Questions on footwear

Clothing for Disc Golfers, Shoes, Socks, Shirts, Hats etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby Mr.SmOOOth » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:22 pm

rusch_bag wrote:
Mr.SmOOOth wrote:I switched from New Balance to low top NIke trail runners last year and they are real light and comfortable. Plus, some child in a third world country gets to earn .67 a day while making them. :D

We actually have a speaker coming to our school who was a soccer player for a National Champion Collegiate team and Nike offered to sponsor them and he didn't want to have Nike as a sponsor so they kicked him off the team and now he goes around exposing Nike. They actually get 23 cents an hour.

That sucks! I used to avoid Nike, but I saw these Air Max Assails at an outlet store and bought them. I need a low-top because I don't like anything covering my ankles and I have been leaning towards non leather shoes lately. The price was too good to pass up.
"Are you talking to me on a cellular phone? I don't know you. Who is this? Don't come here! Prank caller! Prank caller!"
Mr.SmOOOth
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Z BUZZZ

Postby MDR_3000 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:05 pm

I just ordered these we'll see how they hold up.
MDR_3000
I Throw Faaar

Postby Micah » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:13 pm

If you buy Salomon shoes at REI you can take them back every 11 months and get a brand new pair under warranty. They are covered for one year and I have had 1 pair replaced 4 times. I have never met a pair or shoes that lasts me 12 months. They always honor there warranty. This is one reason people think they are gold.
Micah
Tree Magnet

Postby lmf1030 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:53 pm

MDR_3000 wrote:I just ordered these we'll see how they hold up.

Man there cheaper then what REI wasselling them for like $86.
Why Do I keep wacking Trees???

Disc for Sell Or Trade
http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2381
lmf1030
Tree Magnet

Postby tumpsi » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:32 am

rusch_bag wrote:
Mr.SmOOOth wrote:I switched from New Balance to low top NIke trail runners last year and they are real light and comfortable. Plus, some child in a third world country gets to earn .67 a day while making them. :D

We actually have a speaker coming to our school who was a soccer player for a National Champion Collegiate team and Nike offered to sponsor them and he didn't want to have Nike as a sponsor so they kicked him off the team and now he goes around exposing Nike. They actually get 23 cents an hour.

I think you need to ask yourselves; what the kids would do if they didn't make the Nikes. It's sounds pretty damn brutal, but things could be a lot worse.

PS. I don't wear Nikes, and hopefully not anything made by kids.
Max Boss Teebird Roc Wizard
tumpsi
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Eric O » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:38 am

Micah wrote:If you buy Salomon shoes at REI you can take them back every 11 months and get a brand new pair under warranty. They are covered for one year and I have had 1 pair replaced 4 times. I have never met a pair or shoes that lasts me 12 months. They always honor there warranty. This is one reason people think they are gold.
You can do that with pretty much anything you buy at REI. But then you have to ask yourself if that's ethical.
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Donkeypuncher » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:30 am

They get reimbursed by the manufacturer for shoes replaced under warranty. If they give you a year warranty on the shoe and it doesn't last a year, I see no reason why that would be unethical. I've only had 2 pairs of shoes that have lasted over a year in my life, my last pair of new balance 513 and my old doc martens back in high school.
Donkeypuncher
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Eric O » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:41 am

Warranty's don't apply to normal wear and tear for most consumer products, but have it any way you like it.
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Micah » Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:16 am

It does on Solomans that is the beauty of their warranty and the reason I have worn them in the past.
Micah
Tree Magnet

Postby Eric O » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:50 am

I just got a call from North Face today. I sent an 8 month old pair of Hedgehog XCRs to their warranty dept because the uppers had some stitching coming loose. They are sending a new pair of the brand new replacement model. Sweet!
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby disctribution » Thu May 08, 2008 12:22 am

OK I'm kind of a shoe noob. Here's what I've discovered so far....

Disc Golf is TOUGH on shoes. I forked over over $100 for a pair of North Face Arnuva Trail Shoes with BOA lacing. Love the lacing, but my shoes have only lasted about a month on conrete tees and already the soles are starting to seperate. Some of the cosmetic pieces are falling off, and the soles near big toe are getting shredded.

I really need to know what kinda shoes I can buy if money is no object. I would love something super durable, nicely vented, good arch support, and did I mention durable? I don't really want to buy another pair of shoes in a month or two.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
California tournaments n' stuff: www.disCtribution.com

My Disc-O-Rama
disctribution
Tree Magnet

Postby Jaysus » Thu May 08, 2008 7:08 am

disctribution wrote:O
Disc Golf is TOUGH on shoes. I forked over over $100 for a pair of North Face Arnuva Trail Shoes with BOA lacing. Love the lacing, but my shoes have only lasted about a month on conrete tees and already the soles are starting to seperate. Some of the cosmetic pieces are falling off, and the soles near big toe are getting shredded.

dude, get in touch with North Face about that... those shoes sound defective to me.
Jaysus
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Timko » Thu May 08, 2008 7:09 am

Salomon has a new pair of shoes out called the xt wings that are supposed to be for both trail and road running. Not sure if I'll pick them up (it took me 6 months to wear holes near the ball of my foot on the left and right shoe), but I'm going to look at some later this week.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby J-Man » Thu May 08, 2008 8:15 am

Shoe fit is such a personal thing, personally I like a tight fit, and a shoe that will take the torque, so I stick with high end Tennis Shoes. Adidas used to make a grass court shoe that was the best, but with the end of production I switched to the Barricade V, a little pricey, but worth every penny. Tennis wearhouse has the best base price. As to returning at 11 months and ethics, again, it's a personal call.
Team Oregon Ambassador@Large
J-Man
1000 Rated Poster

Postby geoloseth » Thu May 08, 2008 8:56 am

I would recommend either http://www.teva.com/ProductDetails.aspx?g=m&categoryID=11&productID=6704&model=Dozer or http://www.teva.com/ProductDetails.aspx?g=m&categoryID=336&productID=6148&model=Omnium

I have a pair of Dozers and I love them. So far they've held up to about 5-6 rounds a week for over 6 months.
geoloseth
Fairway Surgeon

PreviousNext

Return to Disc Golf Body Gear