Tuning

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Tuning

Postby dgdave » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:51 pm

When tuning a disc, do you do a quick bend or a slower, kinda holding the bend, bend?

I know Dave D said to fix a DX disc after a tree hit, its better to do a quick and abrupt bend to get it back to its original shape. A slower bend will tend to unbend. A tree hit is quick and that's why it holds that bend.
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby wdb4th » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:53 pm

Slowly, i think
Throw Quest AT!

Bullard Disc Golf Design
wdb4th
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beat Proto Magic

Postby Fritz » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:13 pm

I don't hit trees ;)

I'd say slowly because you dont' want to over compensate by bending the other direction too far.
Anytime I get a disc like that, I turn and bend turn and bend at a medium pace.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby dgdave » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:16 pm

At a medium pace!! :lol: Adam Sandler is funny. Especially in middle school
-dgdave

dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Postby matchu » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:17 pm

sounds like a test is in order... interesting question as I know I have over tuned a disc before, it was not ruined by any means just not wind friendly at all after the tuning.
Synchronize the why’s, the if’s the lies. Shake and sift through the mess. Digress the flesh left is our disguise.

matchu
matchu
Fairway Surgeon

Postby jamsisjams » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:24 pm

Bending the disc upwards does...?

Bending the disc downwards does...?

Has anyone tried to tune the wing differently than the flightplate? i.e. give the flightplate a big ol' dome but make the wings point severely down/up?
Tsunami-SOLF--JLS-Wasp-Buzzz--Wizard-Whitler

"Hit me with your wisdom, cow."
jamsisjams
1000 Rated Poster

Postby dgdave » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:28 pm

up is more stable

down is less stable
-dgdave

dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Postby Fritz » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:47 pm

dgdave wrote:At a medium pace!! :lol: Adam Sandler is funny. Especially in middle school

I was hoping someone would post that response :)
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby cmrichar » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:52 pm

A tip that really helps is to run the disc under REALLY hot water for a little bit. This makes it softer and a little easier to bend. Then when you have it about where you want it, quickly run it under cold water to cool it back down.

I did this to a few discs that took a good tree hit and bent a section of the nose down. I couldn't bring it back until I ran it under hot water.
Chad Richardson
MVP Disc Sports
cmrichar
Tree Magnet

Postby Bradley Walker » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:21 pm

You might be shocked how many time a premium disc will need to be tunned to finally hold a tune. You do not want to tune right before you throw, unless of course you want the disc to be drastically tuned. You will need to tune a premium plastic disc several times with rest in between to get it just right. The disc will return to shape after a tune during the resting period.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby dgdave » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:51 pm

so fast or slow bends?

And with primo plastics, its just repetition?
-dgdave

dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Postby Bradley Walker » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:21 am

I guess I will give everyone a little tuning primmer.

First, you must understand that there are two types of deformation, elastic and plastic.

Elastic deformation is the stage that any material goes through where, when deformed, it will return to its original shape every single time. Once there is enough deformation to go past this stage, the material is said to have enter plastic deformation.

Plastic deformation is actually where the material is being deformed and will not return to shape.
Take for example a rubber band. If you expand a rubber band a little it will always return to shape, and you can literally do this indefinitely (and it will not matter what speed you do it at). Now if you take the same rubber band and expand it out wide it will permanently stretch out of shape.

The same thing applies to plastic used in discs. For discs, the better the plastic the greater the elastic range and the greater the limit of plastic deformation. In other words, it takes a much greater deflection to permanently deform better plastics. Cheaper plastics permanently deform at much less defection. This explains why premium plastic discs do not “beat in” from collisions like cheaper plastics (this also explains why some plastics simply SUCK for discs because they permanently deform within the force collision range of normal tree hits).

So, to answer your question, the speed of the deflection is not the key, it is the AMOUNT of the defection (think of the rubber band example). Star discs and ESP discs take bending the rim nearly double back on itself to deform the disc.

You can learn more about defection here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deformation
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Return to Technique