Crazy Day of Disc Golf

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Crazy Day of Disc Golf

Postby jase » Fri May 12, 2006 9:07 pm

I find it a habit every morning when I get up. I check the forecast to make sure that it will be nice to go disc golfing after school. This morning was the same, except I realized that 30-40 mph winds were in the forecast. Me and 5 other friends decided that we wanted to go disc golfing anyway. So after school, we drove to the disc golf course, like usual. We played the first three holes for warmup then decide we want to play best disc doubles for money, regardless of the wind. So we flip discs for teams. I am the best of my friends and when I flip I get the second best disc golfer. By this point I am thinking this will be easy. Yeah, right. First hole there was a 35 mph wind blowing right at us. So I try to throw it low, and it starts to roll towards the hole. I was thinking it was going to be a sweet drive. I was wrong. It completely turned around becuase of the wind and ended up being like a 50 ft. Drive. Every hole basically we were getting 1 or 2 strokes more than usual and couldn't control our drives what-so-ever. On the last hole we were down 1 stroke. It was a short little par three. My teammate had a horrible shot so it was up to me. I hit the top part of the hole, then it bounced of and rolled 30 ft away, which was basically impossible put it 35 mph wind. I was so amazingly pissed of, becuase that was the only reason we didn't win. The wind just completely took control of the disc. I don't really know why I told you all this, I guess just share wind related stories, how you deal with wind, and what not.
jase
Noob

Postby Weebl » Fri May 12, 2006 11:45 pm

If you try to fight the wind it will win. Working with the wind is the key... Heh, I dont know about other manufacturer equivelents for a champion TeeBird, but even with 40mph headwinds, 20 degrees of hyzer will have it flatten and no more. No wind release it with a tinge of hyzer and it flips flat goes straight. This disc has saved me many a hole when wind is gusting in your face, i laugh when others pull out orcs and monsters they all flip so hard... (the monster is fairly unpredictable in a strong headwind, even with hyzer release... at least for me and everyone I've seen.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Pagan » Fri May 12, 2006 11:46 pm

Yeah high winds suck. It gets that way around here a lot. The worst part of it is the longest holes and usually the longest os the holes in facing the headwind. When that happens I just try to play a little more conservatively. Instead of trying to three the long holes (or holes facing the headwind) I'll throw low, and shorter. I will NOT try a 40' put into a headwind. I will throw it low and let it lay up closer to the basket...

I used to try pushing through the wind anyways and have actually gotten a negative distance (disc landing further away) on those. Way I see it. a 4 is better than a 5. This stragety is especially important on our many water holes. On our local course holes 2,3,4,5,6,12,14,anf 15 all have water as a factor. Not just a little pond either. Two differant rivers run together in the park. when the winds blowing hard the currents pushing too. a disc in the middle and it's history.

I guess it comes down to knowing your game limitations.
Pagan
Wizard, Buzzz!, Sabre, Avenger
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Average Controlled Drives ~ 330'
Max Make Putt Range ~ 60'
Addicted since October of '05
Pagan
Tree Magnet

Postby Blake_T » Sat May 13, 2006 12:34 am

sounds like you are wind spoiled.

did you learn anything from that round?
if the next time it is super windy out you refuse to go play, then the answer is no.

you get better at what you do, and you do not get better at what you don't do.

when i started dg, 3 of the worst 4 wind courses in the metro area (~36 courses) were the 3 closest courses to where i lived. now that i have moved, the other course is one of my home courses. at those 4 courses the average is about 20mph with gusts > 60 mph.

needless to say i am a very good wind player.

if you try to throw max d into the wind, you have already lost.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby presidio hills » Sat May 13, 2006 1:14 am

the wind can be fun, too. i love aiming a headwind putt right at the tray, way too low on a calm day, and having the wind just lift it up into the center. or catching a tailwind just right to let it carry the disc farther than you can normally throw. flipping a disc into a headwind. it's all fun when it works...
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby jase » Sat May 13, 2006 9:51 am

Weebl wrote:If you try to fight the wind it will win. Working with the wind is the key... Heh, I dont know about other manufacturer equivelents for a champion TeeBird, but even with 40mph headwinds, 20 degrees of hyzer will have it flatten and no more. No wind release it with a tinge of hyzer and it flips flat goes straight. This disc has saved me many a hole when wind is gusting in your face, i laugh when others pull out orcs and monsters they all flip so hard... (the monster is fairly unpredictable in a strong headwind, even with hyzer release... at least for me and everyone I've seen.

how do you throw a hyzer release? I guess i've never tried it.

Blake_T wrote:sounds like you are wind spoiled.

did you learn anything from that round?
if the next time it is super windy out you refuse to go play, then the answer is no.

you get better at what you do, and you do not get better at what you don't do.

when i started dg, 3 of the worst 4 wind courses in the metro area (~36 courses) were the 3 closest courses to where i lived. now that i have moved, the other course is one of my home courses. at those 4 courses the average is about 20mph with gusts > 60 mph.

needless to say i am a very good wind player.

if you try to throw max d into the wind, you have already lost.

I wouldn't say I'm wind spoiled living in South Dakota. Yes I learned some things from that round. It's a slightly less wind today and I'm gonna go play again.
jase
Noob

Postby TexasOutlaw » Fri May 19, 2006 10:21 pm

The wind can be a mutha, but you can use it to your advantage. Though I'm not a great wind player like others on the forum, I have learned what to do with certain wind conditions.

One shot that I don't see too much said about is throwing a roller RHBH with a LR wind. You get a sail effect it seems to me.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Pagan » Fri May 19, 2006 10:42 pm

jase wrote:how do you throw a hyzer release? I guess i've never tried it.

I wouldn't say I'm wind spoiled living in South Dakota. Yes I learned some things from that round. It's a slightly less wind today and I'm gonna go play again.

South Dakota? Cool I'm in North Dakota. It gets windy here. (Folks around here say it's because Montana Blows, Minnesota sucks, and there's nothing in North Dakota) Anyways at my home course (Klaus Park) there's ALWAYS a wind here. There's an awesome article here about playing the wind. Disc Golf Magazine ran it too. http://www.discgolfreview.com/resources ... wind.shtml

I've read it twice and it does help. Understand I am NOT coming down or ragging on you. I just wanna offer some help. I'm no master at playing the wind, but after a couple reads and trying to applying some of the information I've gotten a little better. Now when the winds are 30 I'm not cowering inside and whining, I'm outside tossing plastic. When I'm driving downwind I try to throw a little higher so the disc gets a good ride before the wind makes it drop. I also try to use the left/right wind directions to my advantage too. Hole 13 faces due south. When the wind is blowing from the North-West I throw a les stable disc, higher and slighty right so the wind helps my line. Read the article cause Blakes got me beat on the wind play.

Off my soap-box now.
Pagan
Pagan
Tree Magnet

Postby jase » Fri May 19, 2006 11:54 pm

Where do you live in North Dakota. I was born in Minot and go up there quite a bit in the summer.
jase
Noob

Postby Pagan » Sat May 20, 2006 11:04 am

jase wrote:Where do you live in North Dakota. I was born in Minot and go up there quite a bit in the summer.

I am living in the North-East area of Jamestown. The Two Rivers Open on July 15th is at my home course in Klaus Park. Perhaps I'll see ya there. If ya are at Klaus Park ask for me I'm always there. In fact these three days I've been trapped to the couch with a foot injury is making my go nuts. I'm usually there every day unless the weather's too bad. Locals know me as Harold, Pagan, or H-Bomb. You could just look for my low-rider Lincoln :-)

Incidently: Nodland is here today at the Resevoir starting construction of the New course. 27 holes (last I heard) on and off the island. Supposed the most difficult in the state after it's completed. So perhaps next years tourament here will be much more challenging.

I forgot to answer a question here in my last message. A hyzer release is a throw where the outside edge of the disc is lower than the hand. So if you're a righty throwing backhand the angle would be like //
Pagan
Tree Magnet

Postby jase » Sat May 20, 2006 12:21 pm

We always go through Jamestown on our way up to Minot. Maybe I'll ask my mom if we can stop and play sometime.
jase
Noob

Postby Terrence » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:46 am

I've been playing DG casually for nearly 4 years at Mason County Pumped Storage park in Ludington, MI, which contains three 24-hole courses. This park sits up on the hills almost directly on the Lake Michigan shoreline. In my time there I have learned to read the wind like one would read the green on a golf course. It's windy so many days here that I often get poor scores when it's calm!
Terrence
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Return to General Discussion