Heres one that may make blake happy

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Heres one that may make blake happy

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed May 24, 2006 10:34 pm

Star Monsters is all that's new. I think we have done Star Firebirds before, but maybe not. Star Coyotes are done. Beasts, Aviars, Eagles, Valyries, Sharks, Wraiths, and Pulsars are running too. Rhynos and BB Aviars are in tomorrow or Friday.

Taken from the ask Dave.d thread on pdga
I bolded the main part.

and I know if they made them in dx again that might be better, especially if they come out like wizards which are less hss than the s counterpart.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby kling » Thu May 25, 2006 3:04 am

Star aviar is to slippy to putt with imo. Doesn't work for me. DX works fine. I might be spoiled with the grip on jk pro aviar though.
Big bead aviars in DX would be great I would buy lots and lots :)
kling
Noob

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu May 25, 2006 9:50 am

everyones been saying that for a while (that bb avairs need to come back)

it seems innova is just making approach discs to compare with wizard hype (goblin)

I dont see how anyone putts with star/champ/z discs, some ok, champ rhynos are rather soft and pretty grippy, but champ avairs, z puttrs, star avairs, they are all really hard and dont grip too well. I like the feel of a broken in putter too, and a star avair will never break in, because all you do it putt with it.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Re: Heres one that may make blake happy

Postby adidadg » Thu May 25, 2006 11:50 am

Thatdirtykid wrote:
Star Monsters is all that's new. I think we have done Star Firebirds before, but maybe not. Star Coyotes are done. Beasts, Aviars, Eagles, Valyries, Sharks, Wraiths, and Pulsars are running too. Rhynos and BB Aviars are in tomorrow or Friday.
quote]

Pulsar? whats that?
adidadg

Postby bigs348 » Thu May 25, 2006 12:38 pm

I just have to chime in really quick to defend my putter of choice: the Star Aviar. I carry two, a blue for approaches and some drives, and an orange strictly for putting.

I like the blue for approaches & short drives because its a little bit slicker and a bit firmer. I basically use it as a shorter Z-Buzzz when I need to stay super straight. It holds a nice tight line, it sits nicely with very little skip or roll, and it drives quite well for medium length holes. Although I prefer my 10x KC Pro for most driving duties, when I don't want any fade or I want a very gradual anhyzer, the Star Aviar it is.

For putting, the orange is the best putter I've used yet in my 4 years of playing DG. It's very soft and very grippy feeling, and I like that its tacky while still being somewhat slick so it comes off my hand nicely without feeling like I'm either sticking or slipping. For my style of putting, a big bead Aviar (as well as the Wizard and the Challenger) are too overstable for me and fade off too much on long putts. The DX Aviar (especially when broken in) turns too much on me and I have trouble keeping a tight line. Being the understable mold in overstable plastic, the Star Aviar is just perfect for me. My orange putting Aviar is definitely broken in, too. Not to the point of changing its flight, but to the point of being softer, a little more pliable, and a little tackier.

I'll agree with you in that I too don't understand how people putt with slick Champ and Z discs, but the Star is a different animal. I find it much grippier, softer, and better in the hand than either KC Aviars or grid-Aviars, with a straighter flight.
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby bigs348 » Thu May 25, 2006 12:38 pm

Oh, and the Pulsar is Innova's ultimate disc. Basically, their answer to Discraft's Ultrastar.
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu May 25, 2006 2:36 pm

I agree star is better than champ/z, and I have seen quite a few people really enjoying the star avairs, and I believe that there are some that are quite soft. DX avair p&a do get understable quite fast (they arent stable new) Im glad they work well for you.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby Blake_T » Thu May 25, 2006 6:44 pm

a return of the dx big bead aviar (especially if it is the old aviar driver mold and not that accursed aviar-x) i would be ecstatic.

the star big bead leaves much to be desired unless they somehow mystically make them ultra firm and have no flashing issues, neither of which is likely.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Weebl » Thu May 25, 2006 11:03 pm

I don't know why people don't try the Aviar-X for driving... It's more stable than any KC I've thrown...
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu May 25, 2006 11:30 pm

theyre good, just still have room for improvement my favs for driving putters is (in order) wizard, challenger, banger, bb avair (have few throws with these but like them), avair x, after that Id rather throw a mid ;-)
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby Blake_T » Fri May 26, 2006 1:58 am

they blunted out the mold for the aviar x from the original big bead aviar. basically, it slowed the flight, made it naturally less stable, reduced glide, and took away some wind stability.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby bigs348 » Fri May 26, 2006 8:23 am

I always thought the Aviar-X seemed a bit different than the other big beads. Kind of a rounder edge, not quite like a Wizard, but not like a KC Aviar either.

As they get beat, the flight plate like sinks in, too, much more than other Aviars. I have two beat-to-hell 4-time JKs and a completely thrashed 3-time all with a sunken flight plate. Usually I like broken in putters, but these have this huge rounded rim and then it just slopes down in the middle -- very awkward to hold.
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Return to Equipment