Just need to share the joy.

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Just need to share the joy.

Postby krusen » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:08 am

This last week has been pretty awesome for me in terms of DG:

I added about 20' to my drive lately. Not sure how this happened, but I think I'll attribute it to throwing putters a lot lately and concentrating on a clean release. Now hitting 350' with TeeBirds and 360+ with my high speed drivers. 400' here I come.

I have started to get more response to the flyers I have been posting around here trying to get a club together. We're now starting a weekly league. In conjunction, I'm renting some baskets to set up a temp course on Saturday during the Hutchinson Water Carnival. On Sunday I'm going to set up an object course at the park I'm hoping to get a course installed in. Hopefully this will draw some attention to our cause since most around here have never heard of the sport.

And better yet...a reporter from the local paper called me earlier this week. She saw one of the petitions I had posted and is going to do an article about my efforts to get a course installed, and about DG in general. Our town is only about 13,000 pop., but I'm still pretty psyched.

I've got about 100 signatures on my petition so far and hoping to get a lot more this weekend. I've been talking with a guy from the local park board and he sems pretty optomistic about building a course, and has forwarded my proposal and some other info on to the rest of the board. I think I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel.

For anyone else who is attempting something similar...patience and persistence is the key. I started posting flyers last year and only had 2 responses. Also it takes a lot more work than you would think, thankfully, my girlfriend has been helping me design handouts and a display board for this weekend.
krusen
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Old Mold DX Beast

Postby sleepy » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:42 am

Congrats on your recent breakthroughs! It's also very cool that your girlfriend is involved and supportive. :)

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby presidio hills » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:16 am

YOU, my friend, are helping disc golf move forward in a big way by setting up a course. think of all the rounds that will be played there and all because of your hard work. you deserve big props and a pat on the back!
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Pagan » Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:03 pm

presidio hills wrote:YOU, my friend, are helping disc golf move forward in a big way by setting up a course. think of all the rounds that will be played there and all because of your hard work. you deserve big props and a pat on the back!

A big ole hell yeah!

Maybee they will name a hole after you?
Good work man.
Wizard, Buzzz!, Sabre, Avenger
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Average Controlled Drives ~ 330'
Max Make Putt Range ~ 60'
Addicted since October of '05
Pagan
Tree Magnet

Postby Solty » Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:15 pm

on the same lines...we presented a 7 page proposal for a course in NE PA. Township enginneer was very impressed and noted all the support in the community....cross yer fingers!
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Postby krusen » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:31 am

Thanks for the kind words guys. The funding is still up in the air since I was told that the parks department doesn't have a lot of cash to work with, but hopefully this weekend will make a good impression on some local business owners.

Nice work to you too Mike. We need some more courses the the northeast. This is looking like a big year for disc golf all around.
krusen
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Old Mold DX Beast

Postby Pagan » Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:26 pm

krusen wrote:Thanks for the kind words guys. The funding is still up in the air since I was told that the parks department doesn't have a lot of cash to work with, but hopefully this weekend will make a good impression on some local business owners.

Nice work to you too Mike. We need some more courses the the northeast. This is looking like a big year for disc golf all around.

I remembered something that may prove usefuil for you in your quest for a disc golf course installation. On the pdga website a few months back I located a document "How disc golf courses benefit rural communities". If memory serves it was a couple dozen pages in PDF (Adobe Acrobat) format. I printed this off and gave it to the head of our Parks & Rec. Our new course is under construction now. Perhaps this material might prove useful in your cause.

I would also suggest hitting up local sponsors. I was considering hitting up local businesses to "sponsor" holes. I was going to propose a "This hole sponsored by: ___________." on the tee signs. Baskets cost about $300 each but perhaps with some local funding, and some groups will give grants if the cause is just. Play the "community in need, keep the kids active in sports and off drugs" theme.

Good luck
Pagan
Wizard, Buzzz!, Sabre, Avenger
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Average Controlled Drives ~ 330'
Max Make Putt Range ~ 60'
Addicted since October of '05
Pagan
Tree Magnet

Postby Rooster » Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:57 am

how about using innova baskets with the chasitity belt and pout sponsers on that? every player is looking at the basket for at least one of their shots, perfect add space if you ask me.
Rooster
Fairway Surgeon

Return to General Discussion