dogleg right holes

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

dogleg right holes

Postby monter_masher » Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:20 am

Hey everyone, I have been starting to learn back hand and Ive noticed that a bunch of holes are dogleg right type of holes. On these type of shots what do you guys throw a backhand shot or sidearm?
monter_masher
Noob

Postby lacrimosa » Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:45 am

I guess it would depend on the hole and how steep the dog leg is. I'm a lot more comfortable throwing backhand (rhbh), so if there's enough room and the dogleg isn't too tight, I'll just throw a backhand turnover. if the hole is pretty tight and the dogleg abrupt, I'll probably sidearm something overstable that'll stall and fade a lot (z flick, h illusion, etc.)
lacrimosa
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:01 am

there are different types of holes requiring different types of shots.

not all dogleg right holes are ideal for sidearms. not all dogleg right holes are ideal for backhand shots.

basically, to conquer all of these holes you will need at least 3 of the following shots:

backhand anhyzer, backhand turnover, backhand roller, thumber, sidearm flat, sidearm hyzer.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Rob » Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:19 pm

Im a lefty for everything except throwing discs, i throw RHBH. So i can only throw lefty sidearms which are pretty pointless. So i stick to all rhbh even on tight dogleg right shots. I got pretty good at throwing a hard anhyzer and its way more consistent then my friends who go with the sidearm. I actually started to throw LHBH on one hole for a while and it worked pretty good. I wasn't sure if developing that shot for one hole was worth it so i stopped. Should i try and work on that shot a little more considering im really a lefty and get a decent snap when i try it?
Rob
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby Eric O » Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:45 pm

I am in the exact same boat as Rob. To get to the right I usually throw RHBH with lots of anhyser or a roller.
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Terrence » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:57 am

I've also found RHBH the most consistant for holes bending to the right. I usually throw right doglegs with my Z-Buzzz and just let the speed turn it over. And then my Breeze to throw from the trees after my drive :oops: .
Terrence
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Postby Fritz » Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:05 pm

I usually bust out my Anhyzer, unless it's a sevre dogleg right then I just attempt a sidearm flicker.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby The Clergyman » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:56 pm

Something that I have had a ton of success with is throwing an Archangel. I use 150 class because they are useless in a headwind anyhow, so why not go light? Back off on the power and make sure you've got good spin and it will cut to the right in mid air very hard, like it ricochet-ed off an invisible tree :wink:
FYI the disc will move better and better the more and more broken in it gets so be patient if you try this method (rhbh).
Today was good. Today was fun. Tomorrow is another one.
~Dr.Seuss
The Clergyman
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Z XL...or not

Postby coogs » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:29 am

Pardon the quick hijack, but what is a dogleg right hole? A sharp right turn?
coogs
Tree Magnet

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:49 am

any bend in a fairway right could be considered a dogleg right.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Return to General Discussion