Advice on my second set of discs I am going to buy.

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby Jwt4412 » Mon May 22, 2006 10:21 pm

I simply can't throw a Monster.

90 Degree Angle Disc into the ground up to the Hot Stamp for me...
Jwt4412
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: DGA D-Line Reef

Postby discmonkey42 » Mon May 22, 2006 11:24 pm

dx tbird, dx valk, dx roc, s wizard. I've got hundreds and hundreds of dollars worth of champ and z discs in my closet and that's what's in my bag right now. My scores are down by 4-5 per round. My accuracy is much improved. I am having more fun because I am getting better. Stay with the dx. I know it looks ugly, but that's when it's best. Learn to hyzer flip those discs and you will be shocked at how far they fly. My .02
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby Pagan » Tue May 23, 2006 12:14 am

Mark56; I envy ya kid (don't take offense it's not meant as a derrogatory remark.) It's your first month of playing and you've got great advice and suggestions pouring in by the pagefull. I was playing for 5 months and firmly established into my Throw Champion/Elite-Z highly overstable routine. When I read guys (and girls) posting that players of my experience level should NOT be doing that, I just figured I knew better and persisted. Well it's two months later. I go out and play at least one round nearly every single day. The most that I have NOT played is 4 days and that was because I was stuck on the couch due to a foot injury. So ya figure with 91 days since then and missing at the most 3 days each month; 82 days means 82 rounds at least! So here's what I've learned in 82 rounds. I present it in the hopes that it helps you and your game. Take it in the spirit it's intended; goodwill.

Innova: Monsters, Wraiths, Tee-Rexs. Discraft: Xtreme, Xtra, Predator, Talon
All in Champion Plastic or Elite-Z for the Discraft. All have their place in a pro/ advanced players bag. Not in mine (though I did keep the Predator for headwinds) as I was murdering my form. I posted here finally in frustration because I couldnt throw straight unless I threw extremely overstable discs.

Here's a link to my post and the wonderful help these people offered

http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=465&highlight=

If ya want better distance FORM FORM FORM! It's not arm strength. It's form. It's knowing just how to move your body to make it act as a human disc-launching catapult hurtling that disc through the air with enough spin to maintin it's orientation and line to the ground (or basket). Here's proof.

This sunday I was unable to stand with my full body wieght on my right foot for longer than 3 seconds without extreme pain. Bear this in mind when you read the next sentence. With a HOBBLE up step and just waist / arm motion I was able to throw my Cyclone (a fairway driver) 280' consistently and accurately through even tunnel shots. Now most would balk at this pittiful distance. Perhaps in another 82 rounds I will too.

I would suggest ya watch the video's available here and try to imitate their form. I watched the 2004 Worlds frame by frame when Climo, Shultz, Rico, and all the masters threw trying to replicate their motions.

I realize that this post is long winded and that's a bad habbit of mine. I apoligise.
I realise that I may sound preachy. I'm sorry if I sound that way. I'm not trying to do that. I am just trying to let you have the chance to learn from my mistakes.

Pagan
Wizard, Roc, Teebird, Wraith
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Addicted since October of '05
Pagan
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby lacrimosa » Tue May 23, 2006 12:52 am

heh, when I first started playing disc last fall, I used a beat eagle and a beat beast that a friend gave me. I lost those pretty quickly however, and was becoming addicted to golf, so I went to the discraft website and bought one of their z plastic misprint packs. they ended up sending me a bunch of max weight z avengers, crushes, flicks, and predators ( = great discs to learn on :roll: ).

so naturally, as I progressed, my form evolved into throwing with tons of anhyzer and wrist roll (this was what I figured was necessary to make the disc go 'straight'). I don't think I could even throw a hyzer. it wasn't until later when I started playing with better players that I learned proper hyzer-flip form. I wish I would have known about this site when I started..

actually, I seem to remember googling for "disc golf forum", but never found this site. now it's #8 on yahoo and #1 on google
lacrimosa
Noob

Postby discmonkey42 » Tue May 23, 2006 9:48 am

Pagan wrote: With a HOBBLE up step and just waist / arm motion I was able to throw my Cyclone (a fairway driver) 280' consistently and accurately through even tunnel shots. Now most would balk at this pittiful distance. Perhaps in another 82 rounds I will too.
Pagan

This sunday I played in a tournament (poorly, I suck at putting under pressure apparently :D ), but I was thrilled with my accuracy. I am currently only using a walking x step to drive with. I am now putting my dx teebirds about 320 with deadly accuracy, my dx valk about 340 with accuracy, and had two drives in the 360 range with my new/used (bought used and beat) dx teebird that both went exactly where I wanted. I can't say enough about "discing down"!
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby krusen » Tue May 23, 2006 11:32 am

Mark,
Listen to these guys.
I throw about 330', and have a Monster sitting in a box in my closet. I figure I'll give it another try when I can throw over 400'. They are VERY overstable. Even the big arms use them for tight left turns, trick shots, or 20+ mph headwinds.
Get yourself a Roc or Buzz, a Teebird or Cyclone, and a Wizard or Aviar. that is truely all you need at this point.

In the opinion of many, the birdie is the worst putter around.

Stay away from the high speed discs and the high grade plastic.

Read the article on nose angles and trajectory.
Last edited by krusen on Tue May 23, 2006 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
krusen
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Old Mold DX Beast

Postby Solty » Tue May 23, 2006 11:34 am

what the guy posted above me said

well put krusen :)
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Previous

Return to Equipment