how dx eagles handle a turnover shot! i still dig how easy XLs are to go straight and far, but if i want more distance i feel like throwing my eagles a little harder will achieve the same line.
my usual setup is actually just these 3 discs plus a D XL and an X Xtra. and that's a much smaller bag than i had for the first 2 years of my dg carrier. i feel like with discs that are versatile and straight flying (eagle, wizard, roc) the game and my throws have become much more about ME and less about whether or not i threw the right disc.
i should be able to handle any situation with these 3 discs... it's like 1 slow, 1 medium speed, 1 fast... choose which of those i need, then think about sweep hyzer, hyzer flip (to go straight), turnover, or flex shot. aside from trick shots i feel like i have all the bases covered and more than enough to think about everytime i step up to a shot.
you know i'm wondering if i even need the XL or Xtra? hmmm...
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Blake_T » Thu May 18, 2006 7:24 pm

sounds like things are working out :)
Blake_T

Postby IdahoLefty » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:30 pm

so i know this is a old thread but i have been going threw and trying these. Also i only started playing in April this year lol. how do these disc look.

driver: Impact. I can throw this disc about 50 short of my max d.
mid: flx buzz
putter: 2007 players cup cryztal flx challnger.

we have a small nine hole corse that i shot a 10 down most the time with my full bag playing two 9 hole rounds. i shot a 15 down today with an ace.
Friends dont let friends throw roc's.

buzz for president (its dependable)
IdahoLefty
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Raww!

Return to Disc Golf Review Training Assignments