Disc family portrait

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:29 am

BenKrishman wrote:I scaled the pic down a bit smaller than I expected, hopefully the text is readable.

on my monitor, the text is very legible. Good bag, not much there that you dont need (but there is a little). Its not often that i come across a bag with destroyers in it that doesnt have wraiths, orcs and a couple ither fast d drivers in it.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Re: Disc family portrait

Postby ornithoid » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:37 am

Donkeypuncher wrote:I'm also wondering what colors you guys prefer, and especially what your tie-dyed discs look like. I'm trying to build up a collection of all orange, but any bright disc I will usually scoop up. Orange just seems to be available in every mold so I'm sticking with it.

I don't have any tie-dyed discs at this point, really. Maybe a few in old stacks, but not the current stuff where they really have developed the art of it.

But since you asked, I find that I don't care for those ones like in your second row, the first, second and third discs. They remind me of ... cupcakes or something. All drippy and gooey like.

-ornithoid
"O! To ride the wind... to tread the air above the din!"
ornithoid
Noob

Postby ornithoid » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:39 am

BenKrishman wrote:I scaled the pic down a bit smaller than I expected, hopefully the text is readable.

Black aviars are thrown off the tee, orange ones are used to putt, and the pink one I use for turnover shots or when I'm worried about losing a black one. :P

Before long I'm going to take the xpress out and put 2 star teebirds in, using the DX for turnover shots. I also plan on replacing my FLX predator with(hopefully) another Z identical to my current one. I like to keep my discs color coded. I can tell if I'm missing a disc from my bag very easily.

I don't color-code my discs, myself, but I can see how that would be a cool plan.

I was wondering how/why all your discs have no top stamp. Did you remove the stamps yourself? And if you did, is it thorough? And if so, how did you accomplish it? Thanks.
"O! To ride the wind... to tread the air above the din!"
ornithoid
Noob

Postby BenKrishman » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:31 am

Thatdirtykid wrote:

on my monitor, the text is very legible. Good bag, not much there that you dont need (but there is a little). Its not often that i come across a bag with destroyers in it that doesnt have wraiths, orcs and a couple ither fast d drivers in it.

Yeah, I probably have some overlap in the putters, but I'm okay with it. The black putters are my driving putter 99% of the time, and I really don't want to lose one so thats when the pink one comes in(or if I want to throw flat and have it track right a touch). The demon kind of does the same thing, it's shorter than the roc, but I could cover any demon shot with a roc or aviar, I'm just willing to lose the demon. I'm not even sure if I'm going to keep the destroyers in my bag. I don't think I have enough speed for them,or I might not be keeping the nose down on them. If I can't learn to throw them better in the next couple months I'll probably start to audition new max d drivers.

And I take all of the stamps off because I like the look of a blank disc. I just think discs look better clean. When I have a disc with a stamp on it I'm often lining the stamp up with my grip before I throw, so I take them off to also help me focus on the shot, and not the stamp when step up to the tee. To take the stamps off I used acetone. In th right light you can still see some of the stamps, especially on the destroyers because they are star stamps. The blue Z pred turned out really cool though, you can very fainly see the stamp still, it looks like it's a ghost stamped disc. The DX rocs and DX aviars are bottomstamped, all the others have been removed by me.
BenKrishman
Tree Magnet

Postby rehder » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:31 pm

This is my tourney bag. In normal play I usually carry some extra discs (4-6) to beat in and throw secondary practice shots with

I realize there is some overlap, but its intentional.

Preds for overstable duty
Wraiths for max distance and heavy fade
Orion's for controlled long distance and big annies
Leopards for fairway driver spot
Rocs (any medium range) 174-180
Wizard (wind safe driving putter)
Spike (Especially in gripline plastic this reminds me of a beat cyclone. Very versatile. Can be used for very straight shots if you dont overpower it. If you give it some gas and throw it with only a little hyzer it will go right. But it can also fly hyzer, you just need to give it a bunch of hyzer)
Z-Pred, Z-Force, Destroyer, (M,S,Q)OLF, Roc, Wizard&VP
rehder
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Donkeypuncher » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:35 pm

ornithoid wrote:I don't color-code my discs, myself, but I can see how that would be a cool plan.

I was wondering how/why all your discs have no top stamp. Did you remove the stamps yourself? And if you did, is it thorough? And if so, how did you accomplish it? Thanks.

Not sure why he does it, but I think discs look much nicer without a stamp. And people will always ask what it is, so you can really mess with their heads.

I use 100% acetone nail polish remover for removal. I just soak the tip of a rag and wipe it off. The stamp can smudge and leave a swipe mark if you don't do it fast enough, so I soak the rag really nice and romove it in a circular motion as fast as possible, then use the opposite side of the rag to avoid the ink on the rag from leaving marks.
200, and 40 dollars......a worth a puddin'
Donkeypuncher
1000 Rated Poster

Postby sleepy » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:01 pm

Donkeypuncher wrote:I use 100% acetone nail polish remover for removal

Is this the regular available-at-every-drugstore nail polish remover, or is the 100% acetone stuff found only at hardware stores with the paint thinner, etc?

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Donkeypuncher » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:11 pm

I got mine at walmart in the womans makeup section. You should be able to find it at any drug store or grocery store, usually you have to be 18 to buy it for some reason.
Donkeypuncher
1000 Rated Poster

Postby sleepy » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:20 pm

Thanks! I'll pick some up on the way home. I've got a 1st run Warlock and the stamp (not the Dancing Bears, but the current Rasta-Man stamp) is about double the size of the current runs, and my thumb hits it when I'm rotating the disc during my pre-putt routine...but not for long! :P

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby adidadg » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:31 pm

sleepy wrote:Thanks! I'll pick some up on the way home. I've got a 1st run Warlock and the stamp (not the Dancing Bears, but the current Rasta-Man stamp) is about double the size of the current runs, and my thumb hits it when I'm rotating the disc during my pre-putt routine...but not for long! :P

sleepy

I have a wizard for which the stamp WILL NOT come off with regular nail polish remover, and its worked just fine for removing other stamps.

Not sure if its true for other gateway discs.
adidadg

Postby Thatdirtykid » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:58 pm

i get my acetone at ace its like 10$ for a half gallon.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby jorr16 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:07 pm

adidadg wrote:
sleepy wrote:Thanks! I'll pick some up on the way home. I've got a 1st run Warlock and the stamp (not the Dancing Bears, but the current Rasta-Man stamp) is about double the size of the current runs, and my thumb hits it when I'm rotating the disc during my pre-putt routine...but not for long! :P

sleepy

I have a wizard for which the stamp WILL NOT come off with regular nail polish remover, and its worked just fine for removing other stamps.

Not sure if its true for other gateway discs.

Thats cause most gateway stamps are the embossed type (I think) where the stamp is more pushed into the disc. Both Innova and Discraft are the foil types where acetone will take them off easily.
Good luck on that warlock. I too have wizards where I can't get the stamps off and the warlock stamp is a lot bigger/intricate.
When walking up to tee
Strive to be bogey free

Discs for Trade/Sale
http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/vi ... php?t=3395
jorr16
Tree Magnet

Postby Donkeypuncher » Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:42 pm

Yeah, some of those gateway stamps are near impossible to get off. They are pressed down into the disc so there will still be an indention after the stamp itself comes off.

Acetone will start to eat supersoft plastics if you leave it on too long and rub it, but the harder plastics don't seem to.
Donkeypuncher
1000 Rated Poster

Postby sleepy » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:41 pm

Acetone from Walgreen's...$3.00 for 16oz. Thanks for the tip, TDK...I'll def. check out Ace next time! :?

As for the Warlock, you're both right in that the disc is definitely embossed during the stamping process. The color and foil came off easily and completely, but there are still large ridges where the stamp once was...the ridges are deep enough that the design is still visible if you tilt the disc on an angle. Someone at the shop can definitely back off the pressure on the stamp machine! :P

Oh well. Nothing a little 80 grit won't cure! ;)

sleepy

sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby TannerBoyle » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:40 am

rehder wrote:This is my tourney bag. In normal play I usually carry some extra discs (4-6) to beat in and throw secondary practice shots with

You ever lose your bag if you walk away from it?
Throwing seven different kinds of smoke since 2006.
Gramps and Cramps '08
TannerBoyle
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Star Wraith

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion