Questions on footwear

Clothing for Disc Golfers, Shoes, Socks, Shirts, Hats etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby Grayson » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:26 pm

nah man, I'm not really tearin up the tee on purpose, it just happens sometimes when it gets really wet and muddy here,, our courses just happen to be on floodplains, so the tees get nasty slick and muddy. I'm actually the guy helpin pack new dirt down every two months, and trying to get good french drainage systems working for our fairways, so they don't really give me crap about it... i'm not takin big chuncks out on every throw, i'm just doin what i've gotta do to throw well in the rain... i don't really think that anyone's shot has actually turned out worse because of my cleats,, and i do think they are a must for anyone playing on my home course when it has rained on lot... in fact, most of our guys are wearing cleats now. in the summer all that dirt gets rock hard and i usually wear normal tennis shoes then...
Grayson
2008 DGR Donator

Postby niuvalleycane » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:22 am

question:

hi tops

3/4 cuts

low cuts

what ya sportin'?
niuvalleycane
Fairway Surgeon

Postby tumpsi » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:23 am

I have a pair of Reebok's cross country running shoes, nice and light with gore tex.
Keeps my feet warm & dry. I think it's best for your game to use something that
feels good, not what the pro's prefer (or what they get through sponsorships).

I definitely like low tops. I have Haglöf's trail2mid high top hiking shoes for
winter play, and they're a bit too stiff cause of the high top.
Max Boss Teebird Roc Wizard
tumpsi
1000 Rated Poster

Postby jeremy » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:04 am

Low Tops here.
jeremy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: 178gr Comet

Postby worthdan » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:31 am

high top merrells for me, but i have flat feet and need good ankle support
worthdan
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby jeremy » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:37 am

Had my seal skinz for about 2 years now and have had no problems. They are heavily used for DG and fishing.
jeremy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: 178gr Comet

Postby garublador » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:52 am

stoneman wrote:I've had my Salamons since October. I didn't buy the waterproof version, because a waterproof low top shoe is kinda stupid (IMHO).
You must not play in the mornings. 90% of the water my feet see is from dew. 95% of the water my feet see is from dew or puddles. I don't see why high tops would be better, I almost never see bodies of water that I need to step in that are deep enough to be above a low top but below a high top.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby deaddisc » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:31 am

Low top cross trainers in good weather, high top boots in the slop.
deaddisc
Fairway Surgeon

Postby ChUcK » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:36 am

I bought some gore-tex solomons last summer on the clearance rack at REI, and they're still running strong. They might be the first pair of DG shoez to last me an entire year. That's playing a LOT of golf, though. If I played less than 8-10 rounds a week my shoes would last a lot longer.

I'll definitely stick with solomons from here on out, though. Just gotta hang around the clearance rack like a vulture to b e able to afford them!
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: all of 'em.

Postby Eric O » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:36 pm

anarak82 wrote:nah man, I'm not really tearin up the tee on purpose, it just happens sometimes when it gets really wet and muddy here,, our courses just happen to be on floodplains, so the tees get nasty slick and muddy. I'm actually the guy helpin pack new dirt down every two months, and trying to get good french drainage systems working for our fairways, so they don't really give me crap about it... i'm not takin big chuncks out on every throw, i'm just doin what i've gotta do to throw well in the rain... i don't really think that anyone's shot has actually turned out worse because of my cleats,, and i do think they are a must for anyone playing on my home course when it has rained on lot... in fact, most of our guys are wearing cleats now. in the summer all that dirt gets rock hard and i usually wear normal tennis shoes then...
I didn't mean to bust your balls. In this case cleats don't sound unreasonable at all.

niuvalleycane wrote:question:

hi tops

3/4 cuts

low cuts

what ya sportin'?
Low tops all the way! GoreTex if it isn't summertime.

I have tried the waterproof sock route and it definitely wasn't for me.
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Eric O » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:39 pm

ChUcK wrote:I'll definitely stick with solomons from here on out, though. Just gotta hang around the clearance rack like a vulture to b e able to afford them!
I'll plug for these guys, cause this is where I usually find good shoe deals:
http://www.backcountryoutlet.com/

I have no idea why everyone is so high on Solomon though. I know a lot of people who disc in them and durability seems to be an ongoing issue.
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby MR. WICK » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:40 pm

high top merrells for me, but i have flat feet and need good ankle support

That's what I rock as well. With special insoles that raise my arch.
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: the one in my hand

Postby matchu » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:14 pm

anarak82 wrote:nah man, I'm not really tearin up the tee on purpose, it just happens sometimes when it gets really wet and muddy here,, our courses just happen to be on floodplains, so the tees get nasty slick and muddy. I'm actually the guy helpin pack new dirt down every two months, and trying to get good french drainage systems working for our fairways, so they don't really give me crap about it... i'm not takin big chuncks out on every throw, i'm just doin what i've gotta do to throw well in the rain... i don't really think that anyone's shot has actually turned out worse because of my cleats,, and i do think they are a must for anyone playing on my home course when it has rained on lot... in fact, most of our guys are wearing cleats now. in the summer all that dirt gets rock hard and i usually wear normal tennis shoes then...

if it is wet and muddy and you are just out playing for fun...then please throw from behind the tee or to the left/right. please please.... do you guys plan on fixing them before your tourney?
Synchronize the why’s, the if’s the lies. Shake and sift through the mess. Digress the flesh left is our disguise.

matchu
matchu
Fairway Surgeon

Postby plastic_fondler » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:24 pm

For me its all about the grip needed for the course and tee pads. If its wet and muddy and the course has natural tee pads...I choose a hiking low/mid top with an aggressive tread. Salomon mt. series for me. If the course has grippy pads, concrete, I use a trial runner with med. aggressive soles. If the course is a park course with concrete...I go with skate shoes of some type. If I use too grippy soles on concrete my kness hurt after a few rounds.
plastic_fondler
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: firebird

Postby Glock23 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:31 pm

Depends on the temp and traction.
Lowas or Merrells for when it is damp or wet and I will need extra traction and goretex

Lightweight Pumas with sharp tread for nice dry days.

All low-tops.
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~ Hunter Thompson
04 Honda Superhawk 996

Live near Ohio and need a new or used car? Send me a PM!
Glock23
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beaver

PreviousNext

Return to Disc Golf Body Gear