What happened to Stokely?

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

What happened to Stokely?

Postby coogs » Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:37 pm

Scott's videos were the first ones I ever saw regarding disc golf so his name was instantly emblazened into my brain. Considering how well he performed, where'd the guy go? Retire?
coogs
Tree Magnet

Wheres Stokely?

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:55 pm

Ive wondered this myself also. He was out of Colorado when I started playing, and I havent seen his name anywhere lately other than in refrence to his videos past achievements ect.

and of course his site http://www.scottstokely.com/ isnt any help being as out dated as it is :?
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Re: Wheres Stokely?

Postby coogs » Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:05 pm

Thatdirtykid wrote:
and of course his site http://www.scottstokely.com/ isnt any help being as out dated as it is :?

Yeah, that place hasn't been updated in three years. Honestly, I was really looking forward to his third video after I saw the first two. Guess I'll continue waiting :( .
coogs
Tree Magnet

Postby Blake_T » Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:48 pm

scott blew out his elbow throwing a sidearm at 2001 worlds... and then proceded to take about 50 ibuprofin and continue playing.

the injury is ~20 month heal process and he tried to return after like 10 months and again after 12 months.

last i had heard he is doing a different career than disc and his elbow is shot (needs surgery).
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:19 pm

Blake_T wrote:scott blew out his elbow throwing a sidearm at 2001 worlds... and then proceded to take about 50 ibuprofin and continue playing.

the injury is ~20 month heal process and he tried to return after like 10 months and again after 12 months.

last i had heard he is doing a different career than disc and his elbow is shot (needs surgery).

Wow, I cant blame him for starting before healing, Ive done this many times (different sports) but finishing the day is something I wouldnt do, I would consider playing lefty (which would get me nowhere I can only throw about 150' lefty) before drugging myself up knowing it would only make the problem worse.

Hopefully he can make it back into the scene in some aspect of the sport, that would be aswome.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby presidio hills » Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:14 am

my impression is that he threw a lot of sidearms and valued having a plethora of shots in the bag... definitely something i respect.
wasn't there something about his sidearm technique that can create strain... i think i remember blake giving a warning about the stokely sidearm method.
too bad to see the guy go down. who knows, maybe someday the grandmasters will call his name and he'll be healed by then.
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby redspexxx » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:48 am

i tried to order his first video from his website, thedstore.com, and they said they were out. i had already paid so they said they would refund my purchase. i have yet to recieve my refund, and i ordered the video at the end of march...
redspexxx
Fairway Surgeon

Postby coogs » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:22 am

Blake_T wrote:scott blew out his elbow throwing a sidearm at 2001 worlds... and then proceded to take about 50 ibuprofin and continue playing.

You know what sucks? If he were a pro football player there'd be stories told of how tough and brave he was. Unfortunately, in this sport, something like that causes you to just fall off the map.
coogs
Tree Magnet

Postby Bradley Walker » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:55 am

Blake_T wrote:scott blew out his elbow throwing a sidearm at 2001 worlds... .

I completely seperated my biceps throwing backhand. I can now throw further than I EVER could.

I will not throw forehand at all. I cringe when I watch others do it.
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Blake_T » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:52 am

thedstore is filled by a distribution house. i suggest you call them and request a refund.

all 3 of his videos are out on dvd now.

btw, i believe that the reason that he has "fallen off the map" is not so much that players that knew him do not remember him, but more that:

1) only tournament/serious players really saw him throw a lot, and they make up less than 1% of disc golfers.
2) so many players that play now started after he injured his arm.
Blake_T

Postby coogs » Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:28 pm

Blake, I've looked for his third video but have had zero luck. Who distributes the DVD?
coogs
Tree Magnet

Postby Blake_T » Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:29 pm

breiner industries.

they were just released like a week ago. GGGT has them but might not be on the site yet
Blake_T

Postby the invisible tree » Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:51 pm

Bradley Walker wrote:
Blake_T wrote:scott blew out his elbow throwing a sidearm at 2001 worlds... .

I completely seperated my biceps throwing backhand. I can now throw further than I EVER could.

I will not throw forehand at all. I cringe when I watch others do it.

How much further? Maybe I should try that too. W/r/t forehand throws, I don't believe that a short sidearm flick causes too much stress. I finally figured out that I don't really need more than about 200-220' of sidearm distance to make those right breaking holes and approaches much simpler. Now that I've given up trying to get any distance and keep my elbow pinned to my side, I don't feel any of the pain in my elbow that I used to get when trying to really heave them out there. This is purely an estimation, but I would say that my weak ass 200' sidearm has shaved at least 4 strokes off my average round at my home course. YMMV.
the invisible tree
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: eagle

Return to General Discussion