The flight path of my Roc.

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

The flight path of my Roc.

Postby asimo » Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:27 am

This could prolly go in the throwing technique forum as well but I have placed it here because the problem for me is specific to one disc.

When I throw what is intended to be a flat drive type shot with my Roc, using the power grip and standard reach back method, it flies straight and then turns and fades right at the end of its flight.

The way the Roc flies straight for most of its flight indicates to me that this is a different problem then the one I have with spiking drivers hard and to the right because of off-axis-torque. What am I doing wrong?
asimo
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:51 pm

it's most likely still off-axis torque. i have friends that can throw > 480' and can throw rocs up to around 440' and the rocs fly dead straight for them.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby asimo » Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:39 pm

Is it still off axis-torque even though the disc flies straight for the first part of its journey? It just looks so much different than when I was throwing my Teebird-L hard off to the right.

I am focusing on not arching my back or leaning down with my right shoulder but I am sure the problem isn't completely fixed. Thanks for the help!!!
asimo
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:49 pm

it sounds like some form of torque over. if your roc says "stable midrange" on it, it's gonna be a lot more stable than the ones that say "multi-purpose." if it is turning and is 175g or more and not beat to hell, then you are probably rolling over.

a "roll curve" differs from a standard turnover with an understable disc as you roll the wrist late and that forces a late turn in its flight whereas a standard turnover is more gradual.

what you are describing in flight if the disc starts straight, turns right and finishes turning (with that disc) is a roll curve. either that or you are just throwing it way too low hehe.
Blake_T

Postby asimo » Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:02 pm

The "wrist-roll" sounds like it could be the culpret. I can't say how helpful you have been Blake. Thanks for being a great part of the DG community.
asimo
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:22 am

np. let me know if you are able to iron it out.
Blake_T

Postby asimo » Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:12 pm

Between the great advice I have recieved on this website and the instructional round I played with Jerry "the Mentor" Miller this Saturday, things are finally starting to iron themselves out.

I still have the same problems but now they happen less often and I have some great tools for making them better.

I also have a new favorite disc, the Orion LS. Jerry suggested it for me and it has been an allstar ever since I first threw it. Blake, have you had any experience with this disc?

regards,
Asimo
asimo
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:19 pm

glad to hear things have been working somewhat.

jerry's a good guy. if you are paying for lessons you may be able to grab some free ones with a couple of 6ers of beer here and there. not sure if he's still drinkin full sail or not.

i've thrown the orion a bit. i was starting to dig it a lot when my friend tossed mine in a pond (we were throwing on a soccer field and he grip locked one 60 degrees off line). i have yet to break my replacements in to the same stage the original one was (i didn't care for it until after it hit some trees). it's quite a fast disc and might be a little much if you are still ironing out problems as it still has quite a bit of its own "will."
Blake_T

Return to Equipment