Office jobs....

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Office jobs....

Postby jgarcia9102 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:02 am

so its now 9:00, and ive been at work for an hour now. i assume that the other few people that are on the forums this early are most likely working office jobs also.

so where do you guys work?

I work at Orthoclinical Diagnostics, a Johnson and Johnson company. i have to say, my job pretty much sucks, and i dont know how anyone can work in a cubicle for a living. i work with some awesome people (and its because of them i dont quit), but damn it gets boring here..

right now im changing the billing adresses for about 20 different hospitals to one central address. mmmmmm, fun.

well i guess i should get back to work here, for now. be back in 10 minutes or so... hah.
jgarcia9102
Tree Magnet

Postby garublador » Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:19 am

I'm currently between jobs right now. I just moved and I haven't found anything here (Des Moines, IA) yet. I'm definitely going to end up with another office job, though.

I was working at Unisys up in the Twin Cities as a hardware engineer. Personally, I didn't find the sitting in a cubicle part boring at all. Sometimes, if the task I was doing at the time was tedious it could get boring, but I don't think that had anything to do with being in a cubicle. In fact, most of the boring parts of that job happened in conference rooms in meetings rather than at my desk. Most of the time I was either doing something interesting or working with other people. I liked the job and really liked the people I work with, but we wanted to move to Des Moines so I had to leave.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby jgarcia9102 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:27 am

i suppose i cant complain, my job isnt all completely boring. i do some interesting things, but im someone who just cant sit in a cubicle all day. id rather be out doing landscaping than sitting in an air conditioned building all day, although i suppose id say the opposite if i actually did work landscaping.
jgarcia9102
Tree Magnet

Postby dscglfgeo » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:00 am

welcom to my world :D

I used to be a carpenter, now I sit in a gray square all day. I would much rather be outside sweating my balls off than be inside trying to warm up my hands cause I'm not doing a damn thing. If you would rather be interacting with people and on your feet all day check into retail. I did that for a little while and the job was great but really cuts into tournaments. If you don't play tournaments though you will be able to get in some serious disc on the days you close or don't work(usually during the week) the courses are empty in the mornings. I've actually thought about going back to retail just to have a more prime disc golf tee time...lol

But yeah I agree with you sitting at my desk checking out these forums pretty much sums up my lacluster existence of the office.

Side note, ever seen OFFICE SPACE? That's how I feel most days. :D
PDGA# 23933
Live life to the fullest you never know when it's going to end.
dscglfgeo
Noob

Postby jgarcia9102 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:15 am

Hah! My work IS office space. you will never truly understand the reality of that movie untill you work in offices like we do. the first week i was here someone i work with said to me "jared, im gonna have to have you go ahead and print all of the reports starting from last friday untill today ok? thanks..." in the most perfect lumberg voice ever so i started cracking up. then she asked me what was so funny, and it turns out she has never seen office space..... :shock:

"looks like youve been missing a lot of work lately"
"i wouldnt say ive ben missing it bob"

can you tell im a bit bored right now?
jgarcia9102
Tree Magnet

Postby CincyKeith » Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:01 am

Yesterday, somebody took my Swingline.....and i wanted to burn down the building :o . I really love that movie, but I never REALLY understood some of the humor behind it until I had a 9 to 5 office job.
Practice, practice, practice. Especially with players that are better than you. It's one of the only ways to learn new things.
CincyKeith
Noob

Postby krusen » Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:17 am

[raises hand] Cubicle inmate here too.
I work at Hutchinson Technology. We make suspensions for the read/write head in a hard drive. (If you've ever took one apart, it's the little elongated triangle piece.) I design these. Sometimes it's cool, but most of the time it's boring. I agree with garublador about the meetings being the worst part. I have to tug hair on my arms and chin sometimes to keep myself awake. :?
Is it 5 o'clock yet?
krusen
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Old Mold DX Beast

Postby Jwt4412 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:36 am

I work out of the house and travel. Haven't had an office job in 15 years.

I sent me to the brink of insanity. I was in advertising. Drycleaning bills put me over the edge...
Jwt4412
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: DGA D-Line Reef

Postby some call me...tim? » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:35 pm

Yup, same situation here. I won't even try to describe what my company does, basically doing research on business x for big business y. Lots of repetitive key tapping, and yeah, it pretty much sucks. Fortunately most people I work with are decently cool, I can wear casual clothes, and I spend most of my time listening to music and audiobooks. Problem is though, I'm in the Seattle area and my office looks out onto the Puget Sound, having an excellent view of the water and mountains on the other side, bald eagles gliding around in the air and such. It could be a hell of a lot worse I suppose, but MAN does it get depressing sometimes.

I've worked my fair share of retail, and while that wasn't all great, it did have some moments. Problem is that most retail jobs pay crap, and a lot of times, the customers can be a real pain too. *sigh* I haven't found the perfect job yet, that's for sure, but cubicle life definitely sucks. When you can relate to Dilbert cartoons, you know you're in trouble. Plus there's the ongoing battle against "desk ass." blech. Calgon take me away!
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby jgarcia9102 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:16 am

I am so freakin bored right now. luckily i get out at 12:00 today, so only 3 hours left.

there isnt even a point to this post, i just needed to take a break from sorting and filing contracts.

ya know whats one thing i hate about working with papers all day? after a while your fingers get that dry feeling, and you cant seem to grip anything anymore, almost like your fingerprints are worn off. and then you lick your fingers to try and flip through the pages, but that wears away in like 3 seconds. Not to mention i have about 500 more contracts to flip through.

oh well, at least i have money.
jgarcia9102
Tree Magnet

Postby CincyKeith » Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:37 am

ya know whats one thing i hate about working with papers all day? after a while your fingers get that dry feeling, and you cant seem to grip anything anymore, almost like your fingerprints are worn off. and then you lick your fingers to try and flip through the pages, but that wears away in like 3 seconds. Not to mention i have about 500 more contracts to flip through.

Funny think you mention that. I have one of those rubber thumb things to flip through all this paper.....and i always keep a bottle of lotion nearby. Baby lotion works the best.
Practice, practice, practice. Especially with players that are better than you. It's one of the only ways to learn new things.
CincyKeith
Noob

Postby jgarcia9102 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:05 am

i always thought i should get one of those sticky spongey things that cashiers push their fingers into so they can pull bills out of the register drawer.
jgarcia9102
Tree Magnet

Postby Solty » Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:47 am

I'm an office guy as well...i run the title insurance sector of a 3 billions dollar bank. We got 61 branches in NE PA. Currently i've been swamped with people quitting, and other staff cuts. We recently consilidated our northern office to our central hub while still operation our busy southern hub. I hop on here various times a day to take a glance but hardly have the time to reply, except for time like now where i'm on hold(#8 in the queue)

Mike
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Postby Pagan » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:26 am

Damn, compared to those jobs my job kicks Llama ass...

I drive a truck through a delivery route. My "day" starts about 1am and runs till my route is done. Usually about 8 hours. I get paid mostly by miles, with 400 the average. I just drive to the store drop off the parts and leave for next store. It's early morning so I have most of my time alone and plenty of time to think.

Now if I could just play dg while driving... ;-)
Wizard, Roc, Teebird, Wraith
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Addicted since October of '05
Pagan
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby redspexxx » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:40 am

i work at a rheumatology center at a hospital for 4 doctors. we're a paperless office so i spend 8 hours a day scanning paper and then putting it in a specific place. sucks
redspexxx
Fairway Surgeon

Next

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.