top three Cali courses

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby Desafinado » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:18 am

dflaschiii wrote:I played the 18 hole one next to abandoned dorms. An ugly area and a pretty boring and simple layout for the course. Even worse, there is concrete on many fairways, some of which are 400ft holes from elevated tees, so the disc is skipping hard off that concrete. I will never play this course again, and the only thing keeping it from getting an F is the fact that it has decent baskets.

However, I live in Reno, and the nearest course is 45 min away, so I'd be happy to have this course in my area :). But against Stafford, Dela, Golden Gate, and all the Tahoe courses, this one is a D.

Yeah, I definitely don't think Cypress is terrific, I think I would put it in the C or C- range.

Next time you're in the area, do go check out the Oaks course, it's about 2 miles away from the Cypress course and is definitely worth playing, in my opinion.

And re-reading your description of why Stafford appealed to you, I agree that you would really dig Napa. It's somewhat of a 'Stafford Jr.'.. my friend and I shot some video out there back in 2006:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7d1A7gXKjY
Desafinado
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Postby dflaschiii » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:30 pm

Nice vid, that course looks great, and you guys have good technique. I'll defidently hit up Napa in a few months.

Has anyone played that Big Sur Eco-Adventure Mystery course? The description on PDGA.com makes it sound like the coolest course on earth. The people I talked to said it's impossible to get in touch with the guy who runs it, so nobody knows how to get there, and even if they did, they wouldn't have permission (guess that's part of the Mystery). It promises, "giant redwoods, beaches, rivers, waterfalls, mountains." For 15 bucks a round, I'd expect nothing less than the greatest disc golf experience of my life.

I'm also intruiged by the Kirkwood Mountain course, has anyone played this one? Base elevation 7800 ft!
dflaschiii
Tree Magnet

Postby Jesse B 707 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:12 pm

$15 a round :shock: does that come with a happy ending too? :twisted:. iv'e heard kirkwood is great fun but im never up that way in the summer maybe i'll include it in one of my DG road trips this summer :D
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby plastic_fondler » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:29 am

Big Sur Eco-Adventure is a company started by a guy I have seen in SF. He mentioned something about it before moving down to SC. Honestly, I'd just plan on playing the Big Sur tournies if you want a taste of that area. 15 bucks doesn't include the headies so I'm sticking with my boys in Ukiah and further north

:roll:
plastic_fondler
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: firebird

Postby widewhale » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:24 pm

I travel to SF a lot but I normally just play Golden Gate Park. I had to go to Healdsburg this week and I stopped at Stafford. It really blew me away. I'm pretty sure I would weigh a lot less if I played there a few times a week!

Many thanks to someone called Peter for showing me around the course.
widewhale
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: dx bb aviar

Postby widewhale » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:36 pm

However, I live in Reno, and the nearest course is 45 min away, so I'd be happy to have this course in my area :). But against Stafford, Dela, Golden Gate, and all the Tahoe courses, this one is a D.[/quote]

I make the drive between Reno and Sacramento every so often. I played the Truckee course last time. What else should I be playing (without going too much out of the way)?
widewhale
Tree Magnet

Postby dflaschiii » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:58 am

The Truckee course is pretty good, but if you drive another 20 min there is a course on the north edge of lake Tahoe, near King's Beach, called Lake of the Sky that is very good. There are a few holes that have spectacular veiws of the lake, and others that weave through beautiful forests, and some that have wicked elevation changes. Only problem is the lack of signs, so the first time I played the course it took 3 hours, try to get someone to show you around.
http://www.pdga.com/course/courses_by_city.php?id=2633

Another 30min south on the east side of the lake there are a few more courses, Zephyr Cove and Bijou Park. Bijou is 27 holes, very long and very tough. Here's a cool vid on youtube that shows the course, I love the trees:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPklGkz41go
Only played Zephyr once but it is also excellent. Tahoe really offers a lot of great disc golf, I'd think they could easily host a really fun four-day national tourney out there (if nothing else, it would be a really tough ice bowl).
dflaschiii
Tree Magnet

Postby widewhale » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:26 am

Thanks. I will have to schedule a trip there soon.

Do you know if the recent storms affect those areas?
widewhale
Tree Magnet

Postby plastic_fondler » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:14 pm

widewhale wrote:I'm pretty sure I would weigh a lot less if I played there a few times a week!

I have a friend that has lost 30lbs playing Stafford. It's really a hike out there and if you speed up your pace you can get a decent heart rate going.

I play with Peter all the time. I'll mention something to him when I see him next. I don't think he is on here.
plastic_fondler
Fairway Surgeon

Postby dflaschiii » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:48 pm

widewhale wrote:Thanks. I will have to schedule a trip there soon.

Do you know if the recent storms affect those areas?

Unless you want to play in three feet of snow, it will be awhile before those courses are playable. We got hammered last weekend.
dflaschiii
Tree Magnet

Postby widewhale » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:03 am

plastic_fondler wrote:
widewhale wrote:I'm pretty sure I would weigh a lot less if I played there a few times a week!

I have a friend that has lost 30lbs playing Stafford. It's really a hike out there and if you speed up your pace you can get a decent heart rate going.

I play with Peter all the time. I'll mention something to him when I see him next. I don't think he is on here.

I met someone on my way off the course that mentioned they had lost 30 lbs playing there. Probably the same guy.
widewhale
Tree Magnet

Postby Desafinado » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:10 pm

Some Stafford Lake footage for those who've never been- shot by a local TV network.

http://link.brightcove.com/services/lin ... 1369766886

The video player is in the upper right hand of the page. Stafford rocks...
Desafinado
Tree Magnet

Postby plastic_fondler » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:08 pm

This really came out nice for us. Very professional. Thanks for posting!

Check out Coldtrap's huge flick on hole 9. I'm even in there...although I hit the putt weakside.
plastic_fondler
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Desafinado » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:53 pm

plastic_fondler wrote:This really came out nice for us. Very professional. Thanks for posting!

Check out Coldtrap's huge flick on hole 9. I'm even in there...although I hit the putt weakside.

I was going to ask you who that was, that was a massive forehand shot! They really did do a great job in producing this, hopefully it will create more exposure around these parts.
Desafinado
Tree Magnet

Postby k-os » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:21 pm

I may be heading out to Cali for 4-5 days during Spring Break. Where would you recommend we stay to have the most exposure to Cali's courses? I'd prefer free courses, but if there's a charge of $5 and you think it's definitely worth it that's fine.
k-os
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: FLX Buzzz

PreviousNext

Return to Courses