ACID'S DYE TUTORIAL!!!

Disc Artwork, Dying, Technique etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby k-os » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:41 pm

What's this transfer tape you guys are referring to, and how do you use it?
k-os
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: FLX Buzzz

Postby stoneman » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:57 pm

I assumed he was talking about the contact paper...that's all I've used so far. Still looking for a place to scam some free or uber cheap vinyl with adhesive back. I know a guy that knows a sign guy....
stoneman
Fairway Surgeon

Postby k-os » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:26 pm

Ah alright. The last few dyes I've done, I have used some Vinyl (Oracle 651 I believe) that I got from a sign company where I live. The first few discs had some bad cut marks in them, one of them because I cut out sections of the dye and it left cut marks across the dye area (will never do that again). Now they're not very noticeable. I'm sure an average player wouldn't notice them, but I know they're there. Does anyone here cut the really intricate designs out before putting on the disc, or is this just way too much trouble than it's worth?
k-os
Tree Magnet

Postby some call me...tim? » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:08 pm

Transfer tape is basically like a fat roll of masking tape. Same stuff they use with decals that are shaped/have multiple pieces to them (like Huk Lab stickers). Its sticky, but not as sticky as vinyl so you can cut out your design on the vinyl, away from the disc, pick it up in one piece with the transfer tape, stick it on the disc and pull the transfer tape away. Its another thing you can pick up from a sign shop.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby AciDBatH666 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:12 am

ChUcK wrote:Nice job teaching people to cut the design on the disc. I always think it's good to encourage others to scratch the hell out of their discs.

I answered your PM before I saw your post here. Was too busy to really look at the new posts when I got home from work to check it out.

Whatever works for you, do it.
I personally like doing it on the disc because it's quite obvious what's going to fit on the disc and what's not.
I wrote this how-to to help explain the steps that "I" take to dye a disc. Read the first main paragraph. I dont claim that it's the right way, or the only way.

You dont like it, no biggie. Do it your way if it works for you.
I got the suggestion to cut it on the disc here on the forums. I wrote up this how-to because I was getting 2-3 emails a day, + several PMs every few days on the forums asking how to do this and that. So I just wrote a step by step on what "I" do.
If you really think it's that bad, feel free to make your own how-to mr "2 posts ChUcK". I didn't write it for self glory or anything, just to help ppl out because I dont plan on doing this for my own personal profit or for my own personal business. I just wanna help ppl to learn to do it themselves.
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Flat Top Roc

Postby Roy » Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:31 am

I cut out my designs on oracle and transfer paper. peel off the backing of the vinyl and apply. I usuall cut on an aquarium with a light under it so I can trace my designs.
Roy
Colonel Cleavage

Postby k-os » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:46 am

I use this template I made when I make stencils so I know that they'll fit.

Template
k-os
Tree Magnet

Postby ghostride tha QJ! » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:18 pm

ChUcK wrote:Nice job teaching people to cut the design on the disc. I always think it's good to encourage others to scratch the hell out of their discs.

I've had luck both ways and have found that the cut-on-disc technique works better for small stuff and application-after-cut works better for larger, simple designs. In fact, as long as you don't get heavy-handed baboon style and mash the blade into the disc then you can get away with little to no scratches at all. Patience and a light hand is the key.

On another note, I really like the application of dye technique you outline Acidbath. I've had plenty of luck making a thick paste and applying it to the top but I always had to use too much dye to get the consistency right. I'll try this method soon and share my results.
ghostride tha QJ!
Noob

Postby ferretdance03 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:38 pm

AciDBatH666 wrote:...If you really think it's that bad, feel free to make your own how-to mr "2 posts ChUcK"...

Not that his post was all that polite, but I think ChUcK knows his stuff. Check out the ODSA boards.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: glow wizard

Postby AciDBatH666 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:45 pm

Ive seen his work.
it's pretty sick... I really like pretty much all the stuff I've seen.
It's just kind of a dick statement to say it's the wrong way to do it and "Great way to teach ppl to ruin their discs" when it's a technique that a lot of ppl use.
When in the first paragraph I state that you can do it whatever way that works for you.
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Postby mgoofy24 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:25 pm

AciDBatH666 wrote:Ive seen his work.
it's pretty sick... I really like pretty much all the stuff I've seen.
It's just kind of a dick statement to say it's the wrong way to do it and "Great way to teach ppl to ruin their discs" when it's a technique that a lot of ppl use.
When in the first paragraph I state that you can do it whatever way that works for you.

Agreed.

AcID, I can't wait to have time to trying dying some discs... stupid law school eats my life away. I swear that my first dyes are going to be Latin sayings... "stare decisis" or "quid pro quo." Hahaha, thinking about it, I think I might just do quid pro quo...
mgoofy24
Tree Magnet

Postby kvanorsdel » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:44 pm

Anybody tried using laundry soap instead of Acetone? I remember reading something Dr Dye wrote a couple years ago that implied that was what he used. Just wondering if that was true or at least worked? If it is acetone that leads the coloring to bleed over time this may help extend the dyes lifespan.
kvanorsdel
Fairway Surgeon

Postby AciDBatH666 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:50 pm

I don't use any acetone and they still bleed.
Maybe one day I'll throw some liquid soap in the mix and see what I come up with. I believe i read somewhere, prolly here on DGR that it'll give you more vibrant colors. Isopropanal (sp?) also does other weird stuff that I haven't tried yet
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Postby ChUcK » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:40 pm

I think I heard somewhere that vinegar makes colors more vibrant, but I never experimented with it.

I don't think there's anything you can do to stop dye bleeding through the plastic.
The only thing that comes to mind is "Take a picture- it'll last longer!"
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: all of 'em.

Postby pointdisc » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:50 pm

My method is boil water, add dye & stir, let cool to luke warm and let it float.

Acid, a tip if I may. Use multiple pans for multiple colors. In case you don't clean them well between uses. I have two one for darks and one for light colors.

pd
Rhyno - Element X - Eagle - Firebird - SOLF - QOLS
CLICK HEREto sign up for instant DGR karma!!!
pointdisc
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Eagle-X

PreviousNext

Return to Disc Artwork