Need ideas for instructional articles

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:08 pm

sounds like a good idea, I second it, but It sounds afully time consuming too ;-)...
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Bent wrist method of inducing spin/snap

Postby LastBoyScout » Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:40 am

I use the bend wrist method for throwing anything that would normally flip, like regular DX aviars. This allows you to throw long sweeping hyzers about 200ft and nice straight gliding shots that with a normal driving throw would end up flipping to anhyzer. also comes in handy when you are in a situation where you need a slow moving disc to come out of a hyzer to a gliding stall for tight hyzer turns.

This is something that me and a few friends were commenting on that you generraly dont see regular disc golfers using, but mainly just advanced players and up.
LastBoyScout

Postby Pagan » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:56 am

While I like the idea of a critique of form by watching submitted video I see a multitude of tasks for each. This would be helpful to no end, however I think the workload would drastically reduce the quantity of reviews. Why not do the opposite?

I read articles over and over and sometimes I just don't get a clear picture in my head. I can watch the videos you have provided. I have tried to break them down into segments using slow motion and am having troubles with quality and resolution. I am NOT complaining mind you. But I was thinking this morning how great it would be to read an arctilce (with pictures of course) where you break down a GOOD driving form. Like still photos and a description. If you wanted to include a slow motion video that would take the cake so to speak. I try to remember the articles I've read here when I approach the teepad. I have to admit it is easier to remeber a mental picture rather than a few paragraphs.

As they say; a picture really is worth a thousand words...

Pagan
Wizard, Buzzz!, Sabre, Avenger
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Average Controlled Drives ~ 330'
Max Make Putt Range ~ 60'
Addicted since October of '05
Pagan
Tree Magnet

Postby Blake_T » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:03 pm

the stuff most people struggle with are conceptual in nature.

simply put, you cannot teach timing with pictures, nor even really with video as it's based upon feel and dynamic execution.

a picture is worth a thousand words.
a concept is worth a million pictures.

i plan on having more articles with pictoral accompaniment, but they are low on the priority list right now.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby LastBoyScout » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:55 pm

I think that a instructional DVD would be great. Maybe a little Brian Schweberger action?

I also have a self written article on visual aiming which has really helped my game improve since there is only so much that physical aiming can do to help with timing. Think the physical mechanics of throwing a baseball and getting the ball in the general area and then learning how to gain precision accuracy by coordinating the physical and visual aspects. I also have some practice drills that I started using that are really helping me.

If you want a copy to read over, revise and possible use blake, just PM me.
LastBoyScout

Postby Blake_T » Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:06 am

the instructional dvd's are in the works with an ETA of mid-late july.

feel free to email me the article if you would like it posted.
Blake_T

Postby monter_masher » Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:23 pm

I think that an article about get x-step would be a helpful article for people. and haveing a slomo video for people to watch would be good. I just started learning backhand and those 2 second throw analysis videos are too short. I think it would be ideal to have a clip the x step slowed down because then you can get a better idea of whats being explained and you can see whats happening instead of a 2 secound clip.
monter_masher
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:07 pm

from my experiences teaching people the x step, any slow motion version of it generally transfers into a slow motion version of the x-step when they try to perform it.

i guess i don't really understand where people fail with learning the x-step. i learned it from reading a text article on the internet (rick bays' license to drive article) back when there really wasn't any video to download on the internet nor having seen any good players throw.

the frame breakdowns on the throw analysis section are basically freeze frames at each point in the x-step.
Blake_T

Postby LastBoyScout » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:33 pm

To be honest, the x-step I figured out on my own. I was really freaking out when I first played with people and they did it to. And to think, it only took a year of playing to finally get consistant with throwing 400 feet with minimal effort. While the x-step can be easy to understand, the physics and physical timing are the hard part. I know that with more work I can hit 450 with ease. I just have to find that physical and mental nirvana called Golf D.
LastBoyScout

Postby Pagan » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:17 pm

There's an idea blake Tournament prep, physical, mental, and the art of Zen Disc Golf.

*assumes a semi-lotus position and tries to reach the disc golfer within*

Seriously though, this would be a good article. Maybee a part of "practicing the pressure" before the tournament.
Wizard, Buzzz!, Sabre, Avenger
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Average Controlled Drives ~ 330'
Max Make Putt Range ~ 60'
Addicted since October of '05
Pagan
Tree Magnet

Postby Blake_T » Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:00 pm

pressure is something we create upon ourselves.

i figured most people would understand it but i will start on an article for all the chokers out there :P
Blake_T

Postby calvarycoffee » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:51 pm

it would be cool to see and article on forming/ maintaining a discgolf club. tips, checklists, do's and don'ts, handling money, record keeping, ect.

i am at that stage here in town, just started a league and we're almost ready to leap into club status.

i'd seen a forum on club starting in here - so i'm stealing that idea, hehe

dave
Do not resist chances. . . and there will be one less thing you cannot do -ACG
calvarycoffee
Tree Magnet

Postby LastBoyScout » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:21 am

Its not starting the club that is hard, its getting the people into positions of power who will keep it going. That is the trouble im having. They just wanted the club. They are not interested in taking the time to run large tournaments with other local clubs. Make sure that you put people in who will back you all the way.

Another great club idea for leagues or weekly tourneys is to contact your local paper. They have a sports section, and ususally its free to have a disc golf section added where you can post the weekly winners and their scores. Convincing the paper to run an article on disc golf referencing that section, who you are, what DG is, how it is played, some close local courses, where to buy disc locally, and about the club.

This was actually something that I was looking at putting into the works for a Disc Golf World contest, but maybe I can sit down an nail out a "How to form a disc golf club and keep it actively growing" article.

I have already been in contact with my PDGA state coordinator and with Southern Nationals about getting tournaments here. If you have people of power that are content with just the club, then get members who help you run your stuff. This is what im having to do.

Lets get a thread started on how to form a club, or PM me and i will answer all the questions I can.
LastBoyScout

Postby dflaschiii » Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:20 pm

I'd be interested in your opinion about exercises to improve your game that do not involve a disc. In other sports athletes spend as much time off the field training than they do practicing on the field, so why should disc golf be any different?

I bring this up because a lot of my discing peers go to the store and buy tons of new discs and go out to the course and throw every day, but I think thier distance and accuracy would improve a ton if they simply took a half hour of every day to train thier body. I fall into this same trap myself--thinking too much about equipment and technique, not enough about physical fitness. I exercise a bit, but in a general way--never since my high school days have I trained for a specific sport. I'd like to focus my workouts on disc-related exercises.

The article I have in mind is a sort of "Anatomy of the Disc Golfer," an article that focuses on the muscle groups used in proper throw and how to isolate those muscle groups in training. Topics such as:

Specific stretches that are especially important to the throwing movement and isolate muscles used in throwing motion.

Specific weight training or resistance excercises that are especially applicable to the discer.

Aroebic exercises that would improve explosiveness and endurance.

Strategy of training. What is more important to disc golf, brute strength or endurance? What are the benefits of one over the other? What do the top pros do when they train without a disc?

A full discussion of such topics would really help me formulate an exercise routine. Also, when you know more about the specific muscles you use in an activity, it helps you identify and recover from injury. That's just a few of the benefits of knowing the "Anatomy of a Disc Golfer."
dflaschiii
Tree Magnet

Postby JacksWeather » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:23 pm

What about an instructional article that focuses on teaching the throw from either the hit back, or the follow through and back. I think it might help teach people how to throw if you gave them instructions in building blocks in this way. Opposed to x-step, hip turn, shoulder turn, elbow extension, tendon bounce, grip and what not. You'd be like grip, hit, snap, elbow extension, shoulder turn, hip turn, stepping. Just seems like it'd quicken the learning process if people learned the concept from the hit back. I haven't thought it out real well, just wanted to offer the idea. I guess it'd help to be pretty in depth, if this sounds like a good idea, say so, and we can give our opinions of what in depth would mean.
Today seems like a good day to toss a disc or two.
The one for hyzer-flipping, turning over right on que.
I try to throw just like that, but sometimes I really suck.
Some say I need to get the axing, chalk it up to bad luck.
JacksWeather
Noob

PreviousNext

Return to Technique