Gateway Magic

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby dgdave » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:30 pm

for a lot of people hating on Gateway, Their discs sure have been getting a lot of talk.
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby Jwt4412 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:33 pm

Sometimes when there is alot of talk it is some guy just walking the streets who memorized the phonebook and keeps repeating out loud... and sometimes it isn't...
Jwt4412
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: DGA D-Line Reef

Postby dgdave » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:10 pm

That's freakin funny!!! :lol:
-dgdave

dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Postby JR » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:25 am

Furthur wrote:
JR wrote:
jamsisjams wrote:I've never thrown an '86 Softie but I've seen them around. Do these compare to the Whitler, by any chance?

Not really. Softies don't retain height at speeds where Whitler keeps on cruising on a straight line. Even when initially broken in a Softie fades more.

The '86 is an old school putter. While not as overstable as the wizard (magnet, aviar, pretty much anything now a days), it does drop. It does have more glide though, so it's good for floaty type shots.

The Whittler really reminds me of a freestyle disc. I can throw big air bounces with it, and really put it on a rope inside of 100'.

Whitler has way more float than the softie and isn't that far behind in wind handling. Meaning neither likes winds. For long put range both the Softie and te Whitler have straight flights. It's just that Whitler does it in 3d and for longer. Both have a bit of fade under like 70' or so feet and then fly fadless. Whitler is way better at not moving in altitude until very much later in the flight. For short work Whitler is much better without the fade of the Softie even though the Whitler fades some. Softie is less LSS than Aviars, Warlocks and especially Wizards.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby dgdave » Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:58 pm

Got 2 magics in today, Thanks Rusco. Got 1 glo 1 proto black.

I got about 15 minutes in on some putts, jump putts, and some 100' or so approaches. Different than I had thought. Not a straight drop like I had hopped. It feels beefy in the hand to me. Kinda shaped like an APX if I recall correctly. I'm not a fan of beadless putter due to comfort issues, but this one feels pretty good.

Not as glidey as I had thought it would be for puts and jump puts. I did like it for soft turning up shots and real straight ups. Still a bit more lss than I wanted. Hopefully with some seasoning it will lose that lss and keep about the same hss.

All in all, I like it, but its different than what I had anticipated. Its going in the bag for further testing.
-dgdave

dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Postby dgdave » Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:13 pm

Oh yeah, nothing like a 86 or whitler that was mentioned on the PDGA board by Smokey.
-dgdave

dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Postby scoot_er » Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:23 pm

dgdave wrote:Oh yeah, nothing like a 86 or whitler that was mentioned on the PDGA board by Smokey.

McCabe beat me in a Gateway putting contest for $100 in entries with a Magic. We were both canning them but I finally missed the 5th putt in our Ring of fire shootoff.
scoot_er
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Beat Roc » Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:46 pm

I putted with the 86 softie for years and its quite a different disc. Responds well to touch shots, floating anhyzers, and flip to flat dead straight. This disc was a evolution from the lid to the 71 mold to this small diameter putter. Also a great drop putter.

I transitioned to the z puttr some time ago because of some overlap in flight characteristics.

cheers, mmm
Beat Roc
Tree Magnet

Postby sleepy » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:07 pm

dgdave wrote:Still a bit more lss than I wanted. Hopefully with some seasoning it will lose that lss and keep about the same hss.

That was my initial impression of the Warlock too. Do you think the Magic will at least beat up to be less LSS than the Warlock? I have more than enough Warlocks, and if the Magic isn't noticeably more understable, it probably isn't worth it for me to buy one...I'll just beat the snot out of a Warlock. ;)

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby dgdave » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:17 pm

Definately less than a warlock. I dont have much time with the warlock cause it was just uncomfortable in my hand. The warlock wasn't that much different than a wiz to me. it will hold a turn over to the ground. When thrown straight it still went left. That on putts, jump puts, and some 100' shots
-dgdave

dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Postby sleepy » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:37 pm

dgdave wrote:The warlock wasn't that much different than a wiz to me. it will hold a turn over to the ground. When thrown straight it still went left. That on putts, jump puts, and some 100' shots

I concur.

Well, since I've already got the Warlock, I'll just beat one half to death and then if it still doesn't satisfy I'll try the Magic.

Keep us posted on your testing, dave! :P

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby BLURR » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:41 am

Well...I've had a little more field testing with the magic now. This thing is all about control. When throwing approaches from 100 ft, this thing is dead straight. The funny thing is, it doesn't take too much power to make it go straight. I would say I am throwing about 30-40% with a fan grip and it is all good. I've onely had the chance to try out a full short range drive. It had a nice slow right turn to it. I am still testing, but this one should make it permanently into the bag.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Postby Jwt4412 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:49 am

I am always curious when somebody says a new disc makes it into the bag... I always want to know what disc came out?
Jwt4412
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: DGA D-Line Reef

Postby latitude » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:54 am

Jwt4412 wrote:I am always curious when somebody says a new disc makes it into the bag... I always want to know what disc came out?

Broken in Blurr maybe? :lol:
latitude
Fairway Surgeon

Postby BLURR » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:05 am

Jwt4412 wrote:I am always curious when somebody says a new disc makes it into the bag... I always want to know what disc came out?

Well...I had a spot open up in my bag when I finally aced with my thrashed firm wizard. So, I have been on the hunt for a turn over warlock or wizard, but this disc will do the trick.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment