Taking Distance Drivers out for Good!!

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Taking Distance Drivers out for Good!!

Postby masterbeato » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:59 am

So I came to a conclusion the other day. I barely ever use my Orion LF or DX Valkyrie for Distance, I use my Tee-Birds on the longer holes anyways. So I'm deciding to completely take out my Distance Drivers. I'm still keeping my Z Avenger in the bag though because in my opinion, those are not distance drivers. Think Tee-Bird on crack, is basically what they are. X Avengers are distance drivers without a doubt. But the Z Avengers are so stable and controllable it's just a really fast control driver.

Bag Setup as of now:

Z Avenger
Z Predator
Champion Tee-Bird
DX Tee-Bird
D Cyclone
DX Roc
KC Aviar

That's a control bag setup, If I want a longer, lower, and faster Tee-Bird line basically I would go for the Avenger. If I want to go for max distance I would go for a slightly beat DX Tee-Bird. That's the rough sketch of the idea.

I personally think I will play better and "Hit" my drives a whole lot better if I just through with more control knowing I'm not going as far as I could. I will have more shot commitment to my game.

I posted this to see what all of you think in your opinions.
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:36 am

Depends on the courses you play. I would still want my distance drivers on courses like C.P. Adams, N. Valley, HSSA and Shakopee in the Twin Cities and Giants Ridge in Biwabik.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Blake_T » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:44 am

beato can throw champ teebirds 460'+.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby jamsisjams » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:10 am

If you can throw Champ Teebirds 460'+ there isn't a great need for a distance driver, no sir. Where would you use the OLF where you couldn't use an Avenger in a certain state of wear/plastic/weight?

I've been doing the same, though. I really only throw my home course and it's heavily wooded. While I don't throw anything 460'+, I've been slowly taking out my OLFs. I've thrown in an Eagle-X for stability and thrown in a couple more JLS to fill up the bag. Even though the course is wooded, there usually isn't an issue with ceilings. I figure when I can start putting my JLSs and Eagle out to 350' or so I might bring the OLFs back.
Tsunami-SOLF--JLS-Wasp-Buzzz--Wizard-Whitler

"Hit me with your wisdom, cow."
jamsisjams
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:48 am

beato can throw champ teebirds 460'+.

If he threw 500, he'd only need to make a 10 ft putt rather than a 50 footer on CP #4 though... :)
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby corey115 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:57 am

He'd be putting it in the parking lot on CP#18 though :shock:
Predator | Avenger | Boss | Drone | Buzzz | Yeti
corey115
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby masterbeato » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:58 am

jamsisjams wrote:If you can throw Champ Teebirds 460'+ there isn't a great need for a distance driver, no sir. Where would you use the OLF where you couldn't use an Avenger in a certain state of wear/plastic/weight?

My feelings exactly. Maybe even when my predator gets beat in I might just take the Avenger out as well. But I would first have to see what will happen, might be a different line and disc all together. Predators might not be as long even with it being beat up, but if I get a similar result and finding myself throwing a beat predator more often then an Avenger, I will just take it out and keep the pred.

The idea is basically simplicity. With that comes confidence, and better shot shaping.

This is what 2-Disc Rounds have taught me.
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby MDR_3000 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:06 pm

jamsisjams wrote:If you can throw Champ Teebirds 460'+ there isn't a great need for a distance driver, no sir.

Sure there is...it's easier to hit that distance with a "distance driver".
MDR_3000
I Throw Faaar

Postby jamsisjams » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:13 pm

MDR_3000 wrote:
jamsisjams wrote:If you can throw Champ Teebirds 460'+ there isn't a great need for a distance driver, no sir.

Sure there is...it's easier to hit that distance with a "distance driver".

personally think I will play better and "Hit" my drives a whole lot better if I just through with more control knowing I'm not going as far as I could. I will have more shot commitment to my game.
So says the guy that can hit 460'+ with his Teebirds.

I can see where you are coming from, MDR_3000 and agree that it should be easier to hit those distances with the bigger drivers. Mind you, this assumes that the fairway allows for these drivers, although I assume that 460'+ of D from a Teebird stems from above average accuracy. Even with this amount of D, though, would the longer drivers ever be as controllable as the Teebird or something comparable?

Beato, you obviously have good game. I can relate to you in that I, too, have been playing some two or three disc rounds. However, I would question replacing the Avengers with the Preds simply based on the amount of glide. To each their own, though; I've never thrown either mold.

Here's to hitting 460'+D consistently.
Tsunami-SOLF--JLS-Wasp-Buzzz--Wizard-Whitler

"Hit me with your wisdom, cow."
jamsisjams
1000 Rated Poster

Postby black udder » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:21 pm

Blake_T wrote:beato can throw champ teebirds 460'+.

And the problem is???

At that distance you can make any disc fly it's "intended" flight. It's just a matter of finding a disc that you can control.

The term "distance driver" is misleading only because every few years, the distance drivers of that age are replaced.

If you can control a teebird out to 460+ I see no reason why you couldn't control other drivers out there as well. Climo has always used teebirds and yet even he has a wraith in his bag last time I heard.

By all means, yank out drivers that you can't control out of your bag, but if you're yanking out everything perceived as a distance driver you need to define that term a little better.

And boy, understand I'm playing with you when I say this - you sure are crying about this to a small crowd :) Pretty sure the majority of the members here would love to hit 460' with anything, let alone talking about removing all the distance drivers because they don't do what you want :P

On a similar note - anything you throw 460+ is a "distance driver" to me..including the good ol' XD :D

If you don't like the OLF/Valk, maybe find something else, maybe not, but don't think for a minute I believe you took all your distance drivers out of your bag.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby Blake_T » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:30 pm

BU:

he's one of my local students, and yah, that's his plan.

i'm sure MDR can vouche for this, when your power starts breaking 450', discs fly VERY different. true characteristics stand out. you get to see how many discs aren't true hs stable.

while it's possible to control many distance drivers out there, the consistency level is often lower on them, which is what MB is trying to do.
Blake_T

Postby dflaschiii » Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:32 pm

What's this 460ft Teebird line look like? How much left-right action are you getting on that toss? I really wish I could watch you do this in person! Never seen power like that.

Just curious, need to know what I should be working towards. I can get 425+ out of Teebirds but it takes a pretty wide fairway to get the extra glide needed to push it over 400. I stopped worrying about distance awhile ago but when I read stuff like this it makes my mind dizzy with possibilities (460 Teebird = 420 Roc!!! with extra power like that I could find some wild lines).
dflaschiii
Tree Magnet

Postby twmccoy » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:35 pm

Blake_T wrote:beato can throw champ teebirds 460'+.

OOOOKay, no need for the high speed stuff then.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby black udder » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:15 am

Blake_T wrote:BU:

he's one of my local students, and yah, that's his plan.

Okay - now this quote needs to go over in the "would you move to get better disc golf" thread... that's a fantastic benefit :)

Must be nice if you can't throw that at least you can see some of your knowledge being transferred successfully.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby Blake_T » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:30 am

What's this 460ft Teebird line look like? How much left-right action are you getting on that toss?

pretty much a straight line drive with a bit of fade at the end. sometimes about 5-10' of turn.

basically, about 10-15' of fairway width.
Blake_T

Next

Return to Equipment