First run buzz vs. newer runs

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

First run buzz vs. newer runs

Postby twmccoy » Wed May 31, 2006 10:38 pm

Why does everyone seem to think first run buzzes are so much better than later runs? I've thrown several buzzes and to me they flew the same regardless of run. I see them for sale and the first runs always fetch more. Is it a mental thing or something? I also feel the same way about the old CE plastic. People think todays champion plastic is not as good, but I disagree.

It seems like a disc being rare or old are hot selling points today regardless if the disc is actually any good.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby Blake_T » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:19 am

the first run buzz's were slightly flatter but not by enough to shell out $50 vs. $12.

i believe a lot of people want to blame the disc rather than the throw for why it goes awry.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby jgarcia9102 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:07 am

Id say its mainly a mental thing. I threw a first run MRV for a while, i loved that disc. i retired it after a while, and one day i thought about trying out a new one. I just didnt like it. I know its not the best disc ever, but i did things with my first run i just couldnt do with the newer one. its not that the disc was all that different, it was just that the first run had this magic to it.

people get used to one thing, and are afraid of trying anything else. for me, there was this mental game going on that i just couldnt get the new MRV to do what my 1st run had. im sure that if i put the time into it, i could, and they probably werent different at all, but i would much rather throw my first run than a new X MRV.

that might not make much sense, but that was the case with me...
jgarcia9102
Tree Magnet

Postby Blake_T » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:53 am

the other thing is that most people throw a first run for like a year, lose it, get a new one and expect it to fly exactly the same as their one that had been thrown for a year... they don't realize just how much discs break in.

w/ a first run mrv vs. x mrv, they changed plastic blends when they went from elite pro to elite x.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby the invisible tree » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:55 pm

Blake_T wrote:the first run buzz's were slightly flatter but not by enough to shell out $50 vs. $12.

i believe a lot of people want to blame the disc rather than the throw for why it goes awry.

Someone thought enough of a first run buzz to break into my fathers truck and steal it during the award ceremony at the first (and only) tournament I played back in Feb. They left the other 15 odd discs. It was a found disc and pretty much the first disc that I had thrown that I could make do what I wanted. I was really angry at the time but it subsided a bit after the new z buzz that I bought performed almost identically. Now I throw a flat top d wasp, which is a better disc anyway. :idea:
the invisible tree
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: eagle

Return to Equipment