Grip Technique

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby Blake_T » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:44 pm

the answer is no, it is not counter-productive
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi
 
Posts: 5824
Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 12:44 am
Location: Minneapolis

Postby Aaron_D » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:14 pm

I do it above the seam + climo grip...love it.
My Drive-> http://www.youtube.com/user/CpJ123?feature=mhw5#p/u/0/OWX_jHYB4bg

Wizard * Roc * JLS * SOLF * Wraith * Predator
Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar
User avatar
 
Posts: 2338
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:28 pm
Location: Tallahassee, FL

Postby stoneman » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:26 pm

I recently started going above the seam (about 4 rounds ago), and it's made a big difference for me. I don't know if I'm doing anything right or wrong, but I like the results :D
stoneman
Fairway Surgeon
User avatar
 
Posts: 887
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:23 pm
Location: Ohio

Postby niuvalleycane » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:49 am

Aaron_D wrote:I do it above the seam + climo grip...love it.


Best of both worlds imo.

Problem I had last night (weeklies) was with the seam change, my drives were longer using same power. I'll either have to disc down or power down, but the adjustment in my mind is well worth it :)
niuvalleycane
Fairway Surgeon
 
Posts: 745
Joined: Thu May 17, 2007 9:54 pm

Postby kevind » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:55 pm

Been palying around with this now for a few days and seem to be another one in the short pinky club. I get a pretty solid grip above the seam with just a three finger grip but whenever I try to get my pinky on the rim it pulls it down into the seam. So should I continue to try and tweak my pinkey until it's trained or just run with the three finger rip.
kevind
Tree Magnet
 
Posts: 119
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:00 am
Location: Knoxvegas, TN

Postby garublador » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:59 pm

kevind wrote:Been palying around with this now for a few days and seem to be another one in the short pinky club. I get a pretty solid grip above the seam with just a three finger grip but whenever I try to get my pinky on the rim it pulls it down into the seam. So should I continue to try and tweak my pinkey until it's trained or just run with the three finger rip.
I have an easier time getting my pinky under the rim if I loosten up a bit and really focus on applying pressure at the rip point. I think the important thing is that your pinky is on the rim, not that it's on there with a lot of pressure. I don't get a lot from my pinky. If it's not on the rim it could be messing up the orientation of the disc.
garublador
Disc Whore
 
Posts: 3459
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:37 am
Location: Urbandale, IA

Postby JR » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:15 pm

garublador wrote:
kevind wrote:Been palying around with this now for a few days and seem to be another one in the short pinky club. I get a pretty solid grip above the seam with just a three finger grip but whenever I try to get my pinky on the rim it pulls it down into the seam. So should I continue to try and tweak my pinkey until it's trained or just run with the three finger rip.
I have an easier time getting my pinky under the rim if I loosten up a bit and really focus on applying pressure at the rip point. I think the important thing is that your pinky is on the rim, not that it's on there with a lot of pressure. I don't get a lot from my pinky. If it's not on the rim it could be messing up the orientation of the disc.


Second on everything.

Not pulling tightly into yout base of thumb with the pinky helps in avoiding having the disc sticking in the pinky instead of a clean release. Resulting in fewer grip locks. I usually don't hear anything when the disc leaves my hand. Today I used a lot of power into the base of the thumb and got pops and dark red skin and some swelling. This was without trying to pull with full power with the pinky. Ring and middle fingers do much of the work with the index trying to hold on to the disc until you're chest square to the target. Helping with nose down angle too.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia
User avatar
 
Posts: 11439
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:07 am
Location: Finland, sea level
Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Aaron_D » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:59 pm

the above the seam grip is bad for wide winged drivers. I like it best on teebirds and solfs.

if you use the climo grip but higher in the seam your pinky doesnt have to be as long since you are placing it on top of your ring finger in a stack.

I am really digging the above the seam grip. I was struggling with blister on the tips of my ring finger and that has totally been rectified with this new grip. One major con right now is that it feels weird at rest, but that is going away one field practice session at a time.
My Drive-> http://www.youtube.com/user/CpJ123?feature=mhw5#p/u/0/OWX_jHYB4bg

Wizard * Roc * JLS * SOLF * Wraith * Predator
Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar
User avatar
 
Posts: 2338
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:28 pm
Location: Tallahassee, FL

Postby black udder » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:20 pm

kevind wrote:Been palying around with this now for a few days and seem to be another one in the short pinky club. I get a pretty solid grip above the seam with just a three finger grip but whenever I try to get my pinky on the rim it pulls it down into the seam. So should I continue to try and tweak my pinkey until it's trained or just run with the three finger rip.


If you can touch the pad of your thumb with your pinky, you can do the grip. If you can't, then perhaps a 3 or 4 finger grip would work or use your ring finger and stack the middle finger on that?
black udder
Naturally Athletic
User avatar
 
Posts: 4857
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:13 pm
Location: Richmond, VA
Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby kevind » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:31 pm

I can get it on there it just feels so much more solid without it. The more I try it with my pinkey on the rim sitting here it does seem to stretch some tendons in my forearm I definatly am not using now. So hopefully this could be a good thing.
kevind
Tree Magnet
 
Posts: 119
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:00 am
Location: Knoxvegas, TN

Postby black udder » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:46 pm

kevind wrote:I can get it on there it just feels so much more solid without it. The more I try it with my pinkey on the rim sitting here it does seem to stretch some tendons in my forearm I definatly am not using now. So hopefully this could be a good thing.


As I've said before, I tried it and got horrible results. Then I would line my fingers up while on the steering wheel...while watching TV, etc. Then one day I gave it a try again and my fingers fit much better. I tried gripping more firmly and it's been great ever since.

Now, I would say it's not the be all end all grip. There are plenty, but this one helps me.

I believe if you just grip a disc like that for awhile - maybe carry a disc around for a weekend or something (while at the house) or play for a week with that grip, I think that you'll at least come to a solid conclusion - either it'll feel okay to use or it's just not for you.
black udder
Naturally Athletic
User avatar
 
Posts: 4857
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:13 pm
Location: Richmond, VA
Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby Blake_T » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:38 pm

if you are unable to put the pinkey on the rim there is a fundamental problem with the grip. if you CHOOSE to grip without the pinkey that is one thing, if you HAVE to grip without the pinkey there is a problem.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi
 
Posts: 5824
Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 12:44 am
Location: Minneapolis

Postby kevind » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:26 am

if you are unable to put the pinkey on the rim there is a fundamental problem with the grip

spot on.
After months of trying to figure this thing out I noticed that the grip I have been using has been giving me nose up trouble. I have been able to compensate a little by really tweeking my wrist down but it still was coming out flat at best. There is a world of diffrence between nose netural and nose down. One of my biggest problems is that I mainly play alone early in the morning before all the lazy club guys get out tothe course. Self critique can be quit difficult even if the answer is pretty obvious.
kevind
Tree Magnet
 
Posts: 119
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:00 am
Location: Knoxvegas, TN

Postby corey115 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:16 pm

Masterbeato,

when are you using this grip? (drives, approaches, certain distances)
Predator | Avenger | Boss | Drone | Buzzz | Yeti
corey115
1000 Rated Poster
 
Posts: 1116
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:42 pm
Location: Minnesota
Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby garublador » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:00 pm

corey115 wrote:Masterbeato,

when are you using this grip? (drives, approaches, certain distances)
I wouldn't really call it a grip, I'd call it a feature of your grip that you all but need to have to get the nose down. In other words, no matter what grip you use, you need this type of disc orientation to get a nose down throw.
garublador
Disc Whore
 
Posts: 3459
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:37 am
Location: Urbandale, IA

PreviousNext

Return to Technique

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest