Best Of Awards

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Best Of Awards

Postby Tim H » Thu May 25, 2006 8:54 am

Blake, a question for you.

I notice is some threads you kind of put down the star plastic, example: Star. Maybe it's the hype more than the plastic. Anyway, I noticed a few star discs on the new best of awards. Just curious as to how you feel about the star plastic and why these discs made the list?

Thanks,
Tim H
Tim H
Noob

Postby presidio hills » Thu May 25, 2006 12:57 pm

well the good thing is...
dx and s plastic win for stable driver, stable midrange, and putter. z wins for overstable driver... that's how it should be.

i agree with all those winners actually... it's the honerable mentions that might be a little off.

it's crazy windy outside, i'm gonna go putt.
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Blake_T » Thu May 25, 2006 7:28 pm

there's several reasons i don't like the plastic and several reasons that i do.

it's a balancing act.

reasons i like it:
it feels nice.
certain models that are too flippy in other plastics fly stable.
it's decently durable.

reasons i don't like it:
if it costs less per pound of plastic, and you can make more discs per hour, shouldn't the discs be cheaper instead of more expensive?
it's nothing really revolutionary (but people seem to believe so) as DGA has had this type of blend for years.
discs that fly stable in other plastics fly overstable in this plastic (read as: it is yet more difficult to throw than champ plastic).
why aren't the signatures on it? no signatures = no royalties.
they put out crap like the star aero and star stingray and neglect discs like the orc and roc except for in CFR versions (i hate the CFR program and its needless gouging).

i end up with the eerie feeling that champ will get discontinued in a year or two and star will take its place with a final price halfway between star and champ (net end = more expensive).

i will agree that star was a work of marketing genius. they did it exactly right. large runs, have it readily available, pump out models, wait to release a new disc in that plastic first until after the plastic has a foothold, etc.
people seem to treat it like the second comings of toilet paper and sliced bread.

in the same way that innova succeeded, discraft blundered. 1 brand new disc so there was no loyalty to the mold to fuel sales (which in turn breeds loyalty to the plastic). their hot disc being released as a CFR disc (avenger). taking way too long to get more discs out in popular models compared to innova's barrage of molds.

btw, as for why i would dislike it in many ways but still vote for a disc in it, it more has to do with avoiding bandwagon and railroad mindsets. if someone says "innova rules, discraft sucks," my general response is "discraft has good discs too." likewise, if someone (usually in MN) says "innova sucks, discraft rules," my general response is "innova has good discs too."
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby bigs348 » Thu May 25, 2006 8:05 pm

Anyone else notice that there was like 3 discs a week coming out the first few months of this year, but there's been nothing now for a month and a half or so. is this cause of touring season maybe?
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Blake_T » Thu May 25, 2006 8:12 pm

actually, the z surge, dx coyote, and esp buzzz are quite new.

as well as latutide 64 and the mirus which i believe just started shipping.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu May 25, 2006 11:40 pm

Blake_T wrote: likewise, if someone (usually in MN) says "innova sucks, discraft rules," my general response is "innova has good discs too."

I think its funny how plastic prefrences are so regional.

out here its definately more of a "innova rules, discraft stinks, gateway makes something other than the wizard?"
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Seriously??

Postby Denver Discer » Fri May 26, 2006 12:07 am

They really make something other than the Qizaed??? ;)
Denver Discer
Tree Magnet

Wow

Postby Denver Discer » Fri May 26, 2006 12:08 am

That and the Wizard???
Denver Discer
Tree Magnet

Postby Thatdirtykid » Fri May 26, 2006 12:46 am

i didnt say everyone in denver :wink: , but you have to admit that getway stuff out here (other than the wizard) is few and far between in peoples bags. Wright life rarely has other stuff in store, and for bc surf or other local suppliers ive never seen them.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Return to Equipment