a forum is just that

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

a forum is just that

Postby calvarycoffee » Wed May 17, 2006 12:27 am

don't mean to step on toes here. . .

there are a lot of redundent topics/questions/answers/ect in this forum.

but isn't that what a forum is? - lighthearted chit chat.

I love chatting about discgolf while playing around with a buddy. i have probably raved about my flash a million times to him. and will probably do so a million more times.

typing "chit chat" is a little more time consuming than talking it, of course. But no one should feel obligated to respond in a certain way. 5 words or 5 pages, whatever's your bag, baby.

just thought i'd throw in $.02
dave

btw, i have used the search utility in the forum dozens of times.
Do not resist chances. . . and there will be one less thing you cannot do -ACG
calvarycoffee
Tree Magnet

Postby discmonkey42 » Wed May 17, 2006 8:11 am

in a sense, yes. Chit chat is fine on a social forum. This is a place I come to for help, not to socialize. As a user and not an advisor, even I get tired of reading the same question over and over and over and over again. I find myself screaming at my computer, "DOESN'T ANYONE PAY ATTENTION??!! DIDN'T YOU JUST READ WHAT BLAKE SAID 19 HUNDRED TIMES BEFORE??!! DO YOU NOT HAVE ANYTHING ELSE TO DO BUT POST REDUNDANT QUESTIONS??!!"

I know it's dangerous to use all caps in a forum and I'm not trying to flame anyone at all. But Blake is right. Learn from what is already here and ask new and progressive questions when they come up. The concepts here cannot be learned overnight and require a lot of practice. Go out and practice one or two things at a time and when you get stuck and can't find the answer here by searching or need clarification, then post questions. This forum is a valuable resource if it doesn't start to become cluttered with useless posts. For that and the idle chit chat, use the pdga forum - it's already useless. For serious students of the game, this is the place to get useable and substantial information.

Again, I am not trying to offend anyone and I've learned a ton from everyone here, but let's not abuse the incredible free service Blake is providing to us by not at least looking to see if he might have already answered the question you are about to post. Blake, I (and my doubles partners) thank you tremendously for all the help, keep up the great work.
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby bigs348 » Wed May 17, 2006 8:13 am

I agree with you to an extent, but I think the thread that Jestyr started with links to common threads is very smart and could really help the flow of the message board.

I've noticed a bit that sometimes people ask a question that's been answered a dozen times before, half of us read it and ignore it, and then they don't get their answer.

Also, before I ever joined the forum and posed my first question, I pretty much read everything there was to read on discgolfreview.com and on this forum. I think that's just the courteous way to communicate via message board. Some people don't want to be bothered to look back two pages to see what topics have been brought up.
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby krusen » Wed May 17, 2006 8:32 am

I think this may be the price to pay for a successful website and forum. Before the PDGA forum kicked out non-members, I had never used this forum. I read the articles thoroughly, but since I could get advice from Blake on PDGA.com, I never bothered to register here. When I joined the forum, you were lucky to see new topics or replies a couple times a day. Now there is always new replies which makes things interesting. I agree with all of you that many of the new topics could be avoided with some research, and also get sick of reading the same question over and over. But remember that we were all noobs once. One of the reasons that this is such a great game is the comraderie between players. Giving and gaining knowledge to/from others. I plan to use the reply "do a search" every now and then, and I hope nobody gets offended.
krusen
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Old Mold DX Beast

Postby sleepy » Wed May 17, 2006 10:54 am

A rule I try to stick to when posting new threads on this or any forum:

Search for your topic first. If the results are insufficient, or you've already read them and you still have questions, then post a new topic in the appropriate section...and ONLY one section...no cross-posting.

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Blake_T » Wed May 17, 2006 11:59 am

i'm glad to see the board has more traffic, and i definitely don't mind the chit chat, nor do i really mind repetitive questions.

my fear about overt repetition that occurs with great frequency (e.g. same question 3-4 times a week) is that those are the types of things that cause post degeneration. anyone that has been a reader of the pdga.com board over the past few years will know exactly what i'm talking about.

example:
Q: should i throw dx or champ plastic?

first 3 times it gets asked, full in depth reply covering all bases of reasons, links to articles, etc.

next 3 times it gets asked, moderate explanation touching on key points from replies 1-3.

the 20th time it gets asked, one line reply stating one or the other and a basic reason.

the 50th time it gets asked, sarcastic answers, flaming, non-replies, etc. tend to happen.

i hope that this board never becomes a place where "buy a wraith" becomes the end all solution answer to every question.

i want everyone to get as much as they can out of the board and the site and that it continues to progress and take on the more difficult and intricate topics of disc golf as those tend to be the most interesting ones and where many of the "secrets" reside.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby TexasOutlaw » Fri May 19, 2006 2:57 pm

What brought this on? Not something I thought would ever happen on this forum. This is an instructional site; HOWEVER, we share much in common as you can see by the off topics thread.

As far as repeating questions, it's a fact of life in forums. Yes, it get's annoying sometimes. But, if it's something we or someone else can answer rather easily, why not just answer rather than, "look it up." Or point them to the correct thread.

The fact is, these threads encourage discussion. And in no way resemble the PDGA. I enjoy interacting with the people on this board. I am glad to see that there is no one (yet?) that gives me that sick feeling when I see the name (like the PDGA board).
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby calvarycoffee » Sat May 20, 2006 12:17 am

oh, sorry, outlaw. . .

i had read a response by blake in a previous post (don't remember which one). blake said he gets asked the same things over and over every day. that would annoy anyone.

plus, other people have expressed annoyance at repeated topics.

jestyr posted a FAQ topic under the equipment forum to try and help this problem. (great job by the way)

i look at this as a good problem, though.

tons of involvement = tons of repeats.

somethings turn sour, like the pdga.com forum. but we have a good thing going here at discgolfreview.com.

so, keep it up!!

dave
Do not resist chances. . . and there will be one less thing you cannot do -ACG
calvarycoffee
Tree Magnet

Postby TexasOutlaw » Sun May 21, 2006 8:46 am

I must of missed a thread. I doubt that Blake was being mean-spirited, maybe just frustrated. When I worked in a gun shop, I had a lot of fun. But explaining the difference between a .308 and a 30/06 for the 10th time to the same guy....

"Is it much farther Poppa Smurf?"
"Not much farther now."
"Not much farther now."
"Not much farther now."
"Yes it is!"
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

chit chat

Postby soaresjo » Thu May 25, 2006 12:52 am

speaking of chit chat... I live in oregon and am looking to see a few more courses around here while I am still in school. Currently I have only been to willamette park, adair, (both corvallis) and whistler's bend (roseburg) while living in oregon. (Been to a few others in california.) Any good suggestions for a nice weekend drive course?
thanks

-john
The Shark Loves Free Slurpees!
soaresjo
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Thu May 25, 2006 1:39 am

mciver is fairly scenic and in its new layout is MUCH longer than the one i used to play. it's fairly open, but quite long.

i didn't care much for timber or dabney. haven't really played too many other oregon courses except for willamette and rockwood.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

rate

Postby soaresjo » Thu May 25, 2006 9:31 am

I would be interested to hear what you thought of willamette blake?
-john
soaresjo
Noob

Postby Eric O » Thu May 25, 2006 10:56 am

Dexter in Eugene is a nice course. River Bend at McIver is my favorite course in Oregon, but then I haven't had a chance yet to make it to Whistler's Bend.

If you go to McIver for the first time you may have a hard time finding your way without a map. I think this is the standard course layout here (hole lengths listed from the pro tees):
http://www.beaverstatefling.orsdiscgolf ... eCards.pdf

hole 23: 1187 ft :shock:
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

sweet

Postby soaresjo » Thu May 25, 2006 1:52 pm

sweet thanks for the course suggestions. I am going to plan to hit up River Bend this weekend! plzzzz no rain!

-john
soaresjo
Noob

Postby Eric O » Thu May 25, 2006 3:40 pm

If you are making a weekend out of it, McIver has camping. Also Timber Park is only about a 5 minute drive down the road for another 18 holes, if the 27 at River Bend aren't enough for you.

If you are lucky the 36 hole course from the Beaver State fling this past weeked will still be up at River Bend.
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Next

Return to General Discussion