Grip Technique

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Grip Technique

Postby masterbeato » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:24 am

OK, I took some pictures of how I grip now based on the Equipment forum so you guys know exactly what it is. I decided to post it in technique because, well, it is technique. This is the grip tip Blake showed me, I just thought that I would share it a little bit here.

As you see, disc orientation is resting on the thumb pad between index and middle:
[img][img]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b6/Staplesbubble/Picture159.jpg[/img][/img]

This is how it looks when gripped:
[img][img]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b6/Staplesbubble/Picture156.jpg[/img][/img]

This is how most people like to grip, as I've noticed:
[img][img]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b6/Staplesbubble/Picture155.jpg[/img] [/img]

This is very interesting to try I found that you can get nose down so much easier and better pop and wrist extension. This will also give you somewhat of a feel for how the big arms in the world throw when they "hit" their drives.
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby Blake_T » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:30 am

the top grip is similar to the result of the "pre loading" routine that i talked people on the phone about a while back.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby garublador » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:43 am

You could have finished dinner before posting, we wouldn't have minded. ;)

I'll just reiterate that this is a big deal. Definitely try it if you haven't already.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby cmlasley » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:20 am

I've been gripping like this for a long time. I assumed this is what is meant by getting the disc "above the seam of your hand."
Morgan Lasley
When life gives you lemons, stick them in the freezer for a few hours, then throw them back, 'cause they're like rocks, man.
cmlasley
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: OK Computer

Postby jamsisjams » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:24 am

It might be a bit much to ask, but is there any way that you can post some different angles? I can see the difference between your grip and the common grip but I have to admit that I like options. It would be cool to see a different view of what you're doing.

Man, this and the other discussion have me wanting to get out on the course or an open field and do some experimentation.
Tsunami-SOLF--JLS-Wasp-Buzzz--Wizard-Whitler

"Hit me with your wisdom, cow."
jamsisjams
1000 Rated Poster

Postby MR. WICK » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:43 am

Well....I've been doing something right. Thanks for the pictures.
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: the one in my hand

Postby geoloseth » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:44 am

I started griping like that a couple months ago. You will definitely notice a more nose down flight. It does, however, seem to limit the looseness of my wrist when I'm throwing. I generally like to keep my wrist as loose as possible. Also, I tend to only use that grip for long drive that need to be high or if I'm going to distance. After a while it feels like the disc is going to cut my index finger off when I throw.
geoloseth
Fairway Surgeon

Postby black udder » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:05 am

garublador wrote:You could have finished dinner before posting, we wouldn't have minded. ;)

I'll just reiterate that this is a big deal. Definitely try it if you haven't already.

I guess it's confirmed he's another addict, huh? Browsing the forum while eating dinner and though, "Hey, lemme post some pictures!" LOL

Thanks a bunch! I recently started holding the disc there and it has made a difference. As others have said, it's great to get some conformation that it's a good idea.

Blake's comment reminds me I need to make some time to find out about that pre-loading the tendon bounce thingy.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby WIpilot » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:38 pm

dang....I just tested this grip today with a few rounds and i have to say it gives me more distance more control and better nose down trows. :D It also gave me my best round ever on my local course today :D
Keep It Simple Stupid........KISS
WIpilot
Tree Magnet

Postby Midnightbiker » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:40 pm

I have tried that, but I can only seem to get 3 fingers under the disc. I have trouble when I put my pinky finger under there.
Listen to The Love Doctors on Real Radio 10am-3pm Eastern
Click here
http://www.wzzr.com/pages/the_lovedocs.html
Midnightbiker
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Magnet

Postby niuvalleycane » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:34 pm

MB,

Thanks for the pics, very helpful to me who has been using only the Climo fork grip.

Question - For hyzers or anhyzers are you changing posture at the waist, or rotating your forearm?
niuvalleycane
Fairway Surgeon

Postby geoloseth » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:36 pm

Midnightbiker wrote:I have tried that, but I can only seem to get 3 fingers under the disc. I have trouble when I put my pinky finger under there.

Try just using a three finger grip with your index, middle, and ring finger. If you want to, and this is what I do, stack your pinky on top of your ring finger.
geoloseth
Fairway Surgeon

Postby jamsisjams » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:14 pm

I went out and tried this grip today, as best I could from memory, but the results weren't amazing. It seems to work for me but I think I have more to work on than my grip. :?

jamsisjams
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Timko » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:20 pm

jamsisjams wrote:I went out and tried this grip today, as best I could from memory, but the results weren't amazing. It seems to work for me but I think I have more to work on than my grip. :?

It just takes practice. Remember, there's no magic grip, only magic discs. And that magic disc is always the fastest thing out right now.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby jamsisjams » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:30 pm

So you're saying that an overweight Z Force or Champ Destroyer will become my go-to $ disc if I practice enough?

Suhweet.

jamsisjams
1000 Rated Poster

Next

Return to Technique