Maximizing the hit (grip?)

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Maximizing the hit (grip?)

Postby shanest » Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:41 pm

My technique is fundamentally sound and my game has been improving steadily for awhile now to where I am straddling the border between Am1 and Pro. However, I've never been able to throw as far as my buddies even though my technique is generally better. (I'm not looking for or talking about field distance; I want golf shot distance.) All I can think of is that I'm just not getting everything on to the disc on the hit. Somehow, all my energy isn't being transferred to the disc.

What do you think is the issue here? I was curious about my grip. I believe it is a fork grip: the pads of my index and pinky fingers are on the rim while my middle and ring pads are more on the flight plate. Talking to some bigger arms at Worlds this past week, I was thinking about working on a curled power grip. Is this even an issue worth addressing?

What do I need to do to really put my disc out far on the hit?
shanest
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:28 pm

basically,

you want to a) accelerate into the hit with the disc and hand as one unit (if they behave much as two, you will transfer less force into the rim during the rip).
b) have the strongest rip point as possible. if you use the fan grip then your rip point is the mid knuckle on the middle finger. pick a grip and focus on strength within that grip.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby shanest » Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:29 pm

I've used the same grip for my entire dg career and use it for all drives and upshots. No need in changing it?
shanest
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:35 pm

if you can get a strong rip point, it shouldn't make much of a difference. if the rip point is weak, then you may think about changing it. it's often easiest to just make your current grip stronger.

i'm guessing the d cap is more timing/snap related.
Blake_T

Postby shanest » Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:37 pm

Somehow I get a callous on the end of my middle finger (making me think that's where the disc rips) even though my index finger should be the rip point since it's on the rim.

How would I go about working on my snap?

(Timing is something I've already been through)
shanest
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:43 pm

if you are using a fan, the strongest point should be on the middle finger as the spacing of the joints make the index finger much weaker with that grip.

it is timing during extension in conjunction with leading it into the finish, which requires the grip strength. my article coming out soon should explain that.

btw, i sent you a pm
Blake_T

Postby shanest » Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:51 pm

My grip is a fork. My index and pinky fingers are both pressed onto the shoulder of the rim while my middle and ring fingers press into the flight plate (the ring really presses on to the pinky).
Looking forward to the article.
Is it acceleration that makes so many players throws look so effortless? It's not like my form is total flailing or anything, but I still do feel like I throw farther if I try harder and throw with more force. If I do a slow run up, etc. when should my reach back occur and when should my acceleration begin? Where does hip rotation time into this?
shanest
Noob

Return to Technique