MTA

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

MTA

Postby Lets_Throwdown » Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:25 pm

Hey guys. Anyone else play MTA. Not too many disc golfers around Cincinnati play it. Anyone else play this fun disc game?

J.P.
Lets_Throwdown
Noob

MTA

Postby CincyKeith » Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:05 am

I would say most people around the great Cincy area don't play MTA because they'd rather be playing at one of our many great local courses. Don't get me wrong, MTA is a great way to improve many skills necessary to be a good disc golfer, but I'd rather focus more of my time to playing what I love the most. Especially when you have courses like Banklick or Idlewild or my favorite Mt. Airy :lol: . I used to play Ultimate to improve my game a while back, but I've even let that go (which is a shame).

On top of it, not many people know what it is. Maybe if they were incorporate MTA into the field events at the Worlds or even the
Flying Pig then it could get more recognition.

In fact, now that you mention it.....maybe I should give it a try again. It's only been 10 years since I've tossed one up there. :lol:
Practice, practice, practice. Especially with players that are better than you. It's one of the only ways to learn new things.
CincyKeith
Noob

Postby Lets_Throwdown » Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:11 pm

I agree with you though. We are very lucky with all the courses we have around here. I just think that this game is a ton of fun and something that just involves a llittle more physical ability to do, (running for the discs and such).
Lets_Throwdown
Noob

Postby Chains » Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:37 pm

So what's MTA?

Chains
Noob

Postby Lets_Throwdown » Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:41 pm

MTA stands for Most Time Aloft. The idea is to try and keep the disc up for as long as you can. You throw a MTA weight disc into a head wind with a lot of hyzer. It will flip over b/c of the headwind and you have to go and run and catch it with one hand. The person with the highest time wins. I think i covered everything.
Lets_Throwdown
Noob

MTA is a blast

Postby robj » Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:10 pm

a good website for MTA is :arrow:

http://hem.bredband.net/area46/engelska/skola/scfskola.html

note that SCF (self-caught flight) refers to both MTA (maximum time aloft measured in seconds) and TRC (throw, run, catch measured in meters).
TRC is like MTA except you get credit for how far you run rather than for how long the disc is aloft. Christian Sandstrom recently set a new TRC world record of 94 meters :!: Like in MTA, In TRC you have to catch the disc with one hand for it to count. i think Sandstrom used a Condor (MTA weight) to set the record. for a listing of world records, visit :arrow:
http://www.wfdf.org/index.php?page=records/index.htm

MTA is almost a religious experience for me, at least when i get one that is 12 seconds plus... too bad more people haven't discovered it. you do have to run a lot to master it... i guess for some that's a deterrent, but it shouldn't be :idea:
robj
Noob

Favorite Disc: Champ Roadrunner

Return to General Discussion