Ken Climo grip

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Ken Climo grip

Postby TeeRexJJ » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:50 pm

has anyone else seen the "ultimate disc golf show" with ken climo talkinmg about grip. i just recently switched to this grip and it's awesome i get so much more rip on my disc and my throws hold a better line that is very noticably better than my old power grip throws

http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/vi ... php?t=6758

help me get rid of unwanted plastic!!
TeeRexJJ
Tree Magnet

Postby Aaron_D » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:05 pm

that's the grip I use. I find I get a cleaner release and have to worry less about OAT on full power throws. It helps get a better index rip as well.
My Drive-> http://www.youtube.com/user/CpJ123?feature=mhw5#p/u/0/OWX_jHYB4bg

Wizard * Roc * JLS * SOLF * Wraith * Predator
Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby mark12b » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:11 pm

i switched to it about a year ago, after seeing that. love it.
mark12b
1000 Rated Poster

Postby black udder » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:21 pm

I tried it and it just didn't work - discs slipped out all the time. For whatever reason, my fingers didn't quite stack right, so I gave up.

After a few months of stacking my fingers when not playing and some pain in my middle finger (from not gripping tight enough with my index finger) I switched back to the Climo grip. Since then it's worked great.

Biggest thing for me is no finger pain and getting a good release/rip.

I mention this only for those that might not like it after first blush - it's worth pursuing if other grips aren't working. Especially when you combine it with the disc position in the middle of the thumb pad.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby sleepy » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:17 pm

I made a thread a little while ago linking to the Ultimate Disc Golf Show but it got pushed to the second page of this section.

The Climo grip is in the clinic videos on the UDGS website.

Link to my thread!!1 :D

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby TeeRexJJ » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:02 pm

Black Udder i had that problem at first too but i watched it again and it shows that he pinches with his thumb real hard (something i probably should have known anyways) so i added that as well and notced that my drives do three things better
1) go further
2) hold a line better and help keep nose down
3) my accuracy is a lot more consistant now

and what does OAT mean/stand for?

TeeRexJJ
Tree Magnet

Postby mgoofy24 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:09 pm

TeeRexJJ wrote:and what does OAT mean/stand for?

Off Axis Torque
mgoofy24
Tree Magnet

Postby black udder » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:04 pm

TeeRexJJ wrote:Black Udder i had that problem at first too but i watched it again and it shows that he pinches with his thumb real hard (something i probably should have known anyways) so i added that as well and notced that my drives do three things better
1) go further
2) hold a line better and help keep nose down
3) my accuracy is a lot more consistant now

and what does OAT mean/stand for?

I'll be sure and try the pinch...thanks :)
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Postby Grayson » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:07 pm

A few questions about the climo fork grip:

1. Are you pinching hard with your thumb during the full throw (pullback, hit, and release) or just right at the hit??

2. I'm having trouble stacking my fingers as well, I've watched the video over and over, and maybe my fingers are too small for the grip, but they just don't stack well, how much pressure are you putting into each finger (lots of pressure or dig into the pinky fingers?)

3. Is it ok to have my middle and ring fingers on the flight plate, or do they need to be resting on top of the pinky?
Grayson
2008 DGR Donator

Postby mark12b » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:25 pm

i have long skinny fingers and the grip felt comfortable from the first time i tried it... hand shape makes all the difference.. also, it's easiest with narrower-rimmed discs. i don't throw wide-rimmed drivers much.

1. Are you pinching hard with your thumb during the full throw (pullback, hit, and release) or just right at the hit??

i don't really ever pinch hard with the thumb, it stays firm through the throw. sometimes to help keep the nose down i'll to put it a little closer to the rim than i should. :roll:

2. I'm having trouble stacking my fingers as well, I've watched the video over and over, and maybe my fingers are too small for the grip, but they just don't stack well, how much pressure are you putting into each finger (lots of pressure or dig into the pinky fingers?)

i don't have to use much pressure on the ring any pinky fingers to keep the disc firm against the palm. they're pretty relaxed.

3. Is it ok to have my middle and ring fingers on the flight plate, or do they need to be resting on top of the pinky?

i have my ring finger mostly pressing on the back of the pinky but it's definitely supporting the flightplate too.

the middle finger goes out under the flightplate like a fan grip. in fact if you put the ring finger out under the flightplate too, then that's what you have, a fan grip. the "climo grip" is basically a fork/fan hybrid.
mark12b
1000 Rated Poster

Postby TeeRexJJ » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:53 pm

anarak82 are you doing it the way he shows to get it? put the "cheeks" of your palm then put pinky on rim then stack ring and middle on top of pinky then put index on rim? if you watch the video again he explains how to get your fingers right. it feels akward at first but i found that i got used to it really quickly.

TeeRexJJ
Tree Magnet

Postby TeeRexJJ » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:54 pm

put the edge of the disc between the cheeks of your palm*

TeeRexJJ
Tree Magnet

Postby Blake_T » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:32 pm

the way to get the fork grip naturally is to start with a fan grip and simply pull your middle and ring fingers towards the rim. they will stack naturally.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby black udder » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:17 am

anarak82 wrote:A few questions about the climo fork grip:

I'm still experimenting with this. I believe the goal is firm enough so the disc doesn't fall out for the pullback and up to the hit and right around the hit your grip should tighten sort of naturally - maybe on purpose (haven't figured that out). Either way, it's firm but not tight - leave the wrist as much flexibility as you can.

anarak82 wrote:2. I'm having trouble stacking my fingers as well, I've watched the video over and over, and maybe my fingers are too small for the grip, but they just don't stack well, how much pressure are you putting into each finger (lots of pressure or dig into the pinky fingers?)

My suggestion is to just stack your fingers while you're sitting around doing nothing until they kinda get used to it, then follow Blake's advice below - just do a fan grip and move them down to the rip. Mine stack on top, but the flight plate rests on the sides of the fingers. For me, it helps sometimes to pull my fingers together a little closer. You can do the grip "naturally" and it's pretty spread out but I can't pull the rim into my palm like I need to, so I just pull my index finger along the rim towards my other fingers a little. Just makes it easier to grip.

anarak82 wrote:3. Is it ok to have my middle and ring fingers on the flight plate, or do they need to be resting on top of the pinky?

Stack them on top of each other. You want the push into the rim to come from all three fingers through the pinky. The flight plate will rest on the sides of your fingers.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Postby IowaDiscGolf » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:50 am

I use this grip and it's helped me get the nose down as well as involve the wrist to put the proper spin on the disc. The result is fewer sprays from week to week, I feel my accuracy and power are both improving but with the same or less effort. Climo knows a thing or two.
IowaDiscGolf
2008 DGR Donator

Next

Return to Technique