putting with the comet

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

putting with the comet

Postby calvarycoffee » Fri May 26, 2006 12:13 am

my putting style has changed. . .

i used to "granny" putt (go high and let it drop). i guess i was thinking that if i missed, the miss would be a "gimme."

but this spring, i was having terrible luck. so i've changed it to "line-drive" putting. and i put some "umph" into it.

i have improved, i must say. it's taken away having to aim vertically at the basket. i automatically keep the disc the same height on most putts.

i have found that the comet works best for me. almost like a catch disk. it seems to keep the height steady.

missed putts haven't been too far off, also. i guess that was my reason for granny putting - fearing a long 2nd putt.

any words of wisdom, anyone?

i have also noticed that my free arm plays more of role in aiming (balance perhaps?)

dave
Do not resist chances. . . and there will be one less thing you cannot do -ACG
calvarycoffee
Tree Magnet

Postby Thatdirtykid » Fri May 26, 2006 12:45 am

what putters have you tried throwing on more a "line drive"?

My putt is mostly a pitch, and usually dosnt fly much higher than I start it inside 35' (chest high, so 6" above the basket) and Ive had the best results with more stable putters (wizard banger challenger avairx...)
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Blake_T » Fri May 26, 2006 1:55 am

comets will have nasty fly by's on misses.

i dislike pure high loft putts, but putting pure line drive is much more difficult as well.

both types of putts reduce the amount of surface area you can hit as well as the amount you can "miss" with incorrect power. if you putt with no drop at all, you will significantly increase the length of comeback putts on misses.

i've actually found the majority of players do not know how to aim putts correctly. the whole pick a link mentality is such a misrepresentation for any putt outside of like 12'.

there's a fairly simple formula for what kind of aim compensation is required for various lengths and winds.

with no wind, all putts up to around 15' can be line drived, but once you hit around 18' you will start aiming in different spots. i teach people to pick a target line and throw towards the apex, allowing gravity to do the rest.

for most players, a 30' putt will require an apex of around 12-18"" above the top of the basket to hit the meat of the chains on a slight drop. a 45' putt requires more like 3' above the top of the basket. a 20' putt will require more like 2-4" above the top, etc.

tailwinds will come into more play and require more compensation than headwinds. a rule of thumb i use is for every 5mph of tailwind, increase the apex height by about 10" and increase the fade amount by about 4".

hitting the chains with a slight drop basically almost triples the makable surface area for putts as well as gives you ~8' of length you can vary and still go in.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby calvarycoffee » Fri May 26, 2006 4:34 am

dirtykid. . . is that avatar a napolian dynomite (sp?) dance? funny.

since the beginning, i've putted with aviar x's. during my learning i've experimented with birdies, aeros, but have always come back to aviar-x.

i've experimented putting with rocs and gators, also.

line-driving my aviar-x's was like throwing bricks- they dropped early and i would shoot under the basket. (ugh!)

i guess i have the arc timing down on the comet b/c it doesnt fly-by too far on misses.

hehe, sometimes i pretend the basket is a person playing catch. i seem to sink those putts.

dave
calvarycoffee
Tree Magnet

Postby calvarycoffee » Fri May 26, 2006 4:37 am

forgot to add. . .

WIND!!

thats the main reason i changed up to a line-drive putt. the quicker the time between my hand and the basket. . . the less time the wind has to effect the disc.

hehe

dave
calvarycoffee
Tree Magnet

Postby Blake_T » Fri May 26, 2006 7:43 am

your putter experience isn't really extensive enough to have given up on putters.

basically you have used 2 putters that are notorious float discs and then 1 that has notorious dive (most soft plastic putters in stable molds are this way).

any soft putter will have less carry than a firmer version as they are all more low speed overstable. similarly, float putters will be horrible into the wind as they have no will to finish.
Blake_T

Postby Thatdirtykid » Fri May 26, 2006 7:56 am

lol, that accually predates napoleon in the independent theators.

its from an old flash video. you hear a song in a flamboyant voice
"im not gay, im not gay, but I dance around in a gay gay way, im not gay im not gay, but now my songs turned you gay" followed by the text spiderman made you gay.

sad they did this to one of the better superheros when they could have done it to superman or something :shock:

keep in mind I said I got a big kick out of it the first group of times Ive seen it, that was 4 or 5 years ago when I was still in HS
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Ooooo

Postby trogdor » Fri May 26, 2006 4:37 pm

Aiming the line on putts, not the link!!!!

I'm glad I took a look at this thread. This looks to be promising. I drive that way, bowl that way, why not putt that way.

Thanks Blake!
Pred, Wraith, TeeBird, Eagle, Whippet, Cobra, Rhyno, Arrow
trogdor
Tree Magnet

Postby Jwt4412 » Fri May 26, 2006 5:10 pm

Hit from 65 feet out today... aimed 4'6" above and to the right of the basket...

It's magic.
Jwt4412
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: DGA D-Line Reef

Postby calvarycoffee » Fri May 26, 2006 10:56 pm

yeah, it's been 5 years since i've owned a birdie or aero. (i don't remember what happened to them). i do remember the aero having lots of float. (hence the name "aero", hehe)

i do find it tricky to aim well with tall rim discs(putters) nowdays. is the comet a lower profile than other "floaty" putters?

dave
calvarycoffee
Tree Magnet

Postby Pagan » Fri May 26, 2006 11:14 pm

hmnn. I still haven't found a "routine" for my putting. Some rounds I'm dead on, rest I'm just off a bit. I am thinking that it's partially mental block/ Ever see happy gilmore? You suck! You will not make this putt! well I seem to have my own internal imaginary antagonist. Hole 11 hit me again today. I dropped a drive within 20' on the first round and missed the 2 putt. Round two dropped a drive within 30' and missed it again. Granted it's windy today but still.

Blake; got any tips to kill that little bastard booing me in my head? Ok tips OTHER than carrying my bottle of scotch with me? LOL

Afterthought. I find that more of my putts go in when I lean forward a lot, my left leg (as I am a righty) swings upwards making me look like a messed up ballerina dancer. In fact on all the putts that go in like this I feel completely balanced and relaxed. My foot doesnt' even come back down till the putter is in the chains (or basket) and I close my gaping jaw. Dunno it's wierd. I have made a few of those "hellwithit it's worth a run!" approaches from long distances. I don't like to call those putts though as they feel more like an approach. Putts to me seem to be a light smooth slow motion. But maybee that's my problem???

HELP!
Pagan
Wizard, Roc, Teebird, Wraith
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Addicted since October of '05
Pagan
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby Thatdirtykid » Fri May 26, 2006 11:47 pm

i have been having simiar problems (both of them)

to help with the mental state, I take a deep breath and then stop listening to the people around me, see the line, remind myself ive made this put plenty of times.

thats the most of it, im probably leaving something out like not paying attention to ob and if you have to plan a line that better suits the situation (lob putt) and same routine, dont think about the ob still.

and also my balance issue, when i get lazy, distracted or am tired my putts are usually right on line, but low. Theyre low because I didnt use my body how I usually do, it was just arm, that extra foot the body gives you helps keep you hit solid.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby Pagan » Sat May 27, 2006 12:06 am

[quote="Thatdirtykid"
and also my balance issue, when i get lazy, distracted or am tired my putts are usually right on line, but low. Theyre low because I didnt use my body how I usually do, it was just arm, that extra foot the body gives you helps keep you hit solid.[/quote]

Ahhh that's true and I hadn't really considered that. I do tend to miss low. My wife always gives me shit. When I lean over and do my ballerina thing that IS actually closing the distance more... I tend to miss low. Boink off the basket. Headricks are rare for me unless it's super windy or downhill.

Thanks Kid!
Wizard, Roc, Teebird, Wraith
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Addicted since October of '05
Pagan
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sat May 27, 2006 12:15 am

of course I didnt think of my form when my putting went bad today, when the first couple ended up short i figured I just wasnt throwing hard enough, even though I was throwing just how I do on my on days :?
making that mistake once is bad enough, but then figuring out the problem then forgetting it is another... :oops:
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby Blake_T » Sat May 27, 2006 10:16 am

the comet is lower profile than those and therefore will lead to even longer fly bys.
it's also understable, so will still suffer from wind.

got any tips to kill that little bastard booing me in my head?

people ask this a lot and the key is to be stronger mentally :P
most people focus wrong when they putt. they try to make the putt. what you need to do is pick where you will aim before you even step up to the marker and then focus on executing your putting technique. i know what a good putt feels like so my goal is therefore to achieve the good putt feel. i know based on how the putt feels coming out and what my hand looks like when the putt leaves whether or not the putt is in.

there is no make or miss, only execute or failure to execute.
Blake_T

Next

Return to Equipment