Really frustrating is...

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Really frustrating is...

Postby Blake_T » Sun May 21, 2006 12:00 am

... overthrowing 360' and 330' slight downhill holes with a roc by 100' by accident because you got "ahold of it"

... pulling up 50' short on an 800' downhill hole with a roc and then pulling up 100' short with a driver.

... parking every hole you threw a roc on and botching every drive with a driver.

... after every hole you threw a driver on, you say out loud to your group you just should have thrown a roc.

that was my round today heh. i think i need to hit the field and get my drive on, either that or just take them all out of my bag :P
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Blake_T » Sun May 21, 2006 12:02 am

i should add that every time i stepped up to the tee and said "for those about to roc" right before i threw, my rocs went about 50' farther than usual.

this was rather amusing.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby lacrimosa » Sun May 21, 2006 2:07 am

today I decided to roc out on a ~350 ft slightly downhill right turning hole that I've been overshooting with drivers

I slipped and ended up yanking it like 50ft high w/ the nose up, but immediately after I threw the headwind picked up to ~35 mpg and blew the roc back like 10 ft in front of the tee :!:
lacrimosa
Noob

Postby TexasOutlaw » Sun May 21, 2006 8:42 am

Nice problem to have; the only thing I overthrow is the 200-250 holes.

It's Sunday, and I get to play today! Then it's off for more work on my tattoo.

I like pleasure spiked with pain, and music is my.....
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby jHarr » Sun May 21, 2006 9:06 am

...air o plane

...trying to play the afternoon tourney round like you did in the morning to preserve your decent score but ignoring the fact that the wind has picked up and leaving the teepads always thinkin "shoulda just thrown a roc..."
jHarr
Noob

Postby Pagan » Sun May 21, 2006 9:50 am

Parking a drive 30' from the basket many times but never duecing it once... Hole 11 @ my home course, ONE DAY I WILL duece it... one day...

Pagan
Wizard, Buzzz!, Sabre, Avenger
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Average Controlled Drives ~ 330'
Max Make Putt Range ~ 60'
Addicted since October of '05
Pagan
Tree Magnet

Postby Aaron_D » Sun May 21, 2006 10:06 am

Personally, I use 'Roc on'. Then when I shank the shot I say: That shot was on an early release program....then my partner says 'thats what she said'. Rinse and repeat. God I love disc golf!
Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sun May 21, 2006 10:09 am

I love throwing sabres downhill almost as much as a roc down hill, and a beat up avenger is still the longest (not ass accurate though, that thing will turn a long time before slowning down)

aggrovating today is scoring just below my average for a course(-4 and -2, my average is -5), but have 3 or 4 bounce outs and 3 or 4 baskets hit in a round. And leaving w/ the worse tag Ive had yet. (If half the putts I hit metal on went in I would have left w/ the tag I came in w/, the lowest)

Ive been working on my putts mentally lately, and still struggled mentally today.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Re: Really frustrating is...

Postby Weebl » Sun May 21, 2006 12:38 pm

Blake_T wrote:... overthrowing 360' and 330' slight downhill holes with a roc by 100' by accident because you got "ahold of it"

... pulling up 50' short on an 800' downhill hole with a roc and then pulling up 100' short with a driver.

that was my round today heh. i think i need to hit the field and get my drive on, either that or just take them all out of my bag :P

I have the same thing these past few days, Mids have more 'meat' you can get ahold of, and i always feel like I get a better rip with mids. My driving distance is fluctuating between 350' and 415' these past few days, and my Rocs are holding a solid 350'-380' :? I also broke out an old gazelle that was beat and once I was able to give it enough hyzer to hold straight (50 degrees hyzer) it went 400' effortlessly... I need to go to a field and do some driving drills soon...
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Re: Really frustrating is...

Postby presidio hills » Sun May 21, 2006 6:15 pm

Blake_T wrote:... parking every hole you threw a roc on and botching every drive with a driver.

... after every hole you threw a driver on, you say out loud to your group you just should have thrown a roc.

sounds like every round i've had the last two months... 'cept i'm not parking EVERY hole with my roc.
i had a really good session in a field the other day and was finally throwing my drivers nicely. i know it was all in my head, because rocs i can visualize exactly how it feels to throw the shot before i rip it. with the drivers it's finally felt like that and now i'm pumped up. i can put my rocs probably in the 250'-280 range... and my drivers were only going 10-20 ft. further... but now i think i'm getting my drivers out to 320' or 350' with less effort than ever before. the main difference has been focusing on finishing, as blake always suggests. literally my thought process is "just get it on that hyzer line, nice and easy". i throw and feel very in control so the follow through is stronger... but slower and looser and then i was before (quick and tense).
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby TexasOutlaw » Sun May 21, 2006 8:52 pm

How's this for frustrating:

Hole 1 Putt--hits the top of the basket.
Hole 2 Putt--hits the bottom part of the basket.
Hole 3 Putt--Birdie.
Hole 4 Putt--Hits the top of the basket.

You get the picture.

Oh wait Hole 6 Putt--It gets there, the front lip of the disc makes it to the basket before running out of juice and drops underneath it.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby krusen » Mon May 22, 2006 8:18 am

...getting outplayed by someone who you normally beat...especially when it is their first round of the year, and you have played in two tournaments and over a dozen casual rounds. :evil:

...not being able to hit a putt during said disastrous round.

...hitting the chains squarely during said putts, but the crappy homemade baskets at the only course within an hours drive spit everything out except the most perfect putt.

...getting pulled over for illegal window tint on the way home from the round

...realizing during the round that you left your brand new Teebird out in the football field during a practice session two nights previous and scouring the field only to come up empty. Also further infuriation stemming from the thought that the middle school child that found the disc will probably never be able to throw it correctly and it will be relinquished to a box of old sporting goods in their basement before it even has a nick on the wing.

Yes, this was my Saturday. At least I beat the guy on the third round of 9 holes, and I started hitting putts.
krusen
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Old Mold DX Beast

Postby jiwaburst » Mon May 22, 2006 10:59 am

sounds like a rough day, sorry...

my yesterday was pretty bad as well, first time I've ever picked up a disc during a casual competitive round and just said screw it, I lose, next hole. I was sitting 7 about 80' from the tee (three OBs).

...realizing during the round that you left your brand new Teebird out in the football field during a practice session two nights previous and scouring the field only to come up empty. Also further infuriation stemming from the thought that the middle school child that found the disc will probably never be able to throw it correctly and it will be relinquished to a box of old sporting goods in their basement before it even has a nick on the wing.

on Friday I got a call from the parents of a girl who found my disc in my practice field and really wanted it returned to me. Her parents tried to convince her it was no big deal, but this girl pushed her parents to decipher my faded phone number and call me. It was really cute. I gave her three bucks for an ice cream reward.
jiwaburst
Tree Magnet

Postby Torg » Mon May 22, 2006 11:24 am

how about--

I haven't had a hole in one for over 7 years and the other day in one round I hit the chains 3 times on drives and the pole once. Still drought season for aces here.
Torg
Tree Magnet

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon May 22, 2006 11:45 am

I look at it this way: days with bad rounds are always better than days with no rounds.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Next

Return to General Discussion