Throwing midrange

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Throwing midrange

Postby orcsnrocs » Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:22 pm

I have recently started a run up that is more relaxed from the tee on holes i can reach with a mid range. I just walk up slowly slowly reach back and then start to excelerate forward as i reach full backward extention. I did this because if i stand still and use a driver run up then i screw it up and it dives right. My shots are significantly better with the new run up and im thinking about trying to do it with my drivers because the only reason they dont dive is because they have more stability. I'm wondering is this correct. I recently got the tip that i run up to fast and then i slow down as i reach back and speed up again. I eliminated that and am significantly better as now i walk up and am steady as i reach back then i start to excelerate. Could this be the reason i got better or could there be another explanation.

Also when i was putting i found that if i curl my wrist and snap it as i reach let go and i get some anhyser on it and it goes straight in as opposed to holding a straight wrist and letting it come out with more hyser and less spin. Now i know there's many different ways to successfully put but would you suggest i continue to practice with the wrist curled back and getting more snap or go back to the way it was.
orcsnrocs
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:57 pm

well two things...

it sounds like your driver runup is causing off axis torque, likely due to balance and body positioning.

your attempt to consciously snap the wrist sounds like a wrist roll over and will not allow you to pull through the shot.

what you are describing with your midrange technique of starting slow and accelerating through the shot is generally what i teach.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

How to fix it

Postby orcsnrocs » Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:19 pm

the driver thing the off axis torque how do i fix that and ive been making puts from like 35-40 feet in practice and getting close to making them in the round so idk if im explaining it wrong or what
orcsnrocs
Noob

Postby orcsnrocs » Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:37 pm

thanks blake got the putting thing down fixed the wrist just takes some practice!
orcsnrocs
Noob

Return to Technique