Pro Wraith

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Pro Wraith

Postby coogs » Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:14 am

I purchased a pro wraith yesterday on the recommendation that it's a good transition disc from throwing primarily valkyries.

In reading tons of reviews on this thing (on this site and others) I see a lot of people saying it has a great tendency to turn and even flip; however, when reading the disc comparison chart on GGGT, it's listed as having a 0 for HSS. I did notice, though, that it must be thrown with a power rating of 5, so would that explain why so many people have this disc turn on them, they aren't throwing it hard enough? Of course, my confusion can also be linked to not fully understanding flight mechanics.

I'm ready to take this thing into the field for practice, but I want to know what to expect.
Last edited by coogs on Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coogs
Tree Magnet

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:14 am

turning them would mean theyre throwing it too hard (not likely when the disc is new) but more likely thrown with anhyzer or wrist roll. a pro wraith will eventually break in to be flippy. If you dont have the power to throw it it will act fairly overstable.
either way it will be a bit more stable than valkaries
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Re: Pro Wraith

Postby Fritz » Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:45 pm

coogs wrote:I purchased a pro wraith yesterday on the recommendation that it's a good tranisition disc from throwing primarily valkyries.

In reading tons of reviews on this thing (on this site and others) I see a lot of people saying it has a great tendency to turn and even flip; however, when reading the disc comparison chart on GGGT, it's listed as having a 0 for HSS. I did notice, though, that it must be thrown with a power rating of 5, so would that explain why so many people have this disc turn on them, they aren't throwing it hard enough? Of course, my confusion can also be linked to not fully understanding flight mechanics.

I'm ready to take this thing into the field for practice, but I want to know what to expect.

I liked the DX Wraith a ton better then the Pro version.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby Blake_T » Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:51 pm

the pro wraith's stability is based a lot on speed.

if you aren't throwing 400+, it should not turn unless you force it over.

basically, it flies like a more overstable pro starfire. slightly more high speed stable, and a bit more low speed overstable. however, to get a max flight path you basically need to turn it like an orc. i would say it's probably more like a glidier z crush.

for someone w/ 450' of power, it will behave as a -1 HSS, but if you are throwing say, 350' or less it will be a 0. it is not a true stable disc.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby smpen45 » Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:29 pm

The Pro Wraith is an awesome forhand disc. Throw it with a little anhyzer, like release late, around the left side of your waist (if u r a RHFH). It will cut left but since it has a lot of fade, it'll come back making your shot a slightly right shot instead of a big turn, john crapper. Those stink. For RHBH, it is a maximum drive as long as you have a strong arm. There is not much turn on backhand if you have control.
smpen45
Noob

Postby TexasOutlaw » Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:13 pm

Flip it bro. It comes back for a beatiful helix. Throw it with about 70 percent power. Do not muscle this disc at all.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Pro wraith

Postby twmccoy » Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:01 pm

I've thrown several pro wraiths (170-175g) and never had one flip without me trying to flip it. They do gradually get more understable, but it is a slow process and the disc will never be dramatically flippy. I throw 400' consistently and the wraith doesn't flip. If I want a huge flight I roll my wrist and purposely flip it.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Return to Equipment