Midnight Wizard

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Midnight Wizard

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:58 pm

I have a question, and heres as good a place as any, what makes a midnight wizard different? I have black wizards with the gateway stamp, and with the wizard stamp, and they dont seem to be anything special (although two are in my bag).
So what gives, do I need a midnight wizard ;-)?
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Re: Midnight Wizard

Postby Blake_T » Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:53 pm

Thatdirtykid wrote:So what gives, do I need a midnight wizard ;-)?

if you like your regular wizard, the answer seems to be: apparently not.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:14 pm

really I just want to know if its a different plastic or has different characteristics. I really like my Soft Black 172 with the Wizard stamp for putting.
I like my Black Medium 173 stamped GATEWAY for overstable drives.

(and of course I cant talk about those two without the third, my favorite and most used outside of putting, Beige (origionally yellow) Med Wizard beat w/ a jerry stamp)
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby lacrimosa » Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:15 pm

hehe, my beige jerry stamp med wizard is my most used disc too.

I had a midnight supersoft for a while. it had a nice chalky feel to it and gripped well, but whenever it was hot outside it would heat up and feel almost like play-dough.
lacrimosa
Noob

Postby daevidcardiac » Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:57 pm

i thought the black ones were the midnights
yuk
daevidcardiac
Noob

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:15 pm

daevidcardiac wrote:i thought the black ones were the midnights

thats all im asking is if all black wizards are midnights or if its a special run ect. My 172 soft blue wizard is not much different than my 172 soft black. the black heats up more, so it has a thumb groove around the rim. its been my putter a while, but is easily replaceable w/ the blue.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby TexasOutlaw » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:11 am

The midnight wizards are chalky. They were finished with some kind of talc (for lack of a better word) to make them such.

The weird part is that there seems to have been some black ones released afterwards that were not chalky. Not sure if it was a different run or just black ones that someone had been sitting around.

One thing about midnights is that I have had some stolen on drives.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby steezo » Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:32 pm

The black protos I own/throw have little white dots in the plastic, which I believe is a filler. This is where the chalky feeling comes from. My red proto feels the same but the white dots (filler) is not as noticeable. I also have a couple of protos from later runs, one white the other sky blue, and these are not chalky but not slick either. They are butter. As if a JK 3X Got drunk in a bar and took a Proto Wiz home for the night - 9 months later and into my bag. 8)
steezo
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beef Curtain

Postby sleepy » Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:52 pm

steezo wrote:They are butter. As if a JK 3X Got drunk in a bar and took a Proto Wiz home for the night - 9 months later and into my bag. 8)

Classic.

:D :lol: :D

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Solty » Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:15 pm

steezo wrote:
They are butter. As if a JK 3X Got drunk in a bar and took a Proto Wiz home for the night - 9 months later and into my bag.

i thought when discs hooked up.....they made mini's?

:shock:
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:54 pm

I suppose its a sad day for these chalky black wizards everyones calling midnights....
I just left the library (on the campus in the middle of the course, so its disc golf and internet (none at home) for me on my days off)
and I threw a anny w/ a left to right cross wind w/ my most stable wizard, the "midnight" wizard toward the pin about 250 (I used the stable one for an anny becuase I wanted it to flatten out traveling to the right instead of holding, it did that very well rode the wind proably 350' as the crow flies bang hits the tree just to the right of the basket. (moving pretty quick because the wind assistance) Parks the hole, I get an easy alternate tee bird, but when I go to pick up my wizard. Cracked the flight plate eadge to eadge :evil: oh well. I still have one newer med wizard for the more stable shots, but its a 171 :?
See my list, I think I am going to be looking for 173+ Medium/Firm wizards soon...
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby sleepy » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:50 pm

Man...that ain't good! :o How new/old was it? Any signs of weakness/cracking before this?

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby daevidcardiac » Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:14 am

ive cracked many a putter, but never a wiz. i throw soft though.
yuk
daevidcardiac
Noob

Postby Fritz » Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:43 am

daevidcardiac wrote:ive cracked many a putter, but never a wiz. i throw soft though.

My bro cracked a medium black one. it was about 80degrees outside and it smacked a rock on the ground I think, not positive, but it split right down the middle. Very strange.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby CincyKeith » Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:44 am

daevidcardiac wrote:ive cracked many a putter, but never a wiz. i throw soft though.

I guess I'm a bit opposite. I've never cracked a putter, except for a 172g Proto Wizard :shock: :!: I was a bit surprised, and I'm still yet to be corrected when I say that gateway's S plastic is no more durable than DX or Pro D. I know a lot of others would disagree with me, but that's just speaking from my own experience.
Practice, practice, practice. Especially with players that are better than you. It's one of the only ways to learn new things.
CincyKeith
Noob

Next

Return to Equipment