Question about enforcing the rules

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Question about enforcing the rules

Postby coogs » Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:58 am

I have been reading the PDGA message boards for quite some time and I've seen a common theme crop up whenever the subject of enforcing rules is brought up: avoidance of conflict. What's the deal with that?

This may or may not apply to you, so please don't take this personally; this is a question that has me really confused. During tournaments and such, most of the rule enforcement is up to the players in the group to either call the player on an infraction, or bring it up to the TD. Knowing this, why do I see so many people post that they'd rather let the perpetrator get away with the problem so that they don't have to get into a conflict with the perpetrator? If they break the rules, why should anyone else care about creating conflict? If they weren't breaking the rules, you wouldn't have to call them on it in the first place.

Lastly, I've also read posts that say people break out car windows or tell others that they'll seriously **** up another person if they continue to call them on the rules. How common is that? Is there some rogue gang of disc golfers that goes on tours intimidating everyone else? I just never assumed a problem such as this was present in this sport.
coogs
Tree Magnet

Postby Rooster » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:11 am

in the tourney's i play i have never had a problem with people getting upset about rule breaking. little stuff mostly, not marking your disc, the 2m. rule. the only rule i've sen an argument about is OB. seems like everyone cuts everyone some slack and i think it's better that way.
Rooster
Fairway Surgeon

Postby cschwab » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:14 am

Most times when I see someone do something like tossing their disc back to there bag I'll just give them a heads up and warn them about it. Only once have I actually called someone for a violation. They were straddle putting with their feet on each side of the mini and didn't like it when I said something.
cschwab
Noob

Postby jHarr » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:57 am

seems its all about developing good habits like carefully marking your lie and placing your foot or knee behind it then not chuckin yer disc back to yer bag etc... in casual rounds with someone I don't know I keep it not confrontational but say something like "you know someone could call you on that in a tournament..."

the one I've seen most lately is moving a stick or branch that extends in front of your lie which you're not supposed to move...

agreed that finding a disc OB on a blind shot does mean some group consultation to estimate fairly the goin out point which may result in a spot that's perhaps better than what really happened (like not demanding that a guy throws from pinched behind a tree... however if you can see that's what happened I think you're compelled to enforce the proper spot)

had a buddy call me for steppin on my mini in a bagtag playoff hole and replay it with a different putter- it was all good 'cuz it was a bad habit of mine to crowd my mini and it could have been called at a much worse time... btw I made the putt

rules are rules and you're doing somebody a disservice if you don't tell them and they think they're doin the right thing
jHarr
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:08 pm

there is a reverse problem that sometimes occurs amongst upper level players in adv and pro. often on the top cards where there is a lot at stake, a player will make a call and someone else in the group will second it, even if they didn't see it happen just to get a stroke or force a rethrow.

one of the more common stance violations i've seen called have actually been legal stances, e.g. making contact with an object completely behind the stance or a straddle with the other foot "beyond" the mini, but still along the circular plane no closer to the basket.

i would say in lower divisions that most rules infractions are out of ignorance. i'll tell someone "that is illegal. i'm not going to call an infraction as long as you make an effort to stop doing it." if i see someone holding a branch out of the way i will try to tell them that is illegal BEFORE they throw rather than after.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Return to General Discussion