Short and sweet advice for sidearm

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Short and sweet advice for sidearm

Postby calvarycoffee » Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:53 am

i have started experimenting with sidearm. this is brand spank'n new to me. the most confusing part is how to hold the disc. and on good shots (%30 of the time) i dont remember what i did right.

i'm a pretty good RHBH player. and i would like to get the sidearm up to par (HA!). quick advice?
Do not resist chances. . . and there will be one less thing you cannot do -ACG
calvarycoffee
Tree Magnet

Postby Blake_T » Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:40 am

grip: press the pad/face of the finger against the rim. get as much finger as you can. the disc should dig into the spot where the thumb meets the hand. if your grip is tight enough this will probably be slightly uncomfortable/painful with it digging in while you get used to it.

as for tips:

lead with the elbow. start with a compact motion. emphasize the "flick" with your wrist in the forward direction. stay low and get your weight forward during the finish.

after hearing more about stokely's elbow injury, i will say to ignore the advice from his video #2 and keep your elbow somewhat close to you on nearly every type of shot.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby calvarycoffee » Sat Jul 30, 2005 6:23 am

blake,

thanks for the info. i experienced great improvement while taking your advice. i played a round sidearm yesterday. every release was great. very smooth out of the hand. and solid.

looking forward to fine tuning it!

a ton of thanks!!
Do not resist chances. . . and there will be one less thing you cannot do -ACG
calvarycoffee
Tree Magnet

Postby Blake_T » Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:35 am

good to hear you are getting it down. grip is one of the trickier aspects of throwing sidearm.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Return to Technique