Eagles Vs Teebirds

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Eagles Vs Teebirds

Postby jgarcia9102 » Sun May 14, 2006 1:17 pm

I have always thought of the eagle as a more stable teebird, but according to every rating system out there, its less high speed stable. now it may be different because mine is CE, but its very overstable. Its actually just as stable if not more stable than my 5 month old champion Firebird of equal weight (gets only 1-3 throws a round).

i dont have the most powerfull arm, but i am able to flip a teebird a high speed, but never the eagle. the eagle does go straight, so im not trying to say its a viper or anything, i would just think that their ratings be reversed.

is the DX eagle that far different from the CE?
jgarcia9102
Tree Magnet

Postby Blake_T » Sun May 14, 2006 3:21 pm

to composite them, a dx eagle would be -1 or -1.5 on the high speed with a +3 on the low speed.

a champion eagle (that is a true E mold and not an EL) will be 0 on the high speed and +3.5 to +4 on the low speed.

however, you shoudln't be able to flip the teebird if you are throwing it correctly. the teebird's real hallmark is that guys with 480'+ power can throw teebirds and they will never flip.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Bradley Walker » Sun May 14, 2006 3:30 pm

The DX Teebird flips into the wind for me.

The Star T-Bird does not, however.

The Star plstic appears to mold more true, so the bead on the Star is actually larger than the DX. It would be nicer if it were the other way around.
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby jgarcia9102 » Sun May 14, 2006 4:56 pm

well i suppose i used the word flip wrong. thrown flat and hard i can make a small S turn, where the eagle wont budge from a straight line untill its starts to fade.

its amazing to me how much variation there is between plastics, and i guess i just never payed attention to it now. i always saw a little difference, but i usually blamed it on it being a broken in disc (ive never bought a new DX disc untill yesterday, ive only had used ones)

to me, thats not even an eagle anymore, at least call it like an eagle X or something. Im surprised not all Champ eagles are made as the EL mold to closer match the DX version.
jgarcia9102
Tree Magnet

Postby Blake_T » Sun May 14, 2006 5:00 pm

runs 1, 2, and 4 of the CE eagles were the first EL's for that reason.

runs 3, and 5-13 were EX.

as for the teebird, now you are at a point where you can throw it with 10 degrees of hyzer and it will go dead straight, be thankful.
Blake_T

Postby jgarcia9102 » Sun May 14, 2006 5:05 pm

Blake_T wrote:as for the teebird, now you are at a point where you can throw it with 10 degrees of hyzer and it will go dead straight, be thankful.

be thankfull for my weak arm, or that the disc is fairly new? haha

it all makes sense to me now. thanks a lot. I learned about the sport well after the CE era, so i dont know much about it. was the TL, FL, etc for the same purpose (if they even had FL, i am probably wrong)?
jgarcia9102
Tree Magnet

Postby Blake_T » Sun May 14, 2006 5:16 pm

runs 1 and 2 of the firebird were the FL. runs 3-5 (run 5 corresponds to run 4 of other champ discs, for some reason leopards and firebirds got an extra run in there ahead of the valk/teebird/eagle) were the FX, which is not the same as the F. i believe runs 6-14 (for the firebird) were all F's, but i'm not 100% certain on this as i didn't own a firebird beyond its 5th run.
Blake_T

Postby Bradley Walker » Tue May 16, 2006 11:31 am

Blake_T wrote:as for the teebird, now you are at a point where you can throw it with 10 degrees of hyzer and it will go dead straight, be thankful.

It is amazing what that little bit of heyser does. Throw with a tick of heyser and it flattens and flies dead straight until the little fade. Throw it flat, and it turns over hard, expecialy into the wind.

It's odd. Not in a bad way. Just odd. That little bit of heyser makes it unflippable. Like if it breaks over the top in a fast turnover, it is gone, but it always remembers the heyser. Cool stuff.
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Blake_T » Tue May 16, 2006 8:15 pm

broken in JLS and X Preds do the same thing.

crank em flat and they flip, touch of hyzer and they are straight.
Blake_T

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue May 16, 2006 8:55 pm

idk, I threw broken in x preds (would like to throw them but dont have any) from a hyzerflip dead straight. my Jls (not Qjls) would flip up and turn and usually come back. (that was a bit longer ago, when I didnt have the same form, so Im probably wrong) the beat up jls made a great anny disc though
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Jwt4412 » Fri May 26, 2006 7:37 am

Let's say I have a 171 Champion Eagle and a 171 Champion T-Bird in my bag...

Which disc for which shots?
Jwt4412
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: DGA D-Line Reef

Postby Blake_T » Fri May 26, 2006 7:46 am

if it is the original mold eagle, there isn't a whole lot of difference except the eagle has more fade.

if it is the newer mold eagle, i don't really know since i haven't really thrown it in the blend of plastic it currently resides in.

heh, funny thing is, a newer champ eagle is like identical in shape to an x tracker.
Blake_T

Postby Thatdirtykid » Fri May 26, 2006 7:46 am

eagle will be great for hyzers, teebird good for headwinds and straight with a predictable finish. you may be able to get better distance out of the eagle.

I geuss the eagle is more versitle and the teebird is more straight.

I dont have too much experience w/ champ teebirds, they were too overstable for me when I had one.

dx eagles and teebirds are a different animal though.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Jwt4412 » Fri May 26, 2006 7:53 am

I have had great success throwing a newer Champ Eagle and a KC Eagle for more overstable shots, but I have this New T-Bird that wants to jump in my bag...

I think I will just stick with my two Eagles for now...

I have been trying to get a Pro Gazelle and a Star TL to compliment my drivers -
Ideally what I would like to have in the bag is

the Champ Eagle
the KC Eagle
a PRO Gazelle - can't believe how hard it has been to trade for one...
and
a Star TL

Then my midranges and putters.

Too much overlap? I really don't have the snap for anything that is more overstable than the KC Eagle.

Just for reference - I can throw a Demon and the demon will do exactly what it is supposed to do. I throw an E Blaze and it becomes a Lawn Dart to the Left... hard.

I just don't thing I have the arm for the overstable stuff, but that said I get a great hyzer and fade to the left behind the obstacle to the pin with the KC Eagle.
Jwt4412
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Jwt4412 » Fri May 26, 2006 8:08 am

One more thing...

I forgot that I have a Eagle at 174 that I have that is new but I have always just assumed it was too heavy for me.

Anyway, it has that little flat lip on it that Blake was talking about on the other Eagle thread.

At 174 with the older design and with my arm that I have described, this would be a good wind driver for me. yes?
Jwt4412
1000 Rated Poster

Next

Return to Equipment