Help out a newbie

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Help out a newbie

Postby Gee Rant » Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:43 pm

Hello, I recently started playing disc golf about 4 months ago and have fell in love with it. And, now I am trying to actually better my game as well as have a good time playing. I was hoping for some tips on technique. I have read the guides on this site over and over again and consider myself to have a somewhat strong arm (I was a pitcher in high school). Yet, I cannot get over the 250' mark with my drives. My approach seem to be lacking consistency and direction.

I use the x-step for drives and do not take any pre-step or run-up. On most approach shot I do not take any steps and just use the arm motion. I throw a champion orc for most drives (168 g) and a classic roc (175g) for most approach shots.

My drives seem to always curves right on any other disc than the orc and I can only throw s-curves with the orc. Oh yeah and I am a RHBH thrower. I have a beat up tee-bird also and that is the disc that curves right whenever I throw it. Any tips to better my game would be appreciated.

p.s. nice site, and if you see this blake I am the guy who sent you an email not to long ago about the position, the computer science major. You may not remember me, but that is ok.

Thanks
Gee Rant
Noob

Postby garublador » Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:25 pm

Personally, I find the "Technique Repair" section to be particularly useful when it comes to improving technique. Reading the articles from time to time is good, but if you have a specific problem, such as the discs always going right, then the Technique Repair section is much more useful.
garublador
Disc Whore

Return to Technique