Advice on my second set of discs I am going to buy.

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Advice on my second set of discs I am going to buy.

Postby Mark56 » Mon May 22, 2006 5:05 pm

I'm fairly new to disc golf, a little over a month, but the more expirenced players were telling me I was above average for only playing that long, which is good. The first set of discs I bought were all DX series common disc's from Dicks Sporting Goods. I have played a lot though and my Discs are becoming very beat and knicked up from roads, rocks, trees, more rocks, and dive bombs. I started out with a Valkyrie (I enjoyed), A Cheetah (I call it old reliable), a Beast (Awsome driver, i would buy another one but I was to experience different types of dics, also, it has begun to fade far to the right after each throw) and a Aviar (What can I say about that...).

Since these discs have got severe (or what I would concider) damages to them I was planning on buyind 2-4 more discs to start and lpay with. This time, instead of buying DX however, I was planning on getting Proline or Champion. I plan on buying these from the gottathrowgottago.com site.

After clicking ones that interested me here is the list I came up with, and then I read reveiws on this site to double check, but for a triple check and more advice, I thought I'd make a post.

Putters & Approach

Birdie DX- It seemed like a solid putter/approach to be using, the reveiws seemed a little mixed however.

Rhyno DX- I liked the way this one was described on the site and seemed like a good disc to buy however once again the reveiws were mixed, although It did say it was good in the wind, and the courses I play are very Windy.

Roc ??? - I don't know much about this disc but apparently it's good for approach although there have, once again been mixed reveiws so I had my concerns.

Drivers

Firebird Pro/Champ- I had looked at this disc but it seemed to have a more negative gist to it...

Monster Pro/Champ- This disc interested me because 1) I have never heard of it and none of the kids I plya with have it 2) it seems to be very similar to the Beast which I really liked 3) reveiws were good

Orc Pro/Champ - had good reveiws and my friends also have this disc and seems to be working for them well enough. Reveiws seemed pretty positive towards this disc

Wriath Pro/DX - this disc has built up a lot of hype and is known as the Ultimate distance disc, and the reveiws were positive towards it.

Overall I had been leaning towards getting a Rhyno for a putter and a Monster for a Driver, but was unsure about which Fairway/Approach driver I should be getting.

Any help/advice/questions I would appreciate a lot and thanks for reading.
Mark56
Noob

Postby Aaron_D » Mon May 22, 2006 5:14 pm

If you have only been playing a month, your discs are fine. In fact, they are just breaking in and you just need to start giving them more hyzer angle and they will fly better than they ever have.

I would consider myself lucky to start on dx discs (especially a valk aviar and beast) and I cannot stress enough how much champ / elite z / star plastic will mess with your technique.

Not that those plastics are bad...there is a time and place for them. But you NEED to learn on dx for at least a few months (or longer).

If you are really itching on getting another disc DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND GET A DX TEEBIRD. It will compliment your set of discs and be a great straight driver for a long time.

Dx plastic ages to do exactly what you are describing, but thats when it gets really good! Dx disc break in after a month or so and stay in their 'prime' for a looong time...depending on how often you play they could last years.
Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby jase » Mon May 22, 2006 5:14 pm

I can help you out a little.

Birdie- Forget about it. I have used one and nothing good came out of it.
Ryhno-Decent putter. Flys straight(as it should) and is soft so it sticks.
Roc-Hands down IMO the most important disc. Flys very straight, and is very predictable

As for the drivers, I'd just get a Wraith if you don't want to spend that much. I just recently got one and I love it. It is so fast. Even if you hit some branches, you can still turn it into a decent throw becuase it goes through the trees.

Anymore questions, just ask.
jase
Noob

Postby Aaron_D » Mon May 22, 2006 5:18 pm

my recommendations:

Putter: GET A WIZARD!!! you will be using it for the rest of your disc golf career.

approach: GET A ROC!!! mixed reviews my ass...this is what you want....dx of course.

driver: GET A DX TEEBIRD!!! you already have your ultra long drivers (valk/beast) you need a straight flyer that meshes well with your longer drivers.

another mistake I would avoid is getting everything max weight. start at 170 and move up or down slowly if you dont like 170 (but i bet you will)
Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby Aaron_D » Mon May 22, 2006 5:22 pm

a wraith is a great disc, but since he already has a valk--which i consider more beginner friendly for an ultra long range driver--a wraith would be redundant.

I agree about the birdie...the wizard is 100 times better.
Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby Mark56 » Mon May 22, 2006 5:42 pm

Aaron_D wrote:If you have only been playing a month, your discs are fine. In fact, they are just breaking in and you just need to start giving them more hyzer angle and they will fly better than they ever have.

I would consider myself lucky to start on dx discs (especially a valk aviar and beast) and I cannot stress enough how much champ / elite z / star plastic will mess with your technique.

Not that those plastics are bad...there is a time and place for them. But you NEED to learn on dx for at least a few months (or longer).

If you are really itching on getting another disc DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND GET A DX TEEBIRD. It will compliment your set of discs and be a great straight driver for a long time.

Dx plastic ages to do exactly what you are describing, but thats when it gets really good! Dx disc break in after a month or so and stay in their 'prime' for a looong time...depending on how often you play they could last years.

Hmm well I guess that's something to think about. It's just they are really knicked and cut and scraped all along the edges which can't be good for areodynamics and whatnot but I'll take that into concideration.

And I'll go and check out a wizard. Thanks.
Mark56
Noob

Postby Aaron_D » Mon May 22, 2006 5:44 pm

those nicks and dings dont affect the flight at all. i have a valk that looks like someone hit it with a wedge in several spots and it flies the best out of all my valks.
Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby Blake_T » Mon May 22, 2006 7:24 pm

the nicks and cuts affect aerodynamics, but in a good way. i would recommend smoothing them down with sand paper a bit though.

they increase lift as well as responsiveness and decrease low speed fade by holding the disc in the direction of the spin longer.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

hmm

Postby Mark56 » Mon May 22, 2006 7:25 pm

well I couldn't find any Wizards on gottagogottathrow.com :( so I went ahead and got the Rhyno.

And while i was at it I went with the gut instinct that told me to buy the Monster.

Know why I went with my gut?
Did you know you actually have more nerve endings in your gut, than you do in your brain? It's true, you can look it up.
Now I know some of you might say, I did look it up and thats not true...well that's because you looked it up in a book. Next time try looking it up in your gut, thats where the truth lies.
Mark56
Noob

hm

Postby Mark56 » Mon May 22, 2006 7:26 pm

oh And i forgot to say thanks for the advice, I will still use those discs because of what you guys have said, but I also just want to experiment a little since I just started.

Thanks
Mark56
Noob

Postby Woodchuck » Mon May 22, 2006 7:52 pm

the monster is going to be a great big meat hook for you that probably won't go very far because its going to make a nice L shaped flight. You definetly need a mid range disc the DX Roc is a good choice.
Woodchuck
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Mon May 22, 2006 7:58 pm

just did a search for wizard on gggt and there's 5 diff ones that pop up.

i know the firm and med are currently out of stock though.
Blake_T

ha

Postby Mark56 » Mon May 22, 2006 8:03 pm

oh opps i forgot that I was buying the xout discs :) so I could save some money. thanks though.
Mark56
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Mon May 22, 2006 9:23 pm

well, hopefully the $2-3 will be worth it in the long run :P

all i can say is that gut instincts in disc buying generally betray you, but hopefully yours will work out.
Blake_T

hmm

Postby Mark56 » Mon May 22, 2006 9:25 pm

yea probably

stevan colbert did that little segement at the white house correspondents dinner for bush a while back and it was relaly funny so i like to say it.
Mark56
Noob

Next

Return to Equipment