approach disc

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue May 16, 2006 8:49 am

man I never saw a purple swirl arrow, ive only seen yellow red and solid purple. I dont carry any arrow, but enjoyed using them as much as thumbing an epic.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Blake_T » Tue May 16, 2006 8:20 pm

i used to make fun of arrows by putting with one rightside up, having it hit tray every time, then turning it upside down and canning all of them from the same spot.

always made me laugh that they flew better upside down than they did flat. (hyzer/anhyzer = much longer than flat with that disc).
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue May 16, 2006 8:49 pm

isnt that true for the juju too (not the upside down but the hyzer/anny distance)

one of the best jouniors around (5 ft tall 13yr old that drives as long as me...) uses arrows, right side up, and putts fairly well and never three putts because the arrow is one of the best bricks of a putter.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby Blake_T » Tue May 16, 2006 9:26 pm

any time a comment is made about never 3-putting it means way too many 2-putts are going on :P
Blake_T

Postby Weebl » Tue May 16, 2006 11:15 pm

Blake_T wrote:i used to make fun of arrows by putting with one rightside up, having it hit tray every time, then turning it upside down and canning all of them from the same spot.

always made me laugh that they flew better upside down than they did flat. (hyzer/anhyzer = much longer than flat with that disc).

Isn't it beautiful? <40' do the cupcake putt (upside down) >40' rightside up with confidence it will stick. Need to do a sweeping hyzer/annie that will sweep big (or little if you want!) with a good chance at chains, yet will stick if it misses? Arrow.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Blake_T » Wed May 17, 2006 1:56 am

i'll stick to just making my putts thanks :P
Blake_T

Postby Pagan » Wed May 17, 2006 10:05 am

I actually have two putters. A Putt'r and a Challenger both in Elite X Soft plastic.
I can drive with the Challanger to a good 200' (with a good landing spot) and it holds it's line well. But I've had trouble doing anhyzer approaches / short drives with it. That's where my Putt'r drops in. I can nail it for soft or hard right turns. I also float back and forth between the two depending on winds, distances to basket, and my putting skills on that particular day. I catch hell on my local course from the others in my slill level. I got the idea off "what the pros carry" areas of sponsored players websites. Seems to be working well. Maybee one day I'll be good enough to just use one of them but at this time I use both.

Pagan
Wizard, Buzzz!, Sabre, Avenger
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Average Controlled Drives ~ 330'
Max Make Putt Range ~ 60'
Addicted since October of '05
Pagan
Tree Magnet

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed May 17, 2006 1:38 pm

that is somethign ive noticed now they have the team section of discrafts website, some of those guys carry alot of stuff, a couple had 3 putters :? Idk, I use my 173 Medium wizard for hyzer drives and drives over 200' (when I dont step up to a mid)
my beat medium 172 for annys and touch hyzers (more glidey) and a 172 soft for putts and short (150/in) straight runs
hit metal on two holes today, just started throwing the soft for these shots, I was throwing the beat medium, but it seems to want to hold a hyzer or turn. The soft (newer retool) flips up easier and flies straight, mabey tracks alittle left right.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby garublador » Wed May 17, 2006 5:22 pm

Pagan wrote:I actually have two putters. A Putt'r and a Challenger both in Elite X Soft plastic.
I can drive with the Challanger to a good 200' (with a good landing spot) and it holds it's line well. But I've had trouble doing anhyzer approaches / short drives with it. That's where my Putt'r drops in. I can nail it for soft or hard right turns. I also float back and forth between the two depending on winds, distances to basket, and my putting skills on that particular day. I catch hell on my local course from the others in my slill level. I got the idea off "what the pros carry" areas of sponsored players websites. Seems to be working well. Maybee one day I'll be good enough to just use one of them but at this time I use both.

Pagan

I'll definitely give you that the X-Putt'r will hold an anhyzer well. I used to putt with one until I got sick of it being useless for me in the wind. It was a rough transition, but switching to only using a Wizard helped out a lot. I still think the Putt'r flew better for putts with no wind, though.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby Woodchuck » Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:08 pm

This is bugging me as well. I have noticed a lot of my approach shots from 50-100 feet out hitting the basket or a foot from the basket and then picking up and rolling for a 40 foot putt that i miss half the time. This is using a Wizard for the most part. My wizard is money from 30 and in, its just those 50-150ft approaches that i would like something slower than a Wizard.

I have read about the Whitler and think that would be a great disc for those situations but it isn't out yet. So i guess i will try an Arrow, are there any other good options beside the Arrow though and is the Arrow ok at 100+ feet?
Woodchuck
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:44 pm

most floatier putters will leave you 40' but for different reasons. having a disc that the wind will pick up and carry away sucks.

my advice is to work with some approaches that have more touch, e.g. touch anhyzers, stall shots.

generally when i'm trying to "park" an approach with a fairly straight on flight i'm trying to land it ~15' short and sliding it up to the pin.
Blake_T

Postby Woodchuck » Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:07 pm

i agree, but i am talking about in calm conditions when i want to make a good run at the chains from 50-100ft away. It jsut seems that at the distance my wizard comes in too fast and hard, i very rarely miss left to right its a vertical miss usually and will either go below the basket or hit the bassket and then I have a hard 30-40 ft putt. I guess i just have to lay up more often and play the odds.
Woodchuck
Noob

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:20 pm

if you miss with the floatier putter it will have bad fly bys, I like throwing stall outs for runs in the 100'+ range (jump put 50'-100'). Im not saying something floaty, (areo, superpuppy, soon whitler) wouldnt work as well for you, but you woul have to learn another throw for the wind then.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby Weebl » Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:54 pm

It's all about the stall shots for >80' runs. With a headwind I use my wizard with enough oomph to get to the pin and with my wizard, when thrown flat into a headwind it doesnt fade when stalling from a flat release, so it just kinda plops down nice and easy, I use my lighter (162g) Aviar-X for tailwind, nose up, stalls or for touch annies/utility upshot/runs in calm conditions. I'd like to try a lighter wizard to see how well it does in filling that roll...
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Previous

Return to Equipment